Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And unless you can pull a wii you must go for highend-coregamers-earlyadopter-consolewarlovers in the first year

Luckily most will be looking for a console that outperforms their last gen consoles and capable of supporting next gen visuals not those that are looking for their console to match the native resolution of their TVs.

Also, it's worth remembering that lots of people bought 1080p sets in the last, what, 5 years or so? Those TVs won't see a new cycle until they break or until the owner decides they're 'too old'.

My lovely panny plasma will last me for years and even if I can afford a new TV today and in the next couple of years, it will be a long time till I swap it for something newer.

Well, that or my one-click-too-many-OMG-I-just-bought-a-new-TV-online shopping addiction.

yeah, in 3/4 years I can see the adaption of 4k rising, however we have people today who justify not having 1080p - I'd argue that while it'd be 'nice' to have 4k games it'd be better to have all singing and dancing games @ 1080p...I mean, what distance/size screen for 4k to make the difference anyway!?

Are there sub-1080p TVs in the shops now? I don't think I'd be able to buy a non 1080p tv if I wanted to, these days. Am I wrong?
Eventually old TVs will be replaced with even the lowest level available today and I think that's 1080p, so that covers a lot of ground already.
Surely by 2020 the vast majority will have 1080p sets at home, with a percentage making up 4K and I'm sure some new and ridiculous 8K set here and there.

yeah, in 3/4 years I can see the adaption of 4k rising, however we have people today who justify not having 1080p - I'd argue that while it'd be 'nice' to have 4k games it'd be better to have all singing and dancing games @ 1080p...I mean, what distance/size screen for 4k to make the difference anyway!?

Also, it's worth remembering that lots of people bought 1080p sets in the last, what, 5 years or so? Those TVs won't see a new cycle until they break or until the owner decides they're 'too old'.

My lovely panny plasma will last me for years and even if I can afford a new TV today and in the next couple of years, it will be a long time till I swap it for something newer.

Well, that or my one-click-too-many-OMG-I-just-bought-a-new-TV-online shopping addiction.

Indeed. Never underestimate the appeal of new sexy technology, and the cleverness of the industry to propose new and irresistible stuff. For instance those new curved panels http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-xr341ck/

- Curved panel (no need to ask yourself the ideal distance between you and the monitor, it's being taken care, sorta...)
- 21/9, 3440x1440 but 16/9 models do exist (so probably 4K in the future)
- Gsync ready

Yummy! When those kind of screens will be affordable, people (well mostly men) won't ask their girlfriend's opinion before buying them...

Indeed. Never underestimate the appeal of new sexy technology, and the cleverness of the industry to propose new and irresistible stuff. For instance those new curved panels http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-xr341ck/

- Curved panel (no need to ask yourself the ideal distance between you and the monitor, it's being taken care, sorta...)
- 21/9, 3440x1440 but 16/9 models do exist (so probably 4K in the future)
- Gsync ready

Yummy! When those kind of screens will be affordable, people (well mostly men) won't ask their girlfriend's opinion before buying them...

lol, this is me (next year or year after)

@London-boy - I meant in games (i.e a lot of XBO games aren't 1080p with gamers suggesting they can't see the difference.

The truth about curved panels is they are cheaper to make (at least the OLED ones), although makers are trying to sell that as an improving inmersion marketing feature.

I don't think that's true. I've only seen one reference saying they're cheaper, and although that statement was rather ambiguous and could have meant cheaper than curved OLEDs, the context meant curved OLEDs are cheaper to make than curved LCDs, so OLEDs made curved screens a possibility. If you've a link proving working with curved glass and OLEDs is cheaper than working with flat pieces, something counterintuitive, I need to see it!

Last edited:
I can't see how they're cheper to make either!?

And a curved screen would work for me - I hate OLED/LCD/anything not plasma due to the limited tech - it only seems to affect me in the house (I have to point it out) so maybe one of these (at 70") will finally make me happy to have something other than plasma :D

I had someone over the other day and the first thing he said upon seeing my uber amazing plasma was "it flickers. does it stop after a bit or does it keep flickering like that??". Obviously a cheapo LCD TV owner.

