News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the 4GB media limit on PS3 was only on the external File System.
It would be fairly easy for Sony to license exFat from MS and lose the restriction on PS4.

I think the talk about the limits in this thread was all about external media.

I think the talk about the limits in this thread was all about external media.

I don't think there are any real limitations on file size with the BSD standard FS. The maximum file size is like 8ZB, even with the bloat in size for HD+ files there's never going to be a issue with the internal storage.

External device are limited by support for out dated legacy FS like FAT32 etc.

No they can't, it would break loads of software and windows OS installs.

...Besides, what imaginary features would that be? ;) Anyway, why bother making up these fictional scenarios, really? What's the point?

There is also exFAT, which doesn't have drawbacks of the FAT32. And according to wiki microsoft allows to license it.

exFat is the choice right now for bigger files, it's more fragile and harder to repair, at least according to the wiki. I know that it's used in many cases where you need to read and write files between MAC OSX and PC's since that is the only FS they both can agree to write to and that supports 4GB+ files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Sony already licenses it

Anyway, why bother making up these fictional scenarios, really? What's the point?
Because once it ships if you get fucked by a corner case it costs a lot of money and user aggravation to fix. Just licensing ExFat is a lower risk option.

Microsoft has had a policy to intentionally sabotage Samba interoperability in the not so distant past ...

Seriously, just focus on wireless sharing.

I haven't touched thumb drive for years.

For bigger external drives that are perpetually connected to the PS4, Sony can just use the same internal file system.

^Yes.. the commercial was played during Monday Night Football in the states. Funny because that's the market MS is really trying to grab.
It would have been nice if they included some Madden references, but EA seems to be a bit more friendly with MS.

The thing I dislike about this and the taco bell commercial is the lack of game play. I mean its a fun commercial but why would I want to buy this system?

Oh~ game play commercials will come when the devs are ready. ^_^

The "Perfect Day" commercial is more fun than "It Does Everything" or "Greatness Awaits". It's humorous like the Kevin Butler ones.

If you say so , those type of comercials don't do anything for me. Unless it was a commercial showing off the menus or features if it doesn't have game play its a waste of my time.

With launch a month away , hopefully we see some gameplay and os stuff from them . Both companies have been holding to much close to their chests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back