Future of MS Exclusives? (Win10 & Xbox One...things)

Except that's clearly not how it's gone. We've a long (over four years) thread discussing the possibilities of an upgradeable console - it's clearly been a concept worth considering. And MS has been all about the software ecosystem, which was why they even got into consoles in the first place. An upgrabeable console would be a first, and a unique selling point for the platform to compete on. While the competition is offering you the chance to rebuy your old games to play on the latest system, MS can offer the software convenience of PC and mobile, with all your catalogue moving with you to your next device. And even cross device, which would be spectacular. There are plenty of pros and cons, all discussed in the relevant thread.

I mean we can still play dos games today. Why wouldn't u be able to play original xbox games in 10 or 15 or even 30 years.
I meant as the old Xbone playing 3rd, 4th, nth generation Xbone titles, not the other way around.

Going the other direction of original XBO running future games, again, why not?
Because:
some day there will be a necessary change in instruction set and/or CPU power for stuff other than graphics (meaning it can't be scaled down).

The old XBone can only get around with games programmed to run at a higher resolution or just higher levels of tesselation. It wouldn't be able to do anything with games using e.g. A.I. gameplay or other simulation features that would require a more powerful CPU.

Disagree. Technology is moving way too fast to have these long console generations. Performance is moving at a monumentally quick rate and its not reasonable by any means to expect that a mid level performance console will continue to be able to keep up with other devices that iterate annually.
imho you might have missed the end of moore's law. Technology is actually slowing down.VR has been pushed back and it might not have been enough. I see not point to compare phones and consoles, or laptops or cars many products are update significantly or not on an yearly basis, nothing new, consoles have always had a pretty long lifetime, nothing new here either. I see nothing in Phil statement that comes anywhere near the close the comment Sony made wrt a possible PS4 upgrade. Too much reading in between the lines and wishfull thinking, it gets ot-ish anyway.

Last edited:
Disagree. Technology is moving way too fast to have these long console generations. Performance is moving at a monumentally quick rate and its not reasonable by any means to expect that a mid level performance console will continue to be able to keep up with other devices that iterate annually.

What? The performance difference between hardware iterations is actually decreasing drastically (in comparison to what we had in 2000-2010). Both CPUs and GPUs have hit a wall with increasing costs and low yield rates for smaller nodes. The only thing that has really changed in a major way is perf per watt which is somewhat relevant for console manufacturers since it decreases manufacturing costs for internal cooling, the psu and the total size of the unit but not enough to warrant a change every 2 years or so.

This is wrong thread (worng thraed), but I would encourage people to consider advances in memory, storage (SSD cache am plz), optical drives, advances in microarchitecture (Zen >>>>>> Jaguar), and advances in peripherals (cameras, VR, input etc) and not just look at advances in node ...

... and then I would encourage people to continue the conversion rite thred. ;)

[ https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...le-or-forwards-compatible-console-spawn.51432 ]

I meant as the old Xbone playing 3rd, 4th, nth generation Xbone titles, not the other way around.

Because:

The old XBone can only get around with games programmed to run at a higher resolution or just higher levels of tesselation. It wouldn't be able to do anything with games using e.g. A.I. gameplay or other simulation features that would require a more powerful CPU.

I posted the longest console generations above. Xbox 360 at 7 years , The nes at 7 years and everything else at 6 or lower. The xbox one launched holiday 2013. So this will be its fourth holiday on sale. If they replace it during its 5th holiday with a new upgraded console then a consumer should still get a full 5-7 years of life out of the xbox one. Which is industry standard

It'll only be good for new games for a couple of yaers IMO. That's how it is with a console transition. Or rather, 7 years, say, from release. All tech becomes obselete eventually.

You mean like how you wouldn't be able to play games on a console anyway after about 6-10 years, like if a new console came out? Nothing changes there, with the exception that you may be able to still play games on it longer than the typical console lifecycle.

You can still play newly released PC games on CPUs released over 10 years ago. You can still play newly released PC games on GPU's released 8+ years ago. Granted you'll have to greatly reduce settings.

