The Order: 1886

And taking the Naughty Dog games as an example, the difference in quality between what was prerendered and what was not really wasn't particularly big.

Maybe not in Uncharted, but the difference in Last of Us is huge. Completely different quality settings and a very significant increase in performance requirements - enough that it could not run in realtime.

RE4 on PS2 was another game with the problem of pre recorded cut scene and horrible compression, it now a problem when you do HD port since even the new PC port of RE 4 HD use pre recorded cut scene for Ada missions and the extra costumes from the PS2 extra. If they ever do Uncharted HD or LOU HD collections is going to be super nasty compare to the gamepaly render at much higher resolution and IQ and cut scene are still compressed 720p video. Unless of course they render everything in real time which I doubt. Another reason is HDD space when every game require installation, games like knack takes up 40 gigs on the HDD because of those FMV, and they still got compression artifcacts, where in reality the game data is probably less than 10 gigs. Those were a total waste of HDD space and they eats up the tiny 512 GB hdd that shipped with the system super fast. Even 1 TB wont be enough if you buy lots of games. People that want to go all digital living in countries with slow internet or bandwidth cap are painful and pretty much impossible. I tweeted Andrea from RAD about this, while he didn't directly say no but he agreed that pre recorded fmv are a waste of HDD space.

Possibly. It's been debated before whether better pixel power is more important for photorealism than high resolution. In movies you are mostly seeing blurred images except for slow shots. Of course, games really need the same 1080p high quality still-shots to achieve that blue-ray look. However, higher resolution with a little blur will be better than lower resolution due to higher image density (high specular highlights will bleed into the blurred pixels and increase brightness accordingly) and less noticeable aliasing.

1080p with high quality post effects is harder to do than pure 1080p, clinical precision, so it's not like this is a cop out. I don't even think it'd hide lowres textures effectively unless they are using power-of-two textures, so they can't make savings in the assets by assuming their content will be obscured by the post effects.
Chromatic aberration and grain aren't exactly high-quality post effects. I'm interested in the reactions of people normally obsessed with the clarity of native 1080p. Would they accept the blurriness in the case because it's on purpose?Or will they maintain a crisp picture is better?

EDIT:

http://a.pomf.se/gyjsdp.gif

I remember when people were amazed at this screenshot because the cloth wasn't clipping through the foot of the lady. So much for that.

game_informer_screensbtdzb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We've used both CA and grain and blur and vignetting and such effects in our CG work for many many years... The key is to make them very subtle.

Maybe not in Uncharted, but the difference in Last of Us is huge. Completely different quality settings and a very significant increase in performance requirements - enough that it could not run in realtime.

I'm not talking technical shenanigans. The game's look was just fairly consistent. That the cut-scenes looked as good as they did also had some very real story telling reasons. It wasn't just a matter of we did it because we could.

RE4 on PS2 was another game with the problem of pre recorded cut scene and horrible compression, it now a problem when you do HD port since even the new PC port of RE 4 HD use pre recorded cut scene for Ada missions and the extra costumes from the PS2 extra. If they ever do Uncharted HD or LOU HD collections is going to be super nasty compare to the gamepaly render at much higher resolution and IQ and cut scene are still compressed 720p video. Unless of course they render everything in real time which I doubt. Another reason is HDD space when every game require installation, games like knack takes up 40 gigs on the HDD because of those FMV, and they still got compression artifcacts, where in reality the game data is probably less than 10 gigs. Those were a total waste of HDD space and they eats up the tiny 512 GB hdd that shipped with the system super fast. Even 1 TB wont be enough if you buy lots of games. People that want to go all digital living in countries with slow internet or bandwidth cap are painful and pretty much impossible. I tweeted Andrea from RAD about this, while he didn't directly say no but he agreed that pre recorded fmv are a waste of HDD space.

Super nasty? Oh, please. The cut-scenes aren't gonna look any more nasty than they look now, and they certainly do not look nasty at all.

I actually prefer a little bit of noise to soften the image. Yah, it destroys some texture detail, but I think it makes it look a little more real. They do have it going pretty heavy in these images, but I still think it looks very good. Maybe they could tone it down a bit, for my personal taste, but I think it looks great.

I'm not much of a fan of the super clean and sharp look most games used to be gunning for (when Bioware excised the grain filter from Mass Effect 3 I was pissed), so I'm all for a deliberately roughed up look.

I remember when people were amazed at this screenshot because the cloth wasn't clipping through the foot of the lady. So much for that.
Aren't those her feet (shoes) passing through the cloak?

I can't see the clipping, I am blind :smile:
Can you point me to the part of the gif where clipping happens?
At the very end, you can't miss it. The cloth passes completely through the leg. I supposed mesh-level collision is asking way too much, and collision with box-like scenery is as good as we'll get for a while.

Aren't those her feet (shoes) passing through the cloak?
Since the coat has a slit in the middle people just thought it was resting on the floor.

At the very end, you can't miss it. The cloth passes completely through the leg. I supposed mesh-level collision is asking way too much, and collision with box-like scenery is as good as we'll get for a while.
I didn't even notice it in that part since it's so dark, but brightening the image it is very serious clipping. On that note, graphics are very dark. Could that also be a factor in enhancing the graphical look?

KZ2 blur was mostly a byproduct of quincunx AA. Here I guess they are following along the same lines as the Infiltrator demo, which was heavily 'softened'.
Yes, they overuse CA in that demo as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking game! I still have reservations on the aspect ration but I'm keeping an open mind. Third Person Shooters are my favourite genre and I have high hopes of falling into this one completely.

Back