Ps3 Online How It Works

My own summary of key points.

• Unified login and gamertag - You have one identity across all games.
  • Two types of account - Master and Associated. Kinda like Administration and User accounts on Windows.
  • Single payment method for all content - money is shown in real currency, not PlayStation Points, and it's all handled from one account, for downloads and subscriptions (probably ties in with Sony's bank as I suggested yonks back).
  • Web based interfaces - The store and logins are web applications, which means access via PSP or other browsers may be possible.
  • Messaging etc. - All included for free, though without game interupts for messages. Apparently the OS doesn't take away from the game, at which point I wonder what's a whole SPE reserved for if it can't handle messaging over the top of a game?!
Sounds like what I think most were expecting. And importantly, this was shown being used, rather than being a wishlist or set of promises!

THe "real currency" thing isn't a good idea imo for any online service. Using a points system means points can be given via promotions, gift cards, even thorugh games. Real currency means a credit card is required. Sony can't offer the same functionality to those without credit cards (which is how the first iteration of xbox live worked)

Also not being able to check messages while in game is a bad thing. If they can use resources to notify you of a message they should be capable of letting you read them. Another thing, what about voice support? they won't have achievements from the sounds of things in each game which is a feature I've grown to like.

They do state that responding to messages during game could be made possible via an OS update if there is demand for it.

The question is are most of the games going to be free to play online?

From the article linked above.

Oh - and it's all free, too. The only place you'll be asked to fork over a penny is when you purchase something in the PlayStation Store - all of the online services, from sign-up right through to voice and video chat, are free, as is normal multiplayer gaming. There's no equivalent of the Xbox Live Gold account, where you're expected to pay extra for a further tier of services - the only things you'll pay money for are paid-for downloadable content, or subscriptions to premium services like massively multiplayer games.

THe "real currency" thing isn't a good idea imo for any online service. Using a points system means points can be given via promotions, gift cards, even thorugh games. Real currency means a credit card is required. Sony can't offer the same functionality to those without credit cards (which is how the first iteration of xbox live worked)

Also not being able to check messages while in game is a bad thing. If they can use resources to notify you of a message they should be capable of letting you read them. Another thing, what about voice support? they won't have achievements from the sounds of things in each game which is a feature I've grown to like.

According the article, they have voice and video chat features built into the OS.

Also not being able to check messages while in game is a bad thing. If they can use resources to notify you of a message they should be capable of letting you read them. ....

agreed.... it all sounds pretty good but that was very surprising... I almost always end up reading and responding to friends while in game. You need to be able to find if /when you're playing, if they want you to drop what you're doing to join an online match or if they're just telling you that they bought a new game that they like.

It does say they may add the feature later though, but it's not got all the features that I'm used to on 360 XBL.... right now... of course by the time I am able to find a PS3 (next year sometime) It will most likely be updated.

edit: (oh and on 360 you can have a private voice chat as well with anyone or send/receive voice messages while in game)

Last edited by a moderator:
but basically each company has to find their own midleware solution? like full auto is using gamespy and untold legends using xfire?

Sounds awesome, exacxtly what I wanted to happen. Now, there's just two things to sit back and watch:
1) Do they pull it off? i.e. Does it work well?
2) How does MS respond?

I want either dedicated servers for my $60, or a free alternative like PS3 has. Paying $60 to be hosted on someone elses laggy-ass xbox is BS imo.

but basically each company has to find their own midleware solution? like full auto is using gamespy and untold legends using xfire?

From my understanding SCE already has middleware libraries in the SDK. Developers are free to use those libraries and/or use their own solution. Much the same with hosting servers. SCE will provide them, or developers can use their own. This is all from PSBiz, GC, E3 info from this year.

Sounds awesome, exacxtly what I wanted to happen. Now, there's just two things to sit back and watch:
1) Do they pull it off? i.e. Does it work well?
2) How does MS respond?

I want either dedicated servers for my $60, or a free alternative like PS3 has. Paying $60 to be hosted on someone elses laggy-ass xbox is BS imo.

I dont expect Microsoft to do anything as a knee jerk reaction, they'll probably sit back and wait until the dust is clear and we have the full picture.

According the article, they have voice and video chat features built into the OS.

let me reprhase that. They say that ovice is in but they didn't see the features demoed. or what you need to make that work (i.e headset). this makes me think it won't have this functionality right at the start.

That part that seemed contradictory to me was the messaging while in game. they say you will be able to do it in an update but they didn't include it now so that OS/processing time isn't taken away from the game? That's some odd reasoning.

then why are some companies removing their online multiplayer content?

My guess would be those libraries I mentioned earlier are not complete in some versions of the SDKs, or SCE has been selective about who it gives online details to as they finalize everything. As you've probably noticed, the majority of noise, thus far, for PS3 online games has been for SCE published titles (regardless of the developer). From recent interviews, it seems as though some publishers are just waiting for final details and confirmation. I would except some of the bigger publishers like EA to get the details and support they need just in time for launch.

I dont expect Microsoft to do anything as a knee jerk reaction, they'll probably sit back and wait until the dust is clear and we have the full picture.

exactly.. no need until they see it in action and how it's implemented, how many games use it, how well the system holds up during gameplay etc...

would be nice if they make it free though :)

I'm sure MS has their hands full with the dashboard update and Marketplace music store/WMP11/Zune launch. I'd be surprised if the 360 wasn't fully integrated in all that.

I'm sure MS has their hands full with the dashboard update and Marketplace music store/WMP11/Zune launch. I'd be surprised if the 360 wasn't fully integrated in all that.

Eurogamer was spot on with it's discription of marketplace.

It is just a terrible setup for any large amount of content, void of any search features, sorting, or advanced checkout/purchase options.

It's a nice interface, just not for a virtual store.

That all sounds surprisingly good, and nicely clarifies some pertinent issues (like whether commerce would be unified or not etc. - that's really a relief).

Curious the comments re in-game responses to messages..some further clarification on that would be good. Can you not respond directly via the pop-up, or can you not respond at all in-game (by going into the xmb)?

Re. dedicated servers..I believe Sony has already provided them in the past for some games already, free (like SOCOM, I think). I would not be surprised if Resistance has dedicated servers making those 40-player games happen. Obviously, though, that's a very game-by-game thing. Some games are fine and dandy with the consoles themselves hosting, but some could do with servers..and obviously given the nature of Sony's online model, they could only provide for their own games.

Back