Apple is an existential threat to the PC

But how does someone living in the US with an android phone message to someone using an Iphone, since most there only use the build in iMessage app.

SMS, like forever. iMessage builds on SMS it doesn't replace it.

You need to concern yourself with Samsung first before Apple. Then there’s Nvidia and its stranglehold on the GPU market…

Samsung doesn't have a locked in ecosystem. You can buy another brand of phone and transfer all of your apps and data. There are a few samsung apps that might not work, but if you have bought in to the apple ecosystem you're going to pay a hefty price to switch.

Samsung doesn't have a locked in ecosystem. You can buy another brand of phone and transfer all of your apps and data.
You're right, but being tied in some way to the manufacturer of the products you buy does not count as monopoly. Were that the case, almost all motor vehicles would be a parts monopoly, which they kind of are. As for data, I can't think of any data on my iPhone that I couldn't easily migrate to Android.

Most of the apps/games I have on Windows I can't move to Mac. Should we burn Microsoft to the ground for not solving that problem? Of course not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsung doesn't have a locked in ecosystem. You can buy another brand of phone and transfer all of your apps and data. There are a few samsung apps that might not work, but if you have bought in to the apple ecosystem you're going to pay a hefty price to switch.
I take your point but it’s not exactly the point I’m arguing though. I’m simply saying that following the logic outlined, Samsung’s significant global presence and its control over things like fabs and OLED manufacturing, it would present more of a concern than Apple.

I then highlighted that if market share is a primary concern, as well as vendor-specific features (“lock in” features), then in the PC space we should be raising concern about Nvidia’s dominance in the GPU market.

The narrative of the anti-Apple crowd here is one of dishing out punishment to Apple because of their successful products. iMessage is popular because it’s incredibly easy to use, secure, and basically invisible to the casual user. Same with FaceTime, AirPods, Watch, AirTags, iPad, Apple Pencil, HomePod mini, iCloud Photos… the list goes on. In each case Apple provided a better solution than the competition — in some cases it introduced a new product — and one that was easy for the vast majority of people. They ought to be rewarded for that, not punished.

Just because Google can’t figure out what to do with messages, video calls, wearables or tablets, doesn’t mean that Apple should be shackled or punished for pushing out a good solution.

Also, Apple isn’t infallible: look at how it still struggles with Apple TV and the commercial failure of the first gen HomePod. The former has minuscule market share, and the latter was so over engineered that it offered features that most people didn’t care for. Heck, I would bet that most iPhone users would avoid the Apple TV for their home entertainment system — something that would be infeasible if they were an actual monopoly or had strict ecosystem lock-in.

Lol. But how does someone living in the US with an android phone message to someone using an Iphone
Yeah, maybe this is lost in translation across the ocean.

In the US, you just send an SMS message. Every phone since about the mid 2000's supports SMS, regardless of operating system. Androids, iPhones, Blackberries, Windows phones, they all support SMS natively. It just so happens, on an Apple device, you'll end up using the iMessage application to perform SMS messaging -- hence the "bubble color" statement. When iMessage receives an SMS, it colors the message bubble background as green, where native iMessage messages show up in blue.

Which then got turned into the "oh a poor person sent me a text message, because it's not blue and therefore not an Apple iPhone" trope.

In the US, you just send an SMS message. Every phone since about the mid 2000's supports SMS, regardless of operating system.
Are you misremembering when SMS landed in the US or did it just arrive late? SMS hit the UK in the early 1990s. I remember that for at least five years, it only cost 2p (2 pennies - 50 to £1) to send a message.

The technology certainly existed for decades. I'm not sure it hit any sort of mainstream acceptance across all carriers in the states until the very late 90's; my memory seems to think the early 2000's is when it finally achieved "standard" status across all phones and all carriers.

My first cell phone was in 1998, a Motorola StarTac on the Sprint network, and it did not immediatley have SMS capability. IIRC the very first phone I had with native SMS was a Blackberry device, provided by my employer. They had their own native secure implementation as well, however it also had SMS built in. That's where my head is sticking on the dates...

Samsung ... NVIDIA

Samsung has no in house CPU architecture team, inferior fabs, depends on Google for software. Samsung could be a true ecosystem competitor perhaps, but they aren't as long as they depend on Google.

NVIDIA just makes GPUs, they can't inflict damage on the market remotely on the same level as a vertically integrated consumer electronic ecosystem company (including financial services and soon cars).

