Value of Linus Tech Media benchmarking / reviews *pretend spawn

LTT honestly sounds like a place that just never became professional. Just horrible nerd culture shit that leads to HR and employee problems. They obviously were able to increase production quality, but never developed professional standards and expectations for the employees and content. The content just looked prettier, and they could buy more expensive toys. I sort of question their hiring to. Most of the people don't seem to be knowledgeable about anything, so I have no idea how they got hired.

IMHO LTT represents the PC poser culture which has been growing since perhaps the mid 200x where it's all about show and "entertainment". I don't expect any professionalism (whatever that means is also highly subjective anyway) from LTT but then I don't think that was ever the goal there anyway. For them the product is Linus and the ads. The tests/gimmicks they handle are just vehicles for the show.

IMHO LTT represents the PC poser culture which has been growing since perhaps the mid 200x where it's all about show and "entertainment". I don't expect any professionalism (whatever that means is also highly subjective anyway) from LTT but then I don't think that was ever the goal there anyway. For them the product is Linus and the ads. The tests/gimmicks they handle are just vehicles for the show.

Honestly weird take. If you asked 99% of working adults you'd probably find major agreement about professional behaviour (showing up on time, completing your work, producing quality work, being honest, being respectful of your coworkers, practising hygiene etc), but they may diverge on some specifics. Unfortunately you get some workplaces (especially when they cater to niche communities) that can be particularly lacking in social skills, social awareness and gaming and gaming adjacent industries is definitely one of those things. I've been going to PC shops, comicbook shops, hobby shops that sold D&D and stuff since the 80s, and while things have gotten massively better there are definitely problems a lot of just basic social abilities and professional standards in those places.

Honestly weird take. If you asked 99% of working adults you'd probably find major agreement about professional behaviour (showing up on time, completing your work, producing quality work, being honest, being respectful of your coworkers, practising hygiene etc), but they may diverge on some specifics. Unfortunately you get some workplaces (especially when they cater to niche communities) that can be particularly lacking in social skills, social awareness and gaming and gaming adjacent industries is definitely one of those things. I've been going to PC shops, comicbook shops, hobby shops that sold D&D and stuff since the 80s, and while things have gotten massively better there are definitely problems a lot of just basic social abilities and professional standards in those places.

For some professionalism is about work ethics. Trying your best to not release an intentional bogus product and money is secondary.

For some professionalism is about wearing a suit and present a formless corporate front while avoiding anything the customer might not want to hear even if they need to hear it. Make a lot of promises but when your promises don't work out it's also "ok" while money is the prime objective.

Thorough and necessary video from GN. I applaud them. LTT should be ashamed of himself and his entire organization is a joke.
well, I am subscribed to LTT, for the lack of something better: the "hairs" guy, I don't find him charismatic tbh, then there was JayTwoCents or something like that, another condescending, swaggering mediocre guy which I blocked when he accused nVidia during the capacitors controversy without actually him testing that. Never since I've seen a video of him, and I'm happier now.

As for Linus, he always manages to make him look himself like this condescending "know-it-all" "look I am perfect, and soooo funny and so on". But other than that the content isn't bad most of the time. He also doesn't help himself when he mentioned that if you are young and intelligent that's the type of staff he hires for his company. "Intelligent" is too a broader term and that sounds elitist -something that he manages to transmit to others with his attitude in the videos, where again he looks as if he knows everything-.

I learnt many things from a lot of people in my life, even from the "dumb of the town" guy.

Watching these egomanical Youtube personalities clash is funny, in my books none of them is worthy of technical respect, as they fill their review videos with personal trash and subjective views. These channels have long abandoned objectivity for the sake of drama stunts, entertainment and clicks, and this recent feud between them is evidence enough.

Actually, I trust this girl tbh, without ever haven't worked there. If she said that about DF staff I wouldn't believe her -even if she was right-, 'cos DF staff are the typical every day nerd people, mostly.

The story from the guy in the video is actually super believable to me, as apparently incredible as it sounds.

I love it when people on such a huge pedestal get called out. xD 'Cos they are used to see how everything favours them, they don't know the word humility that when something is wrong they react sooooooooooo hard and it changes the whole thing around. Their apology video is a sight to behold. Still subscribed though, but you know "all that glitters is not gold".