They just don't get it. We need to purge the world of these people.

lol, I thought I was in a minority - I used to have LCD (from tube) , it wasn't until I noticed a major flaw that I thought I'd give plasma a go and altho I miss that 'pixel pin sharpness' I have to say it was the best thing I ever did!

I had someone over the other day and the first thing he said upon seeing my uber amazing plasma was "it flickers. does it stop after a bit or does it keep flickering like that??". Obviously a cheapo LCD TV owner.

Using the 24/48Hz mode? I don't notice the flicker otherwise.

They just don't get it. We need to purge the world of these people.
I can not stomach flickering image anymore.
Also it is harmful for eyes.

Luckily most will be looking for a console that outperforms their last gen consoles and capable of supporting next gen visuals not those that are looking for their console to match the native resolution of their TVs.
I think this is true for the initial uptake. However, the "capable of supporting next gen visuals" is where it gets tricky. How large a performance increase is necessary to provide visuals that constitutes an obvious step up from what is possible on the PS4? That question alone can spawn a number of "diminishing returns" threads.
It may be an easier sell to provide new capabilities such as VR, but on the other hand that would be costly, increasing early adoption thresholds and making cost reductions over time to reach more casual or cash strapped audiences more difficult. Furthermore it might alienate the part of the market who simply wants ever more realistic graphics comfortably viewed from their couch.

Overall the PS4 graphics is pretty much a factor of 8 or so above the PS3, both in terms of bandwidth and (even more) in terms of shader performance. Quite impressive given the cost/power draw constraints. At what point in time could a similar step up be delivered at low cost and with living room friendly ergonomics? And would it be sufficiently compelling to drive a new console cycle?

We had a big jump in average screen size with flat panels plasma, and then another one with thin lightweight lcds which made 1080p ubiquitous. The next step to 4k needs another jump in size at an accessible price, it will take another technology.

If next gen takes a long time, by then we might have low cost oled that can be rolled up for transport, there's a major cost potential with oled printing technology. A 100"+ screen that is 1mm flat against the wall, no bevel, easy to ship in a 12"x12"x48" box. If that happens, 4k will become the norm, people want bigger screens, but not the bulk. They want the scifi tech that turns their wall into a screen, and almost disappear when it's off.

Maybe not at launch in 2020 or something, but probably somewhere in the first years after launch, just like 1080p hdmi which became the norm a few years after the ps3 launch.

Easy. Flexible OLED screens rolled like a painting, shipped in cylindrical boxes.

Waiting for the call. It was my idea first.

The recently released nvidia 980ti (particularly the OC one) is a great card for 3.4k and 4K gaming, particularly if theoretically combined with a gsync monitor according to DF:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review

The Witcher 3, High, HairWorks Off, Custom AA 40.7 fps
Battlefield 4, High, Post-AA 69.6 fps
Crysis 3, High, SMAA 59.7 fps
Assassin's Creed Unity, Very High, FXAA 29.0 fps
Far Cry 4, Very High, SMAA 50.9 fps
COD Advanced Warfare, Console Settings, FXAA 96.9 fps
Ryse: Son of Rome, Normal, SMAA 45.6 fps
Shadow of Mordor, High, High Textures, FXAA 59.7 fps
Tomb Raider, Ultra, FXAA 66.0 fps

Those numbers are at 4K during gameplay and without directx 12 alleged improvements, @iroboto confirm me I am not wrong here. ;)

That's for those who are still thinking that next gen won't be 4K gaming + adaptive vsync tech...And we are still maybe 4.5 years before the PS5 and XBTwo...
correct ;) It's interesting because using @name doesn't actually notify me to come to this thread ;) - I just came upon to read the thread and found this post lol.

But yes, none of those games are D3D12 patched yet, if it's going to happen, they implied at the bottom paragraph that they did not use DX12 for any of these benchmarks (they wish DX12 was ready). That being said, hard to know how much of an impact DX12 will have (over 11) as the resolution continues to scale higher and higher - it's really anyone's guess until we start to see patterned results from DX12 based games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back