Alien Isolation [iOS, Android]

I haven't tested them personally, most of my dev work was split between M1 iPad Pro and A10 iPad (two completely different GPUs, requiring equal amount of work to get things running).

Was the A10 the first "in-house" Apple GPU or still PowerVR? How different is the M1's?

Was the A10 the first "in-house" Apple GPU or still PowerVR? How different is the M1's?

A10 was the last non-Apple GPU, A11 onwards are very similar with extra features added (and faster/more efficient). A10 doesn’t support quad group functions and the pixel byte storage (for tile memory optimisations) is half of A11+ so you have to think about it differently. It also doesn’t support a lot of other newer features you’ll see on A11+, a shame Apple decided to ship A10 on the gen 7 mainstream iPad.

Last edited:
A10 was the last non-Apple GPU, A11 onwards are very similar with extra features added (and faster/more efficient). A10 doesn’t support quad group functions and the pixel byte storage (for tile memory optimisations) is half of A11+ so you have to think about it differently. It also doesn’t support a lot of other newer features you’ll see on A11+, a shame Apple decided to ship A10 on the gen 7 mainstream iPad.

Explains why the iphone 8/x are still so capable, most things i test/throw against them still run very well.

Explains why the iphone 8/x are still so capable, most things i test/throw against them still run very well.

Yeah A11 is still very capable. The biggest problem with it on the iPhone X is thermal design. iPhone 8/8 Plus fare a lot better.

Yeah A11 is still very capable. The biggest problem with it on the iPhone X is thermal design. iPhone 8/8 Plus fare a lot better.

Didnt/dont do any long running tests, its some apps that make it run hot (nightsky for example), otherwise still capable enough (and not much reason for someone with an X to upgrade). Galaxy S9+ is still holding up just aswell, about on par with the X/8 (while released a year later ofc). I think phones have become powerfull enough these days, we'd need more like this alien game to exploit them somewhat more ;)

@Clukos

A follow up to isolation. Even older SoC's, like the SD845 perform quite well, even when the device isnt officially supported. When having bought the game on playstore, you can sideload the installer file on a unsupported phone/tablet, and using the same google account where the game was bought on, it installs/certification and the game works. Tested on a galaxy S8 and runs quite well (some modifications done). S21 handles it like a champ, 60fps performance mode if you unlock it (its not available by default). Throttles after a while though :p

12 pro max handles it at 60, dips to below 45 here and there, here the performance mode is available without modifications. Also, it seems that this game automatically adjusts settings after hardware-detection is done, even on a unsupported device, I will refrain from trying anything on the 6s.

Theres alot on youtube around this with settings etc:

Its one of the best looking games on mobile, if not the best. Seems very resource heavy aswell, even the 13 pro max struggles at times. Should be a popular mobile device game to benchmark. it still is genshin impact somehow (not really that good optimized).

Heard you guys are working on total war medieval 2 for IOS/Android aswell ;)

The latest devices A14/A15 are all using ridiculous resolutions, even the reflection gbuffer runs at full res (but fully memoryless inside tile memory, overlapping with the vertex stage of the main view). So I wouldn’t be surprised if they can’t cope some times, especially at 60hz.

Because a lot of the optimisations were targeting memory bandwidth savings, game ended up mostly ALU bound, should scale well onto future devices too :smile:

I managed to sneak in lossy compression as well (A15 only feature), saved a bit more bandwidth in some places.

gbuffer/decal/lighting pass is like 7 targets + D32S8 dsv, kinda ridiculous that it’s running on a mobile phone :D

The latest devices A14/A15 are all using ridiculous resolutions, even the reflection gbuffer runs at full res (but fully memoryless inside tile memory, overlapping with the vertex stage of the main view). So I wouldn’t be surprised if they can’t cope some times, especially at 60hz.

Because a lot of the optimisations were targeting memory bandwidth savings, game ended up mostly ALU bound, should scale well onto future devices too :smile:

I managed to sneak in lossy compression as well (A15 only feature), saved a bit more bandwidth in some places.

gbuffer/decal/lighting pass is like 7 targets + D32S8 dsv, kinda ridiculous that it’s running on a mobile phone :D

I'll say it again, it's a shame we cannot download the iOS version in macOS.

Theres console and pc versions if you want to play on non-mobile devices. Game gets abit repetitive after awhile (your mostly just playing hide & seek with the alien), graphically still quite nice for being a last generation game.

I wish my crotchety vintage peasant Pixel C could run it!!!!! ;)

I was pondering getting an Android 10-12 build off XDA and trying to sideload the game but eh.

Last edited:
Back