MS's business future, particuarly in mobile space *spawn

I do not understand the google maps issue. Was it not possible to use the google maps web site on Windows phones?

I do not understand the google maps issue. Was it not possible to use the google maps web site on Windows phones?

Before or after Google blocked Windows Phones web-browser access?

Microsoft's strategy for tablets is to push hybrid or convertible designs like their own Surface devices or those by their PC OEMs, using Intel processors.

So these are basically laptop internals which convert or detach into a tablet form factor. But they tend to be more expensive, heavier and while battery life is improving, still trail the ARM devices.

This is a fairly positive review of a Haswell convertible:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...rade-improves-an-already-good-convertible-pc/

But one of the criticisms in the review is how often the fan spins up. So one of the tradeoffs or baggage that comes with legacy software compatibility is higher price, bigger/heavier form factors, higher power consumption and fans.

It doesn't seem like these convertible devices will find as large a market as ARM devices, if for nothing else than the fact that these Intel hybrids cost hundreds more.

But is there a potentially larger market of people who want legacy software if the price delta wasn't as significant?

I remember a story long ago about Commodore approaching MS to develop Office for the Amiga, and MS asked a million bucks minimum. Without Office, the Amiga couldn't compete in the office space and that helped contribute to its demise.

I can see why Google don't want another competitor. iOS they have to support as it owns such a signficant market, but squeezing out rivals makes sense from a business POV. It's strange to see MS on the receiving end, getting squeezed out because they aren't big enough to push ahead.

The problem for Google is if they start denying these monopolies to competiors in the cell phone market they will get introuble with goverments.

No youtube is going to bring down a lot of heat on them. I'm surprised they haven't been taken to the cleaners by the EU yet.

Microsoft's strategy for tablets is to push hybrid or convertible designs like their own Surface devices or those by their PC OEMs, using Intel processors.

So these are basically laptop internals which convert or detach into a tablet form factor. But they tend to be more expensive, heavier and while battery life is improving, still trail the ARM devices.

This is a fairly positive review of a Haswell convertible:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...rade-improves-an-already-good-convertible-pc/

But one of the criticisms in the review is how often the fan spins up. So one of the tradeoffs or baggage that comes with legacy software compatibility is higher price, bigger/heavier form factors, higher power consumption and fans.

It doesn't seem like these convertible devices will find as large a market as ARM devices, if for nothing else than the fact that these Intel hybrids cost hundreds more.

But is there a potentially larger market of people who want legacy software if the price delta wasn't as significant?

THe new baytrail atom's offer great legacy support and performance with no fans.

Broadwell should bring more performance than haswell and should fit into fanless designs.

If this thread continues to discuss the state and future of mobile phones as opposed to MS's long-term business strategy, I probably ought to close it up. Is there anything about MS really still to say?

Leave it up a little while longer. 8.1 will be out in a week, and either that will get a new thread, or will revive this one further. ;) I'll certainly be interested in discussing it further, as I'm training myself on Windows 8 (RT) development right now.

I am unsure if Google did that or Google just served up the normal web site for WP devices. Do you know more?

Google wouldnt provide MS the internal APIs that it provides to Apple and itself in order to make apps with access to the Google backend servers. When MS tried to go around them and create approvable apps, Google either changed elements of the API to break the app or flat out denied the application access. Pretty nasty stuff.

Google wouldnt provide MS the internal APIs that it provides to Apple and itself in order to make apps with access to the Google backend servers. When MS tried to go around them and create approvable apps, Google either changed elements of the API to break the app or flat out denied the application access. Pretty nasty stuff.

OK. MS has of course never made it difficult for competitors.....

Anyway, what has that to do with my original question that you quoted?

OK. MS has of course never made it difficult for competitors.....

Anyway, what has that to do with my original question that you quoted?

Microsoft saved Apple from dieing and has a lot of it's services and products on competing platforms and are even more up to date most of the time than on their own platforms.

Microsoft saved Apple from dieing and has a lot of it's services and products on competing platforms and are even more up to date most of the time than on their own platforms.

This still has nothing to do with my original question that blakejedi quoted.

Nasty? Nasty would be trying to leech from Youtube's content, sucking down their bandwidth, without serving any Ads and generating revenue back for YouTube.

They aren't giving any special API access to 'Apple', Google builds both the Android and the iOS apps themselves. It's up to them if they want to use internal APIs to access their own content, which aren't exposed to 3rd parties. This is industry standard behavior across the board.

MS just wants special treatment, and think they can break the rules as they see fit.

Also, I would imagine Google would be more amenable to helping MS, if MS hadn't spent the last 2 years patent trolling every Android device maker and strong-arming them into royalty payments for an OS they did not create.

What is Google's incentive for helping MS compete better against Android products?

If Windows Phone represented hundreds of millions of devices, Google would have no choice but to make sure they could access Google services, since they live on ad revenue.

If Windows Phone represented hundreds of millions of devices, Google would have no choice but to make sure they could access Google services, since they live on ad revenue.

If MS wants a top-end YouTube app, then they just need to move a meaningful number of units and Google will build the app themselves. Until then, they get the same treatment as Blackberry, Tizen, Firefox OS and any other marginal player, and *gasp* they need to follow the same rules.

Nasty? Nasty would be trying to leech from Youtube's content, sucking down their bandwidth, without serving any Ads and generating revenue back for YouTube.

They aren't giving any special API access to 'Apple', Google builds both the Android and the iOS apps themselves. It's up to them if they want to use internal APIs to access their own content, which aren't exposed to 3rd parties. This is industry standard behavior across the board.

MS just wants special treatment, and think they can break the rules as they see fit.

Also, I would imagine Google would be more amenable to helping MS, if MS hadn't spent the last 2 years patent trolling every Android device maker and strong-arming them into royalty payments for an OS they did not create.

first of all relax. second of all ms did make exactly the app that google required. then google STILL blocked the app. then google decided that the only app MS could make that would give it access to youtube apis is AN HTML5 app... which doesnt exist for any other environment and a ridiculous request.

As far as your diatribe about trolling android makers MS owns patents and thise makers run afoul of those patents. period. there has been a protracted fight worldwide which google/motorola has been losing.

google exhibits all the trademark aspects of a monopoly yet its only now they are being called on it. Google built itself on windows. people used the windows platform and ie to access and use google search that started it as company and a force. now they are just another piece of crap tech company leveraging peoples personal information for monetary gain.

my personal hope is that the windows 8 os foundation (8, xbox, phone and tablet) continues to grow and eventually grows to match or at least challenge the android ecosystem. i dont hate google but i do think they are a piece of shyt company using piece of shit tactics.

"I am unsure if Google did that or Google just served up the normal web site for WP devices. Do you know more?"

asked and answered. are you purposely being obtuse? google blocked app based access and instead sends wp devices to the normal website.

what else are you asking here?

Back