Dirt 5 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

I don’t think the game supports wheels yet, so you’re probably right

Reactions: Jay
Seems PS5 is going to be the best way to play this game. They support all PS5 features: adaptive triggers, haptic feedback and 3D audio through the controller audio (with any stereo headphones)

The way he describes the sound and what they do with the new system is very cool!

Seems PS5 is going to be the best way to play this game. They support all PS5 features: adaptive triggers, haptic feedback and 3D audio through the controller audio (with any stereo headphones)

Seems the DualSense special features is being implemented in most third-party titles.

Can anyone buy it and say if its fun to play. Preferably compare it to motorstorm

Can anyone buy it and say if its fun to play. Preferably compare it to motorstorm
Reviews are up. Most people seem to enjoy it. There are several d5 threads about. It does seem like good racing fun. Most people are happy with it graphically.

Reactions: Jay
really curious to see that ps5 review now and find out what they did with the controller. Will still use wheel however; force feedback, pedal control and steering is superior to haptics.

I don't know about Dirt 5 because I haven't played it but in my experience arcadey racing games are better on a pad for me.

More sim like racing games and there is no substitution to a wheel with good force feedback and pedals.

This game does indeed have a long and sophisticated set of technical features, as I would have expected. But they still don't seem to add up to something cohesive nor pleasant looking and not even technically-impressive-looking in the end.

Laundry lists are impressive on paper, but they have to come together into a final result. Unfortunately, here the final result is underwelming, even for a ps4/xbone level game. They must have some very talented engineers and technical arists on their team, and it sucks that this happened to their project, but sill, man, something went wrong with this title.

Agreed. Like I mentioned in the Cherno thread, there's no amount of advanced features that can make up for terrible assets like these:

P3KFqoB.png

pHiCswL.png

I took these screenshots from the supposedly good DigitalFoundry footage. I bet I can take a similar one for each video posted here so far.
People keep defending the game as if it would look better with higher quality videos or if we play it in person, but none of that is going to improve stuff like this extremely low polygon-count boulder.

Though I still think it's great that the tech team is implementing all the new hardware features around, but it honestly feels like this game's asset creations and art direction were extremely hampered by the fact that they had to develop the game for no less than 7 consoles + PC:

- XBone / XBone S (1.3 TFLOPs GCN2)
- XBone X (6 TFLOPs GCN4)
- SeriesX (12 TFLOPs RDNA2)
- SeriesS (4 TFLOPs RDNA2)
- PS4 (1.8 TFLOPs GCN2)
- PS4 Pro (4.3 TFLOPs GCN4.5)
- PS5 (10.2 TFLOPs RDNA2)
- PC (clusterfuck)

I think the game doesn't look good, but I don't think Codemasters alone is at fault here. If anything, they're a victim of the decisions made by console manufacturers to deploy mid-gen consoles and new-gens with 2 performance tiers.

Though I still think it's great that the tech team is implementing all the new hardware features around, but it honestly feels like this game's asset creations and art direction were extremely hampered by the fact that they had to develop the game for no less than 7 consoles + PC:

- XBone / XBone S (1.3 TFLOPs GCN2)
- XBone X (6 TFLOPs GCN4)
- SeriesX (12 TFLOPs RDNA2)
- SeriesS (4 TFLOPs RDNA2)
- PS4 (1.8 TFLOPs GCN2)
- PS4 Pro (4.3 TFLOPs GCN4.5)
- PS5 (10.2 TFLOPs RDNA2)
- PC (clusterfuck)

I think the game doesn't look good, but I don't think Codemasters alone is at fault here. If anything, they're a victim of the decisions made by console manufacturers to deploy mid-gen consoles and new-gens with 2 performance tiers.
Reviews continue to refute this opinion. many reviews state the game impresses visually. It's a game with a lot of things happening on the track which most other racers don't have. If that is where the focus is, instead of the environment, then that is where they put the budget. The game has to make budget for environmental/track changes. That's what they decided was the priority. You can harp on and on about outside track details but comparing it to other racers, sans 30fps racers, you're going to see the same thing likely worse.

It is typical of us to cherry pick the worst and to cherry pick the best and creating a dialog that the whole game looks like either the worst or the best. It's really just a matter of ultimately playing the game and deciding as a whole how the graphics are. We've done this song and dance a million times for a million games. Ranging from AF issues to puddle gate. And now we're at boxy trapezoid hills. All games make concessions in places they are hoping you aren't looking.

I'm' not going to say it isn't disappointing to look at when it's freeze framed in this way, but I hardly think this is a major gripe, considering how much is going on in the game and it's not a gripe that I've seen in reviews yet. There are all sorts of incredibly terrible textures in Drive Club but no one really seems to care because the full presentation is enough to keep you from looking at how bad it is.

Same with FH4, there are some majorly bad areas with bad lighting and shadows. But where most people are driving that's where they put their effort.

Last edited:
I mean, all jokes and criticism aside, this game looks hella fun. I've always been the utter WORST at rally games (all that sliding, not for me) but this sure looks like a good, fun, no strings attached kind of time. So I can give them a break if it's not the pinnacle of real-time graphics, considering how many platforms they had to develop this for.

Last edited:
Reviews continue to refute this opinion. many reviews state the game impresses visually.
To me, the value of those opinions becomes secondary when I can watch footage and make my own opinion about it.
I don't need to form all my opinions by borrowing them from others.

You can harp on and on about outside track details but comparing it to other racers, sans 30fps racers, you're going to see the same thing likely worse.
(...)
And now we're at boxy trapezoid hills. All games make concessions in places they are hoping you aren't looking.
This is just whataboutism, and IMO a poorly founded one. Feel free to find a trapezoid like that on other games though.

Perhaps we could just accept that not everyone needs to agree with each other on whether the game looks good or not, and past the expression of our opinion we don't need to compete it against others'? It's not like you need to prove me wrong.

Back