PS. they don't in-house all financial services yet obviously, but Apple can lay a huge tax on banks to provide access to their customers. It's a strong enough brand they can just take them to another bank if they don't cough up high per transaction fees for online and NFC payments. They have good security in an environment which traditionally had bad security, but much like credictcard companies they are using that to put themselves into a position where they can lay a tax on financial transactions for decades for providing a solution which was special for a couple years. Existing creditcard companies should be scared by the way, Apple is playing nice with them for now ... but that can go sideways fast for them.

Last edited:
Samsung has no in house CPU architecture team, inferior fabs, depends on Google for software. Samsung could be a true ecosystem competitor perhaps, but they aren't as long as they depend on Google.

NVIDIA just makes GPUs, they can't inflict damage on the market remotely on the same level as a vertically integrated consumer electronic ecosystem company (including financial services and soon cars).
Right, so an argument or discussion about competition requires more nuance beyond simple market share statistics.

Yeah, maybe this is lost in translation across the ocean.

In the US, you just send an SMS message. Every phone since about the mid 2000's supports SMS, regardless of operating system. Androids, iPhones, Blackberries, Windows phones, they all support SMS natively. It just so happens, on an Apple device, you'll end up using the iMessage application to perform SMS messaging -- hence the "bubble color" statement. When iMessage receives an SMS, it colors the message bubble background as green, where native iMessage messages show up in blue.

Which then got turned into the "oh a poor person sent me a text message, because it's not blue and therefore not an Apple iPhone" trope.

For me it wouldnt be so much about the colours, but the fact that SMS often costs you money someway, either contract or per sms. We still have that here in EU. If i'd be living in the US with an android phone, my only way to communicate to iphone users is via non-wifi/data solutions, which isnt really enticing, thus making me consider an iphone instead. Its what MKBHD explained in his video....
Like i said, here in the EU we dont have that problem, and even though i do have iphones (iphone 6s all the way to 12 pro max, aswell as androids), i wouldnt like the idea of not being able to communicate with my friends and family if i would be daily carrying an android, other then age old SMS/MMS.

Also, SMS/MMS is very limited in every way compared to whatsapp/imessage etc.

Nvidia’s dominance in the GPU market.

Well, they just make great products..... just like Apple does, according to you? Also, its amazing to see how NV always ends up in almost every discussion.

Well, they just make great products..... just like Apple does, according to you?

Literally my point.

There shouldn't be a need to spell it out, but when companies offer great products and services, one hopes that they're adequately rewarded by consumers. See for example:
Intel: Conroe, Sandy Bridge, Alder Lake
AMD: RV770, Tahiti, Zen 3
Nvidia: G80, Maxwell, Pascal

Like I said in my previous post: the narrative put forward by certain members on this forum is that the reason for Apple's success is entirely due to anticompetitive practices, cheating, or some other reason exclusive of them simply making great products. It's not surprising; and it's, frankly, ludicrous. This has been the dominant narrative put forward by the most vocal members of the PC community since the release of the iPod and iMac.

Also, its amazing to see how NV always ends up in almost every discussion.
You mean that on a website dedicated to 3D graphics technology, it's wild to see a comparison or an analogy raised in relation to one of the only two GPU manufacturers in the PC space?

Like I said in my previous post: the narrative put forward by certain members on this forum is that the reason for Apple's success is entirely due to anticompetitive practices, cheating, or some other reason exclusive of them simply making great products. It's not surprising; and it's, frankly, ludicrous. This has been the dominant narrative put forward by the most vocal members of the PC community since the release of the iPod and iMac.

Well, i personally dont care at all. My current daily driver is a 12 pro max, it has been since i got it, and it will be for a while to come. I never use imessage or facetime (or rarely then), since everyone i communicate with swears by facebook messenger, even the ones using an iphone. I respect both platforms (android and IOS) for different reasons. I just find the messaging situation dumb over in the US, thats not really apples fault though. Its nothing i can relate to anyway since i do not reside in the US.

There shouldn't be a need to spell it out, but when companies offer great products and services, one hopes that they're adequately rewarded by consumers. See for example:

Yeah, about the same when Turing and Ampere came around, mostly due to RT and DLSS they have an advantage, and it does create abit of a situation where AMD just cant compete. Its always better if more than one party can compete other then just themselfs. Apple has a huge eco-system advantage thats hard to match.

MSI Raider GE76 (ADL and 3080 Ti Mobile) review.

Conclusion: desktop class performance... with desktop class portability and battery life.

Jury is still out whether or not ADL can compete with M1 Pro/Max.

Outperforming M1 Max by significant margins in these different benchmarks/tests. Things will get even more intresting when their actually on the same 5/6nm nodes.

