Intel ULP SoCs

I ordered a Chuwi V89 tablet. 190€ for a fully-fledged Windows tablet with stereo side-facing speakers, 1920*1200 PLS screen made by Samsung, 2GB RAM and a BayTrail. The defining spec was that it supposedly supports 5GHz WiFi networks, so it'll be my Steam Home Streaming client for the house, along with this:

Atom performance is going to start appearing more and more in the 100-200 USD range. With more upscale variants in the 200-500 USD range. I'm not sure Atom variants higher than 500 USD will exist for much longer. All the more interesting when you consider their company wide margins are still stratospherically high.

maybe cheap tablets but something with the same quality screen as in the surface pro ? I would like to see a 13nm atom with 4 gigs of ram in the same body as the surface pro 3 but fanless

Fanless Broadwell is set to take the stage with tablets starting from 500 USD and possibly lower, I believe. It's somewhat amazing how fast Intel is trasitioning into the lower price brackets with their tablet chips. 2 years ago it was difficult to find an Atom tablet for less than 800 USD, with most of them being 900+ USD. A core based tablet usually started around 1500 USD and up back then.
I would be impressed . A surface pro 3 with core m would be really nice

With fanless Broadwell getting into Atom's power envelope, it may be that Intel will, as you noted before, keep performance the same but continue to shrink the chip (cheaper to produce) and lower its power consumption.

Like you say broadwell is down to atom TDPs but atom on the same process should hit even lower TDPs than broadwell. The baytrail stuff is fine for what most would want out of a cheaper tablet. a small bump in ipc and gpu performance while droping to a 1w tdp or lower would really make for an impressive chip.

Broadwell (and followups) then take over the high performance tablet category to compete with Apple and Samsung. While the cost to manufacture Atom based chips for the low end continues to decrease while at the same time offering better and better battery life.

When Intel spoke of breaking even with their Mobile Chip division it may be that they expect the cost to manufacture Atom based chips will drastically decline with upcoming chips while boosting demand for higher margin chips.

There's also the possibility that if fanless Broadwell (or its followups) based tablets end up offering greater performance and lower power consumption than competing iPad solutions, that Apple could be forced into using Intel chips as they were when they were forced to transition to Intel CPUs for their Mac products.
I doubt apple will use intel chips even if performance shifts in their favor as apple has to much control over the chips.

A whole of IFs, and it isn't as if ARM is going to stand still while all of this is happening. It's just a question of whether Intel's progress will start to slow now that they are finally really serious about the segment, or if ARM can increase its progress to stave off Intel. Unfortunately, Arm (and their partners) doesn't have access to Intel's fabs, so they have to do better than just match Intel in design as they have to make up for the fab advantage that Intel has as well.

And there's still one thing that could possibly trip them up. Graphics performance. It is getting better certainly, but it's an area where the competition still has a good chance to one up them. Although with Nvidia doing all it can to slow the competition (in the mobile space) there, that could just play right into Intel's hands.

Regards,
SB

I believe skydale has a new gpu . So it will be interesting to see what happens.

I have a surface pro 1 and I would like a surface pro 3 form factor but with a 10w tdp skydale. I think that is a chip than can out perform the surface pro 1/2 in all metrics.

I just hope they don't go fanless , the thermal throttling seems to be a problem with the core m reviews I saw

The defining spec was that it supposedly supports 5GHz WiFi networks, so it'll be my Steam Home Streaming client for the house, along with this:
The Dell Venue 8 Pro has 5 GHz wifi support. I wouldn't surprised if you get the same Atheros wifi board.

The Dell Venue 8 Pro has 5 GHz wifi support. I wouldn't surprised if you get the same Atheros wifi board.

The chinese specs said it's a realtek chip.

The problem is that the chinese seem to pay little to no attention to the WiFi chip. They only say it supports WiFi 802.11n and call it a day, even in most of the manufacturers' websites.
I had to tirelessly browse through tens of chinese translated home reviews to find a hint that this tablet supported 5GHz WiFi..

