The Order: 1886

^^^
Well I believe that Matt Pettineo is MJP so maybe he will be kid enough to share some info after that.

Anyway here is an interview with RAD boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
So RAD staffs Neubelt and Pettineo will be presenting Physically based Lighting for The Order 1886 at Siggragh which is the 25th. I hope whoever is attending do bring us news:) and hope to see some slides too.
Crafting a Next-Gen Material Pipeline for The Order: 1886
http://s2013.siggraph.org/attendees/courses/events/physically-based-shading-theory-and-practice

Would love to see if its the same as Guerrilla's physically correct lighting or whether they have a different approach.

Yes, yes PDF is out! Going through all 74 of them:)!
http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2013-shading-course/
97lht1.jpg

Well I can't say I understand all of it but it's safe to say their materiel system is pretty sweet, which explains why the clothes and skin looked so realistic.

http://vimeo.com/70992723

The video of the materials being scanned and ported into 3d, from that link. No wonder their textures look so good. GG has made different shaders for different materials, but these guys are actually scanning real stuff, making it tileable and using those as 'shaders' for the respective material ,l ike cloth, stone, skin, leather. Looks fanastic !

Will read the pdf now. :)

Yes, yes PDF is out! Going through all 74 of them:)!
http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2013-shading-course/
97lht1.jpg

Thanx for sharing Ultragpu, the new shaders look so damn real ! Next gen is finally getting exciting :) ! And all this also means Santa Monica's new game will have some surreal shader work as Santa Monica is already helping out RAD with graphics ! Really looking forward to The Order and whatever Sony SM is cooking ! :cool:

Looks like a good and straightforward way to do material variations. I guess to do all the blending mask maps for an object is a bit of work initially but I guess you can quickly create them by polypainting in Zbrush etc.

Looks like a good and straightforward way to do material variations. I guess to do all the blending mask maps for an object is a bit of work initially but I guess you can quickly create them by polypainting in Zbrush etc.

I guess a mix of some noise pattern plus hand painted stuff. Grime, rust area masks will have to be hand painted to get a real feel. Doesn't using so many maps for masks tax the hardware? I mean if every object uses so many unique masks for blending the many layers, it will lead to loading so many maps into memory.

What I loved the most was how the materials look so real , brick looks like brick, cloth like real cloth and their superb blending of shaders at the end o fthe pdf, page no 70 where they go from a brick to cement in the same shader with superb blending, and page 71 where they show the brick floor with wet patches ! Great Job !!

I guess a mix of some noise pattern plus hand painted stuff. Grime, rust area masks will have to be hand painted to get a real feel. Doesn't using so many maps for masks tax the hardware? I mean if every object uses so many unique masks for blending the many layers, it will lead to loading so many maps into memory.

What I loved the most was how the materials look so real , brick looks like brick, cloth like real cloth and their superb blending of shaders at the end o fthe pdf, page no 70 where they go from a brick to cement in the same shader with superb blending, and page 71 where they show the brick floor with wet patches ! Great Job !!

I just gave it a quick read, but from what I understood, most of the blending is done offline and the real time render only sees the final merged texture.

What I loved the most was how the materials look so real , brick looks like brick, cloth like real cloth and their superb blending of shaders at the end o fthe pdf, page no 70 where they go from a brick to cement in the same shader with superb blending, and page 71 where they show the brick floor with wet patches !

The compositing stuff with blend masks is all done offline in our build system. Basically the build system does a bunch of work to take the source materials, turn them into textures, and blend them together. After it's done the build system spits out the optimized textures that are already pre-blended, which means we don't pay any cost for the compositing at runtime.

We do also support run-time blending of layers, and that's actually what's being used in that shot of the water puddles on the brick. Usually that will be used when you have a tiling material that's repeated over and over again, and so you blend in some extra layers to give it some "breakup" and variety. This sort of thing is actually pretty common in terrain renderers, and I'm pretty sure that quite a few PS3/X360 games have done something similar for their environment art.

Great Job !!

Thanks! :D

We have some great artists, and they've been doing an awesome job so far.

Back