Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just negated everything he wrote above. Because everything he wrote above was stringing you along for a non 9.2 TF ride but as I've highlighted, he has NO concrete values for anything he's talked about.
NO concrete values??

"target specs for PS5 have been high 10tf to low 11tf for a while, including their more final dev kit."

yes, that's not concrete; by the definition that is a range of values.
You know how it works. Any serious leaker can't disclose precise numbers, only range, because any specific number could make the (NDAed) source traceable (and that source is probably one of his friend). And this is a pretty narrow range.

You know how it works. Any serious leaker can't disclose precise numbers, only range, because any specific number could make the (NDAed) source traceable (and that source is probably one of his friend). And this is a pretty narrow range.
That's an easily solved problem. Leak it to a website with journalistic integrity like DF. They will corroborate it and then they will announce it. Leaker is protected.
And that's where i stand with leaking. If I want to leak information for instance, and it's information I know is true, I'll send it to DF, or I'll send it to other journalists who will corroborate leaks until it's verified enough to leak to protect the leaker and protect the sources.

How do you think DF, Sam, Jez and others all come to similar conclusions so rapidly and why is it that they are often way more correct than incorrect? They are very careful about leaking when they don't feel confident about it and they let you know.

The fun thing with "insiders" is that there is so many of them, if one of them is outed as fake when new info is revealed, the fanboys can jump to the next one they want to believe in who has been more vague and not confirmed as BS yet.

Weirdly enough, nobody seems to be posting outlandish xbox insiders in this thread, only the PS5 ones. Hmmmm.

That's an easily solved problem. Leak it to a website with journalistic integrity like DF. They will corroborate it and then they will announce it. Leaker is protected.
And that's where i stand with leaking. If I want to leak information for instance, and it's information I know is true, I'll send it to DF, or I'll send it to other journalists who will corroborate leaks until it's verified enough to leak to protect the leaker and protect the sources.

How do you think DF, Sam, Jez and others all come to similar conclusions so rapidly and why is it that they are often way more correct than incorrect? They are very careful about leaking when they don't feel confident about it and they let you know.

Playing devil's advocate here, but that only works if everyone gets a devkit with the same clocks. If every developer gets a devkit with a different clock then it becomes problematic to share exact numbers. If multiple developers talk to each other, it'll quickly be known if they are getting different clocks and thus won't share that exact information.

A spread of a few hundred MHz won't affect the final quality of a game if the developer got one that was lower or higher than the release spec. You can always adjust settings to hit a performance target if you are a good developer. Or if you aren't or don't have the funds or time to release then your title may have inconsistent frame rates...something not unheard of at the end of a console generation. :p

Regards,
SB

We need to quickly move on to arguing over specs and pixel counting for the next six years.
If PS5 and XBSX are the same architecture, that's going to be pointless. PS5 will be literally XBSX dialled down by however much percent. We won't have odd curiosities like comparing a faster CPU platform versus a faster GPU one, or one with significantly more RAM speed to contrast memory-limited workloads.

We really are at risk of the most boring console tech generation ever. It'll also mean nothing interesting in the next-gen prediction threads, because we know it'll be whatever architecture AMD has at the time.

We need some secret special source somewhere, or we may as well close down the console tech forum and have nothing to talk about except frickin' games and playing these dumb boxes.

Playing devil's advocate here, but that only works if everyone gets a devkit with the same clocks. If every developer gets a devkit with a different clock then it becomes problematic to share exact numbers. If multiple developers talk to each other, it'll quickly be known if they are getting different clocks and thus won't share that exact information.

A spread of a few hundred MHz won't affect the final quality of a game if the developer got one that was lower or higher than the release spec. You can always adjust settings to hit a performance target if you are a good developer. Or if you aren't or don't have the funds or time to release then your title may have inconsistent frame rates...something not unheard of at the end of a console generation. :p

Regards,
SB

If I wanted to find leakers I'd give every studio with a dev kit slightly different versions of the target specs.

Regards,
SB
let the journalists sort that out. As a leaker I'm only confident about the information I hold individually. I am not the intersection point of all the leakers. That is the job of the journalist.

If PS5 and XBSX are the same architecture, that's going to be pointless. PS5 will be literally XBSX dialled down by however much percent. We won't have odd curiosities like comparing a faster CPU platform versus a faster GPU one, or one with significantly more RAM speed to contrast memory-limited workloads.

We really are at risk of the most boring console tech generation ever. It'll also mean nothing interesting in the next-gen prediction threads, because we know it'll be whatever architecture AMD has at the time.

We need some secret special source somewhere, or we may as well close down the console tech forum and have nothing to talk about except frickin' games and playing these dumb boxes.

