YDL v5.0 confirmed for PS3; arriving mid November

Well we know the GameOS reserves one SPE. Not sure if it's for security or what..I know you can isolate a SPE to support secure processing and the like.

I should also mention that Terra Soft is trying to galvanise support for Flash 9 support on Linux PPC, which it currently does not support. They feel they have a good shot now that YDL will be on PS3, but they want as many interested people as possible to request this feature from Adobe via their 'feature request' form. I'll quote Kai Staat's post on the matter:

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2006-October/020753.html

Flash Player 9 for YDL 5.0 --Adobe needs to hear from you!

Yellow Dog Enthusiasts,

Flash Player 9 Beta is now available for Linux, but not for the Power
architecture. Fortunately, Adobe offers a 'feature request' form:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I ask each and every one of you to submit your request for Flash for Yellow
Dog Linux in order to showcase the strength of our userbase with enthusiasm
for the forthcoming Sony Playstation 3.

I encourage you to complete the form as follows in order that we speak with a
single, simple voice making less complicated their support initiative.
Remember, the port itself is never the obstacle, rather the on-going
maintenance and support for any new platform:

This is a: Feature Request
Product name: Flash
Product Version: 9
Browser: FireFox
Web Server: Apache
App Server: Other
Database: MySQL
OS version: YDL v5.0
Feature request: "Please make available the full suite
of Flash applications for Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 which
now suppots the Sony PlayStation 3 --thank you!"

Thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

Sincerely,
kai

So if you want to see Flash 9 on YDL PS3, go here and ask for it:

! :)

Cool ! This is what I need. For my own project, I was going to use open source alternatives. I also submitted the request form.

Well we know the GameOS reserves one SPE. Not sure if it's for security or what..I know you can isolate a SPE to support secure processing and the like.
Is it right to call it GameOS? As I understand it, the 7th SPE is the system OS. That in essence is the PS3 doing it's thing, and the Linux application gets to use the remaining resources. You can't interrupt SPE7 without breaking the ability to switch to XMB, send a message, download stuff from SonyShop, etc.

Regards Flash9, what's currently supported?

It's been touched on, it does seem to suggest optical drive access. If there is, I guess the next question is if you've access to protected content (e.g. can you play back DVD movies etc.).

I thought that matter was set from Staats comment: "Personally, I plan to remove my home DVD and CD decks and use instead a PS3 attached with my home theater for DVD, CD, MP3, and home computer—attached to a 5:1 14 speaker system with HD LCD. Elegant, simple, and powerful."

Sounds very neat. :)

Is it right to call it GameOS? As I understand it, the 7th SPE is the system OS. That in essence is the PS3 doing it's thing, and the Linux application gets to use the remaining resources. You can't interrupt SPE7 without breaking the ability to switch to XMB, send a message, download stuff from SonyShop, etc.

That's assuming the XMB runs simultaneously with Linux. Which would be nice. I think 'GameOS' is the right term for the 'XMB OS' - that's what I've seen it referred to as by TerraSoft, by PC Watch in their articles, and I think even in a Kutaragi interview by the man himself.

Regards Flash9, what's currently supported?

Linux x86, at least. But I don't think it has ever supported Linux PPC (?), or at least not the latest revisions - this has been a long running issue, I guess they're hoping the arrival of Linux on PS3, itself a Power architecture, will prompt Adobe to finally step up with some timely/proper support. It has left me wondering what Sony is doing for flash support in the XMB browser, though - I do believe it supports flash already (?) Maybe Sony is privately maintaining a PPC version of flash player without Adobe having to adopt that responsibility themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PSP only supports Flash 6. The PS3 may be doing Flash 7 only (as it runs youtube, apparently).

It has left me wondering what Sony is doing for flash support in the XMB browser, though - I do believe it supports flash already (?) Maybe Sony is privately maintaining a PPC version of flash player without Adobe having to adopt that responsibility themselves.

Even so, I doubt Sony's Flash player is as advanced as Flash 9. I did a quick check in NetFront but couldn't nail down the Flash version.

EDIT: Oops... Arwin is faster.

There is a petition for a port of Flash:

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2006-October/020753.html

Yellow Dog Enthusiasts,

Flash Player 9 Beta is now available for Linux, but not for the Power
architecture. Fortunately, Adobe offers a 'feature request' form:

I ask each and every one of you to submit your request for Flash for Yellow
Dog Linux in order to showcase the strength of our userbase with enthusiasm
for the forthcoming Sony Playstation 3.

I encourage you to complete the form as follows in order that we speak with a
single, simple voice making less complicated their support initiative.
Remember, the port itself is never the obstacle, rather the on-going
maintenance and support for any new platform:

This is a: Feature Request
Product name: Flash
Product Version: 9
Browser: FireFox
Web Server: Apache
App Server: Other
Database: MySQL
OS version: YDL v5.0
Feature request: "Please make available the full suite
of Flash applications for Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 which
now suppots the Sony PlayStation 3 --thank you!"

Thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

Sincerely,
kai

Do you mean to ask What's supported in Flash 9 ? or What's supported in place of Flash 9 on YDL ?
Yeah, kinda rubbish question! :oops:

I did mean what version of Flash in support in YDL 5.0? Flash8 is only really making headway at the moment having been out for a while. And it's slow on my PC :(. People need to be wary how they use the blur filter!

However, having rasied the point I'd be intersted to know what Flash9 is adding and why it's important (though I've filled in the request already - power t the people and all that jazz!).

I picked up Flash 7 - 9 for one of my last projects and decided to extend it to PS3. To my knowledge, Flash 9 (originally 8.5) offers better speed (new VM), simpler and more complete XML support, more integrated DOM3, CSS, DHTML and Javascript (interface) support, together with many bug fixes.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/features/

In general, Flash 7 (and even 8) programming is pretty buggy when you start to use more advanced DOM, DHTML and Javascript features. Many APIs don't work as advertised (or are too shallow). Guess that's why they did a rewrite in Flash 9.

Great, now to start sending emails begging various emulator authors to start working on PS3 versions of their emulators.

PJ 64
ePSXe (although it will become redundant when Sony get their emulator working)
WinUAE
MAME

Cool. I posted my request for Flash support. Let's hope Adobe listens.

Great, now to start sending emails begging various emulator authors to start working on PS3 versions of their emulators.

I hear that. All consoles up to the DC and all handhelds up to the DS should be good to go.:D

ePSXe (although it will become redundant when Sony get their emulator working)

How so? Emulators allow for updating the graphics and such. The visual enhancements available from even CPU software GPU plugins on the PS3 will be incredible I would think and will probably make PS3's non-upgraded PSX graphics look sad. The only games you'll play directly on PS3 will probably be just the ones incompatible with these emulators.

Back