Can random unknowns on Pastebin be trusted as reliable sources for leaks? *spawn

8 Gig for OS.
The PS4 Pro uses 2.5GB for "OS" plus 1GB at the southbridge for caching non-gaming apps.
Going from 3.5 to 8GB is not out of this world.
And it's not just OS and app caching. There's also gameplay video caching (which will now be longer and at higher nitrates), all kinds of social stuff and PSVR2 could make use of it for e. g. sound processing.

Regardless, this could be a dev kit with twice the memory, so we could be looking at 12GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4 in the final console. Or maybe 12+8 since the second pool uses cheap memory.

700GB/s Memory bandwidth is too high to be realistic even with GDDR6
GDDR6 in a 384bit bus at their rated 14Gbps provide 672GB/s. That's close to 700GB/s already and we're not expecting GDDR6 to clock the same on 2020 as it did on 2018.

- 256bit extensions? You don't say..... 256 bit extensions have existed in AMD and Intel CPUs for yeeeaaars
256bit floating point operations. Hoax or not, it's a clear nod to Zen2's 256bit FPU units.

He suspects that PS5 will have an SSD?
No, he says it will have SSDs. I see no "suspicion".

Wouldn't a discrete gpu make backwards compatibility near impossible and give the recent BC patent registered by Sony
Maybe that's why there's an interposer between CPU and GPU, to provide crazy high bandwidth..

What really gets me though is the mention of an interposer for a MCM that then uses GDDR6. CPU+GPU+IO seems feasible considering AMD's latest implementations, but not the interposer part.
He says everything is 7nm on the chip, and he mentions an io bridge, so does that mean there could be an io die? however as we saw at CES the IO die on the unveiled Ryzen 3000 was 14nm (fabbed at GF). Maybe by Q4 2020 and going forward the cost advantage of 14nm over 7nm will have eroded enough?

No, he says it will have SSDs. I see no "suspicion".
"HD Type and Size actual not final , but we see SSD drives in the retail Unit. "

Ignoring the fact he uses the incorrect acronym HD when encompassing the various storage technologies, he says HD Type "not final" & I read "but we see", as 'but we foresee' (aka predict)
He obviously wouldn't have a retail unit at this point.

14 TF (specially for Sony) looks really too much... I guess 8 / 9 would be sufficient for 2019/2020... but maybe for marketing purposes they will catch 10...

It all reads like something any member of this forum could put together. That doesn't make it false, but there's nothing there that makes it seem like a leak.

In particular, the following makes me doubt its veracity:

It has has AI and Raytraycing extensions not in that way like Nvidias RTX 2080 Gpus but more useable in real World gaming Situations .

More useable in real world gaming situations than already being in use, in games, in the real world? That reads like fanboy nonsense.

That too, doesn't make it fake, because developers aren't automatically immune to fanboyism, but forum dwellers are often afflicted by it.

Not that I believe this 'leak' at all, but the idea of of RT more usable in real-world gaming can potentially be explained by RTX being designed for offline imaging and then used for gaming, as opposed to a system that may be better for gaming. Quite what that tech would be, I'm not sure, but the discussions on RTX explore the possibilities.

Not that I believe this 'leak' at all, but the idea of of RT more usable in real-world gaming can potentially be explained by RTX being designed for offline imaging and then used for gaming, as opposed to a system that may be better for gaming. Quite what that tech would be, I'm not sure, but the discussions on RTX explore the possibilities.

True, but my issue is more with their phrasing than the sentiment of an alternative RT architecture. Had they said that it contains RT hardware different to Nvidia's, I'd understand. For it to immediately become dick waving makes me skeptical.

Just for a laugh, I'm going to make up my own "leak." If anyone can pass this off as a legit leak, anywhere in the interwebs, then I shall love you forever and shower you with Internet kudos.

My leak

Hello there Internet, I decided to take some time out of my schedule of working on a next-gen exclusive, in order to share a peek of the PS5's specs. We only have dev kits, so I don't know everything, but I can at least share the specs for which we're developing.

First up: it's almost a chiplet design. The Sony engineer, who assisted with setting up the most recent dev kits, kept talking excitedly about the chiplet CPU. Higher clocks, better yields etc. But brushed off mention of a chiplet GPU as "currently impossible."

