Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrossPlay required by default in their terms?

The features mentioned are 3D and haptics in the controller, which are new, and an SSD for 'instant loading' experience. Therefore, along the same logic, the other 'features' should be stuff that's new rather than better-than-last-time. Price probably isn't one of them - there have been cheap and expensive consoles before. Portability would be new for a PlayStation major console. In-built pico projector would be new. So would a coffee maker, but the features are probably something realistic.

Most obvious thing would be the DS5's touchpad having an OLED underneath.

Player: "Umm.. forgot that super asskick combo button combination, damn!"
''Press OOOXXXOX, dumb!' says friendly voice right out your controller?

Most obvious thing would be the DS5's touchpad having an OLED underneath.

I don't believe that. The controller has already new things as it is with additional buttons, force feedback triggers and much improved haptics. Doubt they would further increase the manufacturing cost of the controller, especially with an OLED screen.

I don't believe that. The controller has already new things as it is with additional buttons, force feedback triggers and much improved haptics. Doubt they would further increase the manufacturing cost of the controller, especially with an OLED screen.
How much do you think a ~2" OLED would cost?

The voice assistant is going to be one of them, I think. Probably something related to PSVR as well. I doubt they'll have any new peripherals, but maybe another unique feature on the DS5.

How much do you think a ~2" OLED would cost?

I'm not sure but from a quick search a 1.5 inch 128 X 128 OLED for Arduino already costs around £12 - £15. Granted that Sony would get them in bulk so it would be cheaper, but for sure it would be higher resolution than that and probably a bit larger than 2, at 2.65 or something. Regardless, I don't think it is a meaningless cost. Plus, given than most titles will be multiplatform and XBoX or PC don't have controllers with screens, it would probably be barely used to full potential other than 1st party titles. Nah, the more I think about it, the more I doubt it.

The voice assistant is going to be one of them, I think. Probably something related to PSVR as well. I doubt they'll have any new peripherals, but maybe another unique feature on the DS5.

There were rumours of cameras on the DS5, but I guess they were already shot down with the images we got.

I'm not sure but from a quick search a 1.5 inch 128 X 128 OLED for Arduino already costs around £12 - £15. Granted that Sony would get them in bulk so it would be cheaper, but for sure it would be higher resolution than that and probably a bit larger than 2, at 2.65 or something.

That's a very low volume end-user product! A B2B deal for tens of millions of units would easily put it at a tenth of that price or lower.

Wasn't that some pitch by Stadia?
Stadia was about 'predicting future player input' to compensate lag. I think it works by transforming the frame to a future point in time, so your laggy input is on time then.
(Still unsure if i got this right)

"Hey, Playstation, spam the inbox of the player that just me that last FIFA match"

Right now Google is the king of voice assistants, I have an android and a ios phone and the difference between both services is stagering. If I were Sony I would integrate Google's assistant into PS plus whatever Sony has developed, imagine being able to answer to phone calls, turning the lighs off your room or turning on the air condition with your voice while playing. That would be a nice feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back