Alien Isolation [iOS, Android]

Well, it's out :smile:

Some screenshots from my iPhone 13 Pro (A15 GPU)

51750681067_4456b09a95_o.png

51750680997_61a967a133_o.png

51751751073_daea9791d5_o.png

51751750958_ea484ec1bd_o.png

51751510131_5da549df1e_o.png

This one is running at native res (2532x1170) with TAA and the AMD sharpening (CAS) at 30 fps.

It's basically the same engine and features as the desktop/console version with heavy optimisations for TBDR GPUs (in-tile Gbuffer/Lighting, optimised shaders for hair/skin/shadow filtering, properly handling load/store ops etc.) as well as carrying over a lot of optimisation work from the Switch port. It also supports playstation and xbox button mappings which is neat, you can just pair a Dualsense controller and you're good to go, the PC version didn't have that :p

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think I own any devices that can run it. Looks great though! The last version I played (and completed) was the 360 release. That was interesting to see.

Looks great!

One question, do optimizations carry over to the macOS port?

I’m really curious how it would run on the M1 Max with the work you guys put in.

Looks great!

One question, do optimizations carry over to the macOS port?

I’m really curious how it would run on the M1 Max with the work you guys put in.

The macOS port remains as is (which is running on OpenGL iirc) so it won't benefit from any optimisations made for the iOS version.

That would require a bit of work (and more testing) so idk if it's going to be a thing, Feral's official info on it is that it's not happening so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'd like to see it run on an M1 Max though, it's already blazing fast on the M1 iPad (which targets 40fps at native res in the graphics mode).

Last edited:
On some higher end devices the game can also run at 60 fps (the 13 Pro is running at 900p at that framerate). Apart from resolution all other settings are identical.

Youtube compression is killer but you get an idea :smile:

Impressive graphics for a phone, the graphics/shadows have that Doom 3 vibe to it. I see that the iphone 6s/se 2016 are supported, these phones might actually run the game but in no way is it going to offer a genui mobile experience (i think). This game seems quite resource-heavy, having tested some games in that calibre or below on my old 6s, the phone (with a new battery) litteraly lasts 15 minutes at max at temperatures that high its uncomfortable to old, screen dims below the lowest brightness possible and depending on temperatures, these heavier games either crash or shutdown the phone. Thats besides often having to run everything at the lowest, ultra long loads and low framerates for such class of games.

Atleast on Android for Alien isolation older devices in that performance class arent supported according to the playstore (but you might still try, but the devs dont support it).
I dont know how it is for alien isolation, but i think many games shouldnt be officially supported on such old and weak devices.

Dont find any videos on it yet (just someone that was suprised the 6s was supported), but no tests. Maybe il get the game for the 12 pro max and test on the 6s :p

Impressive graphics for a phone, the graphics/shadows have that Doom 3 vibe to it. I see that the iphone 6s/se 2016 are supported, these phones might actually run the game but in no way is it going to offer a genui mobile experience (i think). This game seems quite resource-heavy, having tested some games in that calibre or below on my old 6s, the phone (with a new battery) litteraly lasts 15 minutes at max at temperatures that high its uncomfortable to old, screen dims below the lowest brightness possible and depending on temperatures, these heavier games either crash or shutdown the phone. Thats besides often having to run everything at the lowest, ultra long loads and low framerates for such class of games.

Atleast on Android for Alien isolation older devices in that performance class arent supported according to the playstore (but you might still try, but the devs dont support it).
I dont know how it is for alien isolation, but i think many games shouldnt be officially supported on such old and weak devices.

Dont find any videos on it yet (just someone that was suprised the 6s was supported), but no tests. Maybe il get the game for the 12 pro max and test on the 6s :p

The 6s is not actually supported, I think that’s just how apple shows the supported device classes on their store, but then devs have add extra information for people buying the game. There’s a hard limitation on memory (3 gigs) mostly because this is a port of the PS4/XB1/PC version. You’d need a 7 Plus for the lowest end supported device :p

The 6s is not actually supported, I think that’s just how apple shows the supported device classes on their store, but then devs have add extra information for people buying the game. There’s a hard limitation on memory (3 gigs) mostly because this is a port of the PS4/XB1/PC version. You’d need a 7 Plus for the lowest end supported device :p

Ah ok explains alot :p Was thinking, the 6s was the fastest phone when it released (faster then galaxy s6), but now its a 6/7 year old phone. A 7 Plus i can understand would perhaps run the game in a better state.
Anyway, impressive title for sure, most comments i see on youtube/fb etc are very positive and think this kind of AAA experiences should take-off on mobile devices, their apparently capable enough these days.

Alien isolation should appear in mobile comparisons from now on i think.

I took some screenshots from my Series X (only has FPS boost so it's basically the same as Xbox One afaik) to compare against the iPhone :smile:

Series X
1_xsxepkyq.png

PC (Ultra 1440p)
1_pcultra46jmm.png

iPhone 13 Pro
1_iphone13proz7kca.png

Series X
2_xsx3qk7e.png

PC (Ultra 1440p)
2_pcultraoyjmi.png

iPhone 13 Pro
2_iphone13proh9kej.png

Series X
3_xsxkcjeo.png

PC (Ultra 1440p)
3_pcultrabpjbe.png

iPhone 13 Pro
3_iphone13proycjmv.png

Series X
4_xsx5ckk1.png

PC (Ultra 1440p)
4_pcultrauykcm.png

iPhone 13 Pro
4_iphone13promdkyg.png

The brightness is slightly different due to how auto HDR works on the Series X I think. But otherwise pretty comparable! The obvious omission here is SSAO, but you get higher res planar reflections, higher anisotropic filtering and TAA :smile:

Edit: I added PC shots using maxed out in-game settings (w/o mods) at 1440p.

Last edited:
The iOS version looks much sharper.

I think the AO used on consoles makes it look lower res than it is, as it is running at half res and is rather grainy. We also run a CAS pass after TAA to gain back some sharpness, which is kinda standard in the industry nowadays, along with the higher res ofc.

I also added some PC shots at 1440p Ultra to that comparison.

Last edited:
Iphone 13 pro > xsx :) Seriously, is the A15 cpu faster then the consoles 8 core zen2 cpu?
13 pro is quite a nice phone, theres not much weight holding it, has a reasonable display size at 6.1’ and still does everything the max has (5 core gpu, cameras etc).

Did/do you test this game on say a s21 ultra/mi11 ultra?

Iphone 13 pro > xsx :) Seriously, is the A15 cpu faster then the consoles 8 core zen2 cpu?
13 pro is quite a nice phone, theres not much weight holding it, has a reasonable display size at 6.1’ and still does everything the max has (5 core gpu, cameras etc).

Did/do you test this game on say a s21 ultra/mi11 ultra?

The A15 GPU is definitely nowhere close to PS5/XSX levels of performance, even if you optimise for it extensively, maybe in a few years :p The CPU is very capable considering the form factor, A15 has 2 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, the perf cores are extremely fast, but I don't think the multithreaded performance is comparable between the two (nor meant to be). Plus the entire A15 SoC has an average power draw of about 2-3 watts :smile:

I'm pretty happy with the 13 Pro, I mostly got it for the battery and it's proving to be an absolute monster (lasts me 2-3 days easily), although I don't really play many games on mobile to stress it out.

The Mi11 Ultra/S21 Ultra should be fully capable of running A:I on the Android side (officially tested devices: https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/mobile-games/alienisolation/devices/#android-devices) but they will have different settings.

I haven't tested them personally, most of my dev work was split between M1 iPad Pro and A10 iPad (two completely different GPUs, requiring equal amount of work to get things running).

Last edited:
Back