Assassins Creed Unity [PS4, XO]

What I find funny was the amount of trolling from a certain camp when Ready at Dawn mentioned 30fps for cinematic purposes... now it's acceptable from that certain camp. What I find worst this generation isn't the forum warriors amped up noise of which system is better, it's the hypocrisy thats gotten worst.

I think his reasoning is kinda stupid, but I do think AC or open world games in general benefit a lot more from dense and detailed visuals than they do from extra frames. It's not like Ubisoft games demand anything resembling dexterity to play anyways.

In this particular instance, ignoring the generalisations, yes.

AC is all about atmosphere, dense environments and lots of animation frames. The pace of gameplay is generally slow. Choosing 30fps and richer visuals/environmental density is absolutely the right choice in my opinion.

Making it 60fps and reducing the environments really wouldn't make it play much better, as 60fps is only really needed in games with fast gameplay where reactions are critical.

What I find funny was the amount of trolling from a certain camp when Ready at Dawn mentioned 30fps for cinematic purposes... now it's acceptable from that certain camp. What I find worst this generation isn't the forum warriors amped up noise of which system is better, it's the hypocrisy thats gotten worst.

In both cases there is a lack of communication from the developer.

When they say '30fps is more cinematic' they need to continue that sentence and conclude with ' because we can push richer visuals and environments then if we ran at 60fps'.

They are not saying 30fps looks more cinematic than 60fps, full stop. This is what a lot of people chose to hear though.

In both cases there is a lack of communication from the developer.

What concerns me is that these kinds of miscommunication (or regrettable accurate communication - the jury's out) will result in less access to developers, who are usually really enthusiastic about talking about how they made magic happen.

I can foresee a time not so far off where all communication regarding games is done through PR officials.

30fps and 60fps have different feels to them. 30fps is more cinematic because it's closer to 24fps than 60fps.

What concerns me is that these kinds of miscommunication (or regrettable accurate communication - the jury's out) will result in less access to developers, who are usually really enthusiastic about talking about how they made magic happen.

I can foresee a time not so far off where all communication regarding games is done through PR officials.

They can say this stuff because it doesn't matter. Everybody complained about Watch_dogs and that didn't stop it from being a power seller.

In this particular instance, ignoring the generalisations, yes.

AC is all about atmosphere, dense environments and lots of animation frames. The pace of gameplay is generally slow. Choosing 30fps and richer visuals/environmental density is absolutely the right choice in my opinion.

Making it 60fps and reducing the environments really wouldn't make it play much better, as 60fps is only really needed in games with fast gameplay where reactions are critical.

And you believe this is going to fly with PC gamers - um, good luck with that.

They are not saying 30fps looks more cinematic than 60fps, full stop. This is what a lot of people chose to hear though.

I actually think this is exactly what the pr mouth pieces are saying. Otherwise why reference The Hobbit? If you look at all the PR blunders over the years, you'd be forgiven for thinking that your average PR person is aggressively disinterested in the wares he's supposed to peddle.

I think TR was superb at 60fps. Also 30fps RnC is just not as fun as the 60fps RnC. In fact that game suffered the most from the frame rate drop. I wonder if he has even played that game.
And 60fps offers blur free Fab IQ, not the opposite. Of course, we have limited h/w power and we can't have both gfx and fps. I think if he had achieved 60fps, he would have been telling us the opposite. He is just trying to sell what he has. A game that relies heavily on timing your button presses in combat can only benefit from higher frame rate.

And just a day back his producer was saying that if it was for gfx they could go for 100fps, but it is because of the AI that they can't go beyond 30 as the game is CPU bound due to the AI. Not for cinematic purposes but because the CPUs of these consoles cannot handle the AI.
Listening to these guys has no meaning. They are just justifiying what they have.

Like Sigfried said, that's exactly what they are saying. Obviously 30fps can be more preferable to 60fps if it comes with twice the power to spend on each pixel but they are saying 30fps is better than 60fps all other things being equal.

And it's total rubbish. It's nothing but a ploy to convince people not to think poorly of a game for running at 30fps by telling them that less is actually more.

As a PC gamer with the option to run most games at 60fps or 30fps the idea of running anything at 30fps without a corresponding increase in the graphics quality is laughable.

30fps vs 60fps computer graphics is nothing whatsoever like like 24fps vs 48fps live action film (which I agree can look weird/too real).

30fps vs 60fps computer graphics is nothing whatsoever like like 24fps vs 48fps live action film (which I agree can look weird/too real).

The only way to compare 24/48 fps live action film is to watch The Hobbit in 48 fps 3D and then in 24 fps 3D. Very few people have done that.

If you want to compare 30/60 fps in a setting similar to AC you can try PS4 TLOU and toggle the 30 fps on/off.

It's all because of the weak console CPUs, AC games have traditionally been CPU bound, looks like Unity is no exception. They now have many more NPCs, more complex AI behaviors and more animations. It's only natural they become limited by the CPU. Hence the drop to 30 fps.

If you want to compare 30/60 fps in a setting similar to AC you can try PS4 TLOU and toggle the 30 fps on/off.

I didn't even click that the context of the 30fps comment was in relation to Assassins Creed. That frankly makes it even more absurd. Whilst playing AC4 I had the choice of locking the frame rate or 30fps or unlocking it for about 45-55 fps (with minor tearing) and there simply wasn't a choice. The unlocked frame rate was hugely better.

I recall a similar result with AC2 when I got a CPU upgrade and went from an unclocked 30-40 fps to a solid 60fps. The difference was night and day.

And you believe this is going to fly with PC gamers - um, good luck with that.
PC gamers that have been spoiled by the lack of high-end PC games.

It is absolutely like 24fps vs 48fps in live action films for games with realistic graphics.

The same thing applies, some people prefer 60fps and some prefer 30fps.

It is absolutely like 24fps vs 48fps in live action films for games with realistic graphics.

The same thing applies, some people prefer 60fps and some prefer 30fps.

By that logic then I assume you will agree that 24fps is preferable to 30fps since it's "even more cinematic" than 30fps?

Funnily enough, even that difference matters in my recent experience. On our last big project we've delivered cinematics for a console game at 30fps - and in some scenes, it looked and felt noticeably different to me than 24fps. Just some simple camera pans and slow character movement, but it still mattered somehow.

However I'm not sure about our theater room's tech specifics, ie. what's the projector's actual refresh rate for 24fps and 30fps material, does it adjust or is there some pulldown/whatever... It's a relatively big screen and cinema seats, nice for dailies ;)

By that logic then I assume you will agree that 24fps is preferable to 30fps since it's "even more cinematic" than 30fps?
Not necessarily. There would be nothing hypocritical about preferring 30fps to 60fps for "cinematic" reasons, while also prefering 30fps to 24fps because by 24fps the unresponsiveness and stutter becomes too problematic, or some such business.

Have they said how they simulate the 180 degree shutter and associated film motion blur in game code? I don't know if anyone has yet to be able to simulate the traditional look of film in a video game yet, which is why to me 30 fps in games tends to just look "bad" rather than looking cinematic.

Back