Last edited:
Actually, I trust this girl tbh, without ever haven't worked there. If she said that about DF staff I wouldn't believe her -even if she was right-, 'cos DF staff are the typical every day nerd people, mostly.

My opinion won't be very popular but I am the only one to think that this girls is another example of insufferable Gen Z cry baby?
She may be very right on the events she describes but 2 important things:
1. It's only one side of the story. I'm waiting for the other side in order to make a valid judgement.
2. Whatever happened at LMG, I don't think it's very appropriate to make a 30+ tweet topic in a middle of a controversy with the company involved. It shows a lot about the person (in a bad way IMHO)

my 2cts

My opinion won't be very popular but I am the only one to think that this girls is another example of insufferable Gen Z cry baby?

What she describes, if true, would warrant a serious case of workplace bullying and harassment (with bonus sexual harassment) regardless of generation.

The ability of a group of "colleagues" to target, undermine and mentally harm an individual is something that most people don't really understand until they've seen it.

2. Whatever happened at LMG, I don't think it's very appropriate to make a 30+ tweet topic in a middle of a controversy with the company involved. It shows a lot about the person (in a bad way IMHO)

When would be the appropriate time?

Before Linus' mask had slipped, and she was going up against a hugely popular tech celebrity with unlimited funds (and an army of internet sycophants) to go after her? After all this was over and no-one would listen to her?

If her story is to be believed, then people within within Linus Media Group continued to bully and harass her even when she was at her weakest. Why wouldn't she speak out when her voice was at its loudest?

She may be very right on the events she describes but 2 important things:
1. It's only one side of the story. I'm waiting for the other side in order to make a valid judgement.

my 2cts
She shouldn't have been treated that way if everything was run properly but I guess then she wouldn't have been hired either. The problem is she seemed to get the position by being just like them with this frat mentality, there is a rig upgrade build video thing on ltt channel with her in it as she played into this childish frat culture right through the video. I'm amazed she was hired, when this accusation first came out I was like oh he didn't hire that girl from that build video did he.

I'm not blaming her, I just don't think she was hired because of her skill set for the job but because she was "one of them" so to speak. Anyway he's learned a hard lesson here.

Ray tracing is performance. If we go this route then we may also say that the value of things like 4K or texture filtering are subjective.
I still think they should test it. But how it factors into the conclusion is subjective. Especially when cards are becoming limited by VRAM and you must choose between raytracing or high quality textures. Seeing how the 3070 eventually got burned by having only 8GB vs the competing Radeon's 16GB, I don't blame them for not wanting to weigh RT performance heavily in their verdicts. It seems obvious that the raytracing performance of a card like the 8GB 4060Ti is of questionable utility. Going forward I even wonder how the 4070 and 4070Ti will fare. Nobody wants raytracing with textures that look like they belong on PS2.

Edit: Just realized this is probably the wrong thread for this discussion. My apologies.

Wow sucks to be the guy that thought it was a good idea to call out GN and HWU. That backfired spectacularly.
Absolute dumbass move by Linus. I think these people get on podcasts and it's just stream of consciousness. Which means a lot of nonsense gets said publicly and permanently. 50% of the things I write on this forum get deleted before I click Post. If I were working through this process live out loud with thousands of people watching I'd get cancelled too :ROFLMAO:

It's probably best for most folks to not do live podcasts. Remember the time he was like "I used to say hard R all the time" and he didn't even know what that meant :LOL:

GN is the new gold standard. Give me the same vibes as the old TechReport and PC Perspective.
well, he isn't bad, not great either imho, not that there aren't many alternatives. I kinda always liked this guy ever since I discovered him like 6 years ago, but he's been on and off ever since, for personal reasons he explained time ago.

She shouldn't have been treated that way if everything was run properly but I guess then she wouldn't have been hired either. The problem is she seemed to get the position by being just like them with this frat mentality, there is a rig upgrade build video thing on ltt channel with her in it as she played into this childish frat culture right through the video. I'm amazed she was hired, when this accusation first came out I was like oh he didn't hire that girl from that build video did he.

