Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
who cares honestly, the games are totally different styles.

And i don't see what higher level CP77 does ? Maybe you meant the scale of the map ? Pretty sure it's not bigger than all the levels combined of R&C though, and it's filled with plain dumb AI characters, even the ones you have to fight against !

even if i enjoyed it, CP77 still feels unfinished more than 6 months after release, hope it'll turn out better by the end of the year when next gen versions launch, i'll give it another playthrough.
(not implying that next gen versions will look better or as good as PC, but i hope most of the bugs/flaws will be sorted out)

Last edited:
They achieve this fidelity because the gameworld is of a different nature than CB's or other games and they focus on polishing the things your eye go to imediately. Together with various other tricks. Cyberpunk looks better and is doing things on a much higher level with more features. Flight Sim is almost lifelike. Half Life Alyx was glossed over due to being VR only, but thats one top of the line graphical showcase. Its polished and detailed at the highest possible level, rockstar or naughty dog levels.
Polishing, attention to detail and how everything blends is what matters. Everything about graphics is tricks. So I dont understand why this is an argument.
I disagree that Cyberpunk looks better. Half Life Alyx is familiar territory visually. Flight Simulator is the most realistic game yet but it doesnt provide variety due to it's nature. A flight sim.
But where Rachet and Clank shines is the amount of almost perfectly uniform polish from visuals to animation, the variety, how everything blends, some visual "tricks" that surpass the quality of what was done before and an attention to detail that go beyond the necessary.
If Rachet and Clank is of different nature it is irrelevant. For what it is, for what it achieves in it's genre, it is the closest to perfection you can get. Something you cant say with the inconsistency and brute force approach of Cyberpank.

Polishing, attention to detail and how everything blends is what matters. Everything about graphics is tricks. So I dont understand why this is an argument.
I disagree that Cyberpunk looks better. Half Life Alyx is familiar territory visually. Flight Simulator is the most realistic game yet but it doesnt provide variety due to it's nature. A flight sim.
But where Rachet and Clank shines is the amount of almost perfectly uniform polish from visuals to animation, the variety, how everything blends, some visual "tricks" that surpass the quality of what was done before and an attention to detail that go beyond the necessary.
If Rachet and Clank is of different nature it is irrelevant. For what it is, for what it achieves in it's genre, it is the closest to perfection you can get. Something you cant say with the inconsistency and brute force approach of Cyberpank.

People need to understand the level of geometry is impressive the only things with better geometry is Unreal Engine 5 demo. I am more curious to see if Guerrilla games can scale this level of details into a full open world game. If it is the case like we have very detailed insect in R&C Rift Apart, we will have crab looking like the first HFW trailer when you zoom on it.

This is not a technical problem but a budget and production problem. Can you scale this level of details in every assets in an open world game?

With a SSD streaming is not a limitation into open world but the sheer amount of assets you need to deliver.

Last edited:
While I am not principally against comparing graphical techniques used in different games, the current level of discussion has lead to a lot of posts being deleted by mods.

We try to be discrete when cleaning up threads, but if this continues you may well end up with any post that references a certain game being deleted.

So please think very carefully about the next time you need to have the best graphics ever discussion, and if you really need to have that discussion, find an existing best graphics ever thread or create a new one.

Thank you.

And then you might run into gpu power budget at some point.

If they are able to render R&C Rift Apart or HFW, the amount of geometry is not the current limitation to have this level of quality but for the case of HFW the production of high quality assets. I don't ask better quality asset at least for now. With a good LOD system this is not a problem at all.

Even Unreal Engine 5, they solve the problem by being clever and to try to render only visible polygons. When Nanite will be available for character and transparent material. UE 5 will go faster than now. Nanite is a clever system not a brute force one. More power is always better because here geometry scale with resolution.

We know they can deliver this level of quality for Ratchet and Clank and HFW in a demo on screen and probably better in the future improving rendering technology of lighting and shadows. I hope cascaded shadow maps will disseapear and they will improve LOD technology(continuous LOD) too and improves GI lighting too in the case of Insomniac.

For HFW will they be able to deliver it in a full Open world? That's the question.

People need to understand the level of geometry is impressive the only things with better geometry is Unreal Engine 5 demo. I am more curious to see if Guerrilla games can scale this level of details into a full open world game. If it is the case like we have very detailed insect in R&C Rift Apart, we will have crab looking like the first HFW trailer when you zoom on it.

This is not a technical problem but a budget and production problem. Can you scale this level of details in every assets in an open world game?

With a SSD streaming is not a limitation into open world but the sheer amount of assets you need to deliver.
Well if the gameplay trailer is anything to go by HFW is also highly impressive. Not just the quality of the assets. But the extreme amount of attention to detail, the different effects, like the water, and of course the amount of physics and how alive the world feels. All open world games I ve played so far felt artificial. NPCs (animals or humans) and vehicles are disconnected from the environment. They are experienced like place holders to populate the world. Thats what they are. But being able to hide this in a convincing manner is what makes a world feel believable. This includes the visual flourish and the different behaviors.
Which is also what Rachet and Clank manages to do with the population of each world.

Well if the gameplay is anything to go by HFW is also highly impressive. Not just the quality of the assets. But the extreme amount of attention to detail, the different effects, like the water, and of course the amount of physics and how alive the world feels. All open world games I ve played so far felt artificial. NPCs (animals or humans) and vehicles are disconnected from the environment. They are experienced like place holders to populate the world. Thats what they are. But being able to hide this in a convincing manner is what makes a world feel believable.

Maybe like R&C Rift Apart insect, the HFW crabs are a teasing of the level of details of assets. ;) The first thing we saw about Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart was this insect and the details are the same seeing Digitalfoundry video and I would say better in final version because rendering improved.

Last edited:
Technology core director of Insomniac told like other Insomniac title on PS5, no difference between gameplay and photomode. On Spiderman PS4, Spiderman had higher details in photomode than gameplay. This as improved in Spiderman Remastered and Spiderman Mile Morales.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ra...ital-foundry-tech-review.438547/post-66832210

the LOD talk is interesting, changing LODs depending on camera placement, it's been done before and it's not new, but the transfert speeds now might allow for a far better management, and what allows them to throw the cutscene LOD in gameplay when it was not possible with memory constraint on PS4. If your character is very close and almost the only thing on screen you can throw out of ram a big part of other assets around.

From gaf fidelity vs 60 rt mode:
Ratchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210607214425-1024x576.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210607214459-1024x576.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210607165402.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210607165419.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210607173257.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210607173328.jpg

I will stick to fidelity mode
Edit: probsble fake and its from perf mode without rt
Watched first comparison fidelity vs perf rt mode and only difference I saw was resolution so its probably fake and its comparison to perf mode without rt

Last edited:
I'd definitely choose the 60 FPS mode. Better reflections aren't nearly a big enough improvement to justify 30 for me.

I think I'll likely continue to play games in the same way that I played the PS5 upgrade of Control: 30fps with makeup and a push-up bra for my story focused playthrough; 60fps with a raggy old t-shirt for subsequent playthroughs.

I think I'll likely continue to play games in the same way that I played the PS5 upgrade of Control: 30fps with makeup and a push-up bra for my story focused playthrough; 60fps with a raggy old t-shirt for subsequent playthroughs.

I couldn't bloody aim properly on Control at 30hz.

My kids played Miles Morales at 60hz even before the RT 60 mode. They instantly were able to see the difference. I think we're all very frequency sensitive.

I'll play any game at 120hz given the option. Except maybe Borderlands as the resolution or perceivable image quality is way too low on that game.

Back