Imagine future generations of kids just playing games instead of fighting in the Console Wars. A damned shame.

let the journalists sort that out. As a leaker I'm only confident about the information I hold individually. I am not the intersection point of all the leakers. That is the job of the journalist.
The journalists have all been discredited as "Insiders" so no you have to make the call yourself.

So he doesn't even know the target figure.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems you just repeated this point many times for several subjects, and the answer is this:

1- If he gives an actual number with TFLOPs numbers up to decimals he'll be putting his sources / himself at risk.

2 - Exact numbers have been changing up and down within the last year or so. Telling 11.21 TF is only good for a bunch of people dog piling on them when the thing comes out with a 11.06 TF GPU in the consumer version.

OsirisBlack stated he's in the process of doing just that, actually.

Spell it out to us so we know what you're trying to prevent by bringing it here?
This is a conversation to have in the site feedback IMO.
I'll make my case there, complete with the proper data that I'll gather and organize in the meantime.

You have a problem with the donation bets?
I have absolutely no problem with the donation bets.
I have a problem with the constant derailing, character assassination and indoctrination attempts of the gospel team that has been concerted outside the forum. Accounts that were created less than a year ago around the time this thread was created, and exist solely to derail discussion and spread misinformation in this thread.
Try making a simple search on how many hundreds of times @PSman1700 wrote the PS5 is 9TF / 9.2TF in different ways. It's an account with 11 months and >1300 posts, the massive majority of them saying practically the same thing, in the same sub-forum and in the same thread.
This is just one example. @AbsoluteBeginner follows the exact same pattern. The behavior mentioned in the GAF post I linked to can be observed in B3D very clearly. @Shifty Geezer has observed this behavior here, here and in other posts.

Also take into consideration that @Proelite admitted to having a habit of creating alt accounts just a couple of days ago, and he admitted to it right here in B3D while trying to.. discredit someone else (that post was deleted by a mod afaik).

Again, as soon as the announcements are made I'll try to find the time to organize the proper data. Until then I think there'll just be too much noise, and honestly this shouldn't be within the rumor discussion, where we should be discussing rumors and not agendas.

And if they leak your devkit's GPU speed, thus letting Sony know who leaked the spec? And Sony basically then blacklists you until the start of the generation or even later due to breaking NDA?

And then it turns out to not be the actual GPU speed of the retail machine? So you ended up getting nothing for leaking except for losing access to Sony?

Regards,
SB

The journalists have all been discredited as "Insiders" so no you have to make the call yourself.
sure, critical analysis and thinking on anything written or said is still required.
data points would suggest that journalists are not 100% accurate, but they are more than likely to stand out in terms of correctness over forum posters.
datamining would be better of course; but in a world of secrets being traded; then having someone do some sort of corroboration is still better than individuals adding their own commentary.

OsirisBlack stated he's in the process of doing just that, actually.
That's good and I only wished that he did without posting it on Resetera/Gaf first. Because now if the information is published it's been tarnish by the fact that everyone thinks the journalist is going off what Era/GAF says.
He wanted the credit for the leak, that's why they did it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems you just repeated this point many times for several subjects, and the answer is this:

1- If he gives an actual number with TFLOPs numbers up to decimals he'll be putting his sources / himself at risk.

2 - Exact numbers have been changing up and down within the last year or so. Telling 11.21 TF is only good for a bunch of people dog piling on them when the thing comes out with a 11.06 TF GPU in the consumer version.
And this is a respectable answer to cover your tracks. Once again - back to leaking to a trusted journalist is critical here. This is what we do when there are social injustices, people getting tortured in jails etc. This is what we've been doing for a long time when we were younger before the internet news started taking over.

Try making a simple search on how many hundreds of times @PSman1700 wrote the PS5 is 9TF / 9.2TF in different ways. It's an account with 11 months and >1300 posts, the massive majority of them saying practically the same thing, in the same sub-forum and in the same thread.
Yea i agree this. Something should be done; agenda or not; the baseless thread is always being updated with noise.

I somewhat agree that the github leaks have had their time in the spotlight. It may be worthwhile to just let other things in at this point in time just so that we aren't seeing a repeat of posts.

And if they leak your devkit's GPU speed, thus letting Sony know who leaked the spec?
Cover that in the article by limiting info to ballpark figures and generalisations. At this point, the forecasting of PS5's hardware just needs to be moved off the largely accepted 9.2 TF target if that's the reality. So OsirisBlack can go to DF, present the evidence, and have DF tell the world it isn't 9.2 TFs and PS5 is faster than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back