Last edited:
For me it wouldnt be so much about the colours, but the fact that SMS often costs you money someway, either contract or per sms. We still have that here in EU.
And that might be part of the "lost in translation" I was alluding to earlier; today in the US essentailly all cellular plans include free and unlimited SMS messaging. I'm not sure about the prepaid card style phones, yet even the non-contractually-obligated plans still provide free SMS. For my own anecdote: I'm a non-contract customer of AT&T thanks to a generous employer discount program.

If i'd be living in the US with an android phone, my only way to communicate to iphone users is via non-wifi/data solutions, which isnt really enticing
I think I understand, however let me restate it a different way to see if you agree... Since the EU requires you to pay for SMS messaging, then the only "free" way for you to send messages is with a data-based messaging service, say for example iMessage or WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger or the like. You could communicate to iPhone users at any point using those other apps, so long as your iPhone person is using the same app. Keep in mind, non-standard data-based messaging apps have no ubiquitous standard, so the same problem exists whether your intended recipient is an iPhone or not.

Said another way, it's not an Android-only problem. The only way for iPhone folks to talk to non-iPhone folks is either to use some other data-based messaging app, or to use the SMS protocol. Same issue, just in reverse.

Like i said, here in the EU we dont have that problem, and even though i do have iphones (iphone 6s all the way to 12 pro max, aswell as androids), i wouldnt like the idea of not being able to communicate with my friends and family if i would be daily carrying an android, other then age old SMS/MMS.
Again, there are other methods of communicating with your iPhone friends that isn't just buying another iPhone. It does however presume your iPhone friends care about you enough to use some other application! Maybe they don't care enough to use another app and would prefer you spend a thousand dollars buying an iPhone instead? ;)

Also, SMS/MMS is very limited in every way compared to whatsapp/imessage etc.
Absolutely it is; the standard is nearly 30 years old at this point. Imagine using any technology from 30 years ago and somehow thinking it isn't a little dated!

Said another way, it's not an Android-only problem. The only way for iPhone folks to talk to non-iPhone folks is either to use some other data-based messaging app, or to use the SMS protocol. Same issue, just in reverse.

Yea, exactly ;) The huge advantage to Apple devices is that they have a standard messaging app that has all these features build in. That doesnt really exist (yet) on android devices, not as uniform atleast.

Again, there are other methods of communicating with your iPhone friends that isn't just buying another iPhone. It does however presume your iPhone friends care about you enough to use some other application! Maybe they don't care enough to use another app and would prefer you spend a thousand dollars buying an iPhone instead? ;)

Exactly what i ment :p This MKBHD video basically covers everything.

It sucks that you still end up paying a few pence each for your SMS/MMS messages :(

And I agree with you 100% Google hasn't helped the situation at all with creating a ubiquitous data-based messaging platform for Androids. For a while, there were rumblings about a 'real modern standard' data-based messaging protocol out there, and I have no clue whatever happened to it. The idea IIRC was some logical super-successor to the SMS/MMS system.

Outperforming M1 Max by significant margins in these different benchmarks/tests. Things will get even more intresting when their actually on the same 5/6nm nodes.
You've posted this already in the ADL thread. They're silly benchmarks because -- as I said in the other thread -- Dave2D tests laptops while plugged into the wall, his software suite generally favours x86/Rosetta 2 apps (duh, he's a gaming laptop focused channel), and IIRC battery life testing was pretty scant in his review. So the fact that an Intel laptop which consumes about 200w against the M1 Max at 80w is not very impressive.

Anandtech, Hardware Canucks, and now The Verge, are at odds with Dave2D's preview. As more and more reviewers pit the two platforms against each other, I think a familiar narrative will emerge: M1 Max's performance/watt significantly outclasses the Intel solution.

They're silly benchmarks

Ofcourse, they show something you dont want to see.

Dave2D tests laptops while plugged into the wall

Because he was talking about performance, efficiency is still on Apple's side ofcourse, but their also on a much superior node aswell.

his software suite generally favours x86/Rosetta 2 apps

No, not true at all, not all software. And where the M1 wins, its an app or benchmark that generally favours the M1 architecture.

he's a gaming laptop focused channel

Yeah, and so is this very forum you are on.

Dave2D's review narrative

Oh, theres a ton of YT videos out there where the M1 Max doesnt outperform gaming laptops, aside from Apple oriented/based apps that favour the architecture or media accelerators. Sorry man, what i find impressive about Apple's new laptops is the power efficiency, not so much performance per-se, and thats talking apps that favour the arch. Forget about anything gaming. Content creation is generally also faster on that GE76, which still costs less then what a maxed out M1 max does.

Back