The only thing that changes with this announcement is that there is the possibility of faster hardware iterations. What doesn't change is that from the point you buy your console, you'll be able play any game released for the next 6+ years. You know, like current consoles. Except you get to decide when the "new generation" starts for your console cycle. And you get to determine how long your personal console cycle is. You know like a PC, which is basically what it is - a console PC with console UI and a limited hardware configuration leading to a consistent console gaming experience managed by Microsoft, ie - a console.

Regards,
SB

I think MicroSoft wil eventually release games on PS4 for example; same way that they release Office and new Skype versions for other platforms first, instead of their own tablets and phones. Their own marketshare is too small to sustain exclusive games; for console exclusive games they will at best, reach less than 20%.

To be honest, I don't think that Halo, Forza or Gears are that big nowadays. Forza has never, and will never compete with GT in regards with sales. But having it on PS4? It might sell 1-2 million extra.
MS being the developers they can go the Ubisoft-Xbox Marketing deal route: provide console parity down to the single pixel or framerate-cap.

I actually spoke to a top level MS representative about this; our conversation started when I saw he had an iPhone 6, which is basically the same thing. Sell office on <10 % of all tablets/ phones, or sell it to 100% of the market. It's not that big a stretch: sell videogames to <20% of all consoles or sell it to 100% of all consoles

They already have Skype and minecraft on Playstation.

When it comes to Microsoft launching Office Touch on iOS it's because Microsoft need software to be where their customers are. Minecraft was on PlayStation platforms before Microsoft bought it. I didn't know Skype was on PlayStation but one of the conditions placed on Microsoft's purchase of Skype was to continue to provide availability on other platforms. This condition was placed upon them by both the Chinese and EU trade commissions who oversee merger and monopoly issues. That's not to say Microsoft wouldn't have anyway because see above.

If Microsoft did decide to pack in Xbox hardware I don't see them continuing first party study operations and making games for PlayStation. Microsoft's DNA is different to Sony, who have been in content creation - music, TV, movies - since 1987. Games were just another medium to move into. I couldn't see Microsoft putting up with delays with studios like Polyphony (Gran Turismo) or SCE Japan (The Last Guardian), nor could I see them entertaining a partnership with Hideo Kojima for the same reason. Sony seem happy to manage their internal teams like artists, not like engineers, and they seem to have no qualms about delaying things - look at Uncharted 4 - we're now on the third release date?

I've no idea what to make of Phil Spencer's talk. As is often the case when he talks, he uses a lot of words and afterwards you're left trying to decipher what he just said. He is either a very bad communicator or a very good communicator who doesn't want to be clear, but when looking back in retrospect he can say - I told you x, y and z.

Interesting times. :yep2:

With the mess that is the UWP framework, the games might as well be xb1 exclusive. You would have to be out of your mind to buy RoTR on the windows store vs Steam for instance.

I'm sure as soon as the Playstation is running on W10, Microsoft will be more than happy to allow it to play their exclusive titles.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Their market share is too small to sustain exclusivity? More than 200 million devices running W10 is too small of a market share?

For Christ's sake.

I'm sure as soon as the Playstation is running on W10, Microsoft will be more than happy to allow it to play their exclusive titles.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Their market share is too small to sustain exclusivity? More than 200 million devices running W10 is too small of a market share?

For Christ's sake.

There is a diference between a 20/30 million console market and a 200 million PC market.
On the 20 million console market all can play the games and all are potencial candidates to buy it. They are all gamers!
On the 200 million PC windows 10 market, how many play games? How many have the required specs?
You can´t just throw the 200 million number like that!

Though true, I think it safe to safe at least 10% of those PCs are gamers. DX12 was a major upgrade reason, and PC gamers are generally more tech savvy or more inclined to adopt the future when offered for free.

So it's official.... Forza is coming to the PC:

http://www.techspot.com/news/63961-forza-motorsport-6-apex-free-play-version-turn.html

It's a cut down f2p version of the full game this time (so perhaps nothing to get too excited over). But it seems this is just the first step in the full franchise becoming truly cross platform:

That said, if it's f2p, you can;t really go wrong. I'll certainly be downloading and giving it a try.

Now confirmed all future Forza games will be developed for Xbox and Windows concurrently:

http://wccftech.com/future-forza-games-developed-pc-xbox/

Back