CPU:
As mentioned above, it's Zen 2. It's 8 cores, with SMT enabled, and runs at 3.5GHz.

1 core, and 2 threads, are reserved for the OS. It's overkill, but PS3 and PS4 both reserved way more resources in their first couple of years than their last, so we'll probably get a thread back. Some day.

GPU:
The dev kits are still only using a 7nm Vega, but Navi must be coming along well, because the dev kits have just had their GPU clockspeed increased to 1500MHz. So we're currently playing with 12.28TF.

Memory:
It's HBM2! According to one of Sony's engineers, the retail consoles will apply the HBM stacks directly to the I/O to bring costs waaaaay down. Presumably the dev kits are still using an interposer.

It's 1TB/s of bandwidth. 24GB in the dev kits, but we're programming for 16GB retail, with 1GB reserved for the OS. So 15GB of near 1TB/s memory all for games.

Storage:
The dev kits came with a 2TB HDD, but that'll obviously change across a few retail configurations.

The fun part is the NVME drive! Our kits include a 120GB NVME SSD. We can use up to 55GB of it for our project, but we have to be able to accommodate a save state within that, too. Copying over 15GB of main memory is the easy part, but reducing the SSD usage by 15GB - on a moment's notice - can get tricky!

OS/UI/Apps:
We're not an OS/UI/app developer, so none of this has been formally revealed to us. Neither have we performed a teardown, because Sony would probably frown on it!

We've had an assurance that none of the memory is going to be reserved for apps, so we're not going to have to scramble to reduce the footprint by a couple of GB only weeks before the game launches.

I don't know about a secondary processor, but I think some secondary memory is a given. When I asked the same Sony engineer from above if it was going to be like the PS4's secondary processor and memory, he got a little uncomfortable and responded with "sort of, but actually working."

Just for a laugh, I'm going to make up my own "leak." If anyone can pass this off as a legit leak, anywhere in the interwebs, then I shall love you forever and shower you with Internet kudos.

My leak

Hello there Internet, I decided to take some time out of my schedule of working on a next-gen exclusive, in order to share a peek of the PS5's specs. We only have dev kits, so I don't know everything, but I can at least share the specs for which we're developing.

(...)
Stop with the bullshit, this was not made up. It is totally real and did happen to you, didn't it?

Last edited:
More useable in real world gaming situations than already being in use, in games, in the real world? That reads like fanboy nonsense.

Agree, he must be thinking PS5 is going to have better RT hw then Nvidia somehow. I hope it does cause that would mean it will land on pc too, in a higher end product.

Fuck Konami.

Also, I lied, I'm actually Guillermo Del Toro.

I'll believe that - and your leaks - only when I see it in a pastebin post.

Just to clarify my previous posts:
- I don't believe that (or any) pastebin post to be true. Though that doesn't mean I'll enter the bandwagon of those saying "This is obviously fake because [insert-actually-plausible-spec-or-feature-here]".
The thing seems mostly plausible. Some parts like the interposer and 24GB GDDR6 seem less so, mostly because of the production costs associated. But none of that is impossible.

Wouldn't a discrete gpu make backwards compatibility near impossible and give the recent BC patent registered by Sony I find this bold wall of text a bit hard to believe.
Sure hope it's on the money tho, who am I kidding!

why would it do any of this ? A discrete gpu wouldn't have to waste die space with a CPU portion and north bridge portion. It can also be moved away and have its own active cooling. So if anything it would be easier to do BC.

If Sony goes discless which MS appears to be doing (through the rumor mill) and they keep the console size similar to the current ps4 they 'd be able to have a lot of cooling area for a gpu and cpu.

I would assume that would be the easiest way to create a more powerful console compared to the previous apu systems

why would it do any of this ? A discrete gpu wouldn't have to waste die space with a CPU portion and north bridge portion. It can also be moved away and have its own active cooling. So if anything it would be easier to do BC.

If Sony goes discless which MS appears to be doing (through the rumor mill) and they keep the console size similar to the current ps4 they 'd be able to have a lot of cooling area for a gpu and cpu.

I would assume that would be the easiest way to create a more powerful console compared to the previous apu systems
This is assuming that nothing latency sensitive utilizes the GPU, it's world of a difference in latency going to another portion of the same chip vs separate chip somewhere in a galaxy far far away

Back