And if it turns out to not support it... well then the joke's on me. And I'll just buy a 5GHz WiFi dongle, meh..

There are RealTek cards that support the 5GHz spectrum but they do not show up often in the smallest tablets.

I've grown to despise the Marvel Avastar units in the Surface and Surface Pro 1/2 devices. Not sure if the Surface Pro 3 is any better in that regard...

Care to provide evidence for that?
I was incorrect, it used to be the top performing SOC in the basemark OS II Memory benchmark but the K1 one beat it. The biggest issue is that as you got me to investigate further I'm not sure how those score related to the efficiency of the memory subsystem and memory controller.

That will heavily depend on what is measured. For instance many SPEC benchmarks are compiled in 32-bit mode to get higher scores.

Also look at this post comparing nbench 32- vs 64-bit on Z3770.
You are right again.
----------------------------

I might be late to the party but I just discovered that Dell updated its Dell venue 7&8 with Atom Z3460 with this year. I went on reading the reviews I found and noticed that CPU scaling was not that great past 2 cores (looking at geekbench results).
Intel Ark show some unexpected differences between SOC like the Z3460 and Z3560 and the Z3745 too.
I would have expected the 2 first one to be the same size, package sizes at least differ. Memory bandwidth differs whereas all those chips are listed as dual memory channel (putting memory speed aside).

Anyway nice showing for PowerVR and Intel too as the Z3460 does pretty OK out of its 8.5GB/s of memory.

Moorefield is 22nm still I believe . So hopefully 14nm pushes performance much higher.

Airmont should be much better than silvermont but intel really needs to get its modems in house , they are using 28nm tmsc . I hope they get it in house for the next batch of products on 14nm . We would see drastic power savings

Airmont isn't much better than Silvermont: according to Intel it's mainly a clock increase (2.7GHz turbo). Goldmont will be the improved micro-architecture.

Airmont should be much better than silvermont but intel really needs to get its modems in house , they are using 28nm tmsc . I hope they get it in house for the next batch of products on 14nm . We would see drastic power savings
The majority of power taken by a modem isn't by the digital portion, but the RF. That can't easily shrink to new process technologies.

The majority of power taken by a modem isn't by the digital portion, but the RF. That can't easily shrink to new process technologies.
Sounds like a mini, self-aligning, parabolic dish is called for :)

Dang, didn't see that the new Venue 8 7000 is an Android device, d'oh. Wonder if they'll provide an updated "Pro" version of that box for Windows losers like me...

Dang, didn't see that the new Venue 8 7000 is an Android device, d'oh. Wonder if they'll provide an updated "Pro" version of that box for Windows losers like me...

Wouldn't be surprised to see a Cherry Trail based pro version for Windows at some point. Interestingly, for the previous gen. Dell Venue 8 (9.8 mm) was actually thicker than the Dell Venue 8 Pro (9 mm).

We've come a long way from when Intel based tablets were relatively thick monstrosities (exaggeration) compared to ARM based tablets. And that was only 2-3 years ago.

Regards,
SB

There is a small problem: It uses a Z3580 and delievers higher GPU power.
(I have no idea, if you can simply replace a Z3580 by a Z3745 without design changes.)

Last edited:
Even Baytrail GPU performance is good enough for such devices unless someone truly wants a portable gaming device. I don't have any doubt that they'll have stronger GPU performance with their next generation tablet SoCs, but what they primarily need are better Android drivers. Efficienct hardware is always just half of the entire story.

According to last year's rumours, Braswell will bring a gen8 GPU with 16 EUs.
If the clocks are unchanged, this means about 4-5x better GPU performance than BayTrail offerings.

Looking at these, it'll put it around last year's TK1 and A8X's performance:

(Look at the MemoPad 7 results, that's a BayTrail)

Back