I'm not blaming her, I just don't think she was hired because of her skill set for the job but because she was "one of them" so to speak. Anyway he's learned a hard lesson here.

Now that I've seen a picture of her, I remember that PC build video. Yeah, I'm really surprised she got hired. As you said, it was likely due to her personality and playing it up with Linus and staff during that shoot like she was just one of the "guys" which prompted them to hire her for the social media position.

In a sense it's not her fault that she was hired for something she wasn't perhaps qualified or mentally prepared for. And while it doesn't excuse the workplace behavior at LTT, perhaps she shouldn't have encouraged that sort of behavior with her own behavior of playing into it which only encourages that behavior by making it seem like she's absolutely fine with it.

There's a reason real jobs discourage fraternization on the job (which appears to be a large part of the LTT "job culture"). It's difficult to know if someone really is "OK" with it or they are only playing at being "OK" with it because they feel their job might depend on it. Fraternization should always be left for off work hours where employees voluntarily get together rather than having to be together due to work responsibilities.

Separation of work and play is important in any real organization. Unfortunately, part of the image of LTT is that it's a "fun" place to work. Something that doesn't work once your business grows to be larger than just a group of friends running it.

Regards,
SB

That is not possible. However, several significant features can be reviewed.
What's the point of a review when you dont do a proper one?

I watched the Billet video from LTT and dont find anything wrong with it:
That isnt worse than using a 10 years old game (Final Fantasy 14) in a review of a 2023 GPU instead of showing the viewers the benefit of reflex.

What's the point of a review when you dont do a proper one?

I watched the Billet video from LTT and dont find anything wrong with it:
That isnt worse than using a 10 years old game (Final Fantasy 14) in a review of a 2023 GPU instead of showing the viewers the benefit of reflex.
This is much worse! They used a prototype knowingly on the wrong part and then mocked it for not working,no where near the same thing.

Could you please take your review criticisms of GN and start your very own, "Value of Gamer Nexus benchmark/reviews *fake spawn", thread and please quit crapping this one up with stupid justifications/rationalizations for Linus' fuck ups? Pretty please?

Hugely entertaining video.

Linus and co are attempting to become the loudest voice in "serious" tech media. How much Value do you place in LTM's benchmarking and reviews of CPUs, GPUs and 3090Ti heatsinks?

Edit: right, I'm off to pack tomorrow's lunch into my LTT backpack.
hadn't watched the entire video until now. And well, my props to the guy for making such a video, being courageous and so on.

Tbh, I take morbid pleasure when smarty-pants people (the kind of people I distrust the most) like LTT who they think are intelligent and have this "I am and sound so cool, so smart" attitude, where every bad joke they make seems so funny and smart to them, and like to sound sophisticated, like being above everything, get called out, and they learn the could truth of humbling and humility. Most people that know me, even my GF -who is always battling with me about how flawed I am but yeah, he loves me for some mysterious reason-, part of my family and so on, had to correct me so many times.... I am no smart aleck though, but I've been humbled so many times. Imho, these people who seemingly "have it all", and are apparently *loved* by a lot of people, are usually the ones who fall a lot harder when something goes wrong.

That's the way most people learn their lessons. Even the most complex or the simplest human is meant to die, and these people aren't divine creatures that's going to change that.

Wish there were more youtubers like say MrBallen, to whose stories I can listen for hours without getting tired but anyways.

In addition, there are some people in this very forum who I consider super intelligent, more than those at LTT and so on, but they seem to be more like your every day person.

Now don't get me wrong, your post in its entirety is bad, but this in particular is truly ridiculous. This controversy is largely based on the work culture at LTT/LMG, GN is alleging this degree of incompetence is fueled in large part by a schedule that is simply unfeasible to conform to and also perform accurate, technically sensitive work.

A former employee chiming on this work culture, and specifically how the immaturity and aggressiveness of the environment is potentially pushing people to the breaking point is totally relevant. This isn't content farming ffs.

Hyperinflation can't account for that gross overvalue.

I see Gamers Nexus has been added to the Nvidia Defense Force shit list. Perhaps we can be provided a list of media outlets that hit the Nvidia marketing bullet points with sufficient coverage and positivity?

Back