News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
And is Sony offering cloud compute? Because it just says devs can use the cloud if they want.
I'd doubt it. Developers can use any platform they like - if they pay for it. Which begs the question, Microsoft keep touting Azure, but is it free or subsidised for Xbox One developers? I can't imagine it's free unless their server resources are heavily under-utilized.

What about the Gaikai stuff? Is that coupled with PS+ or is that an unannounced separate fee?

I can't imagine they'd let you play legacy games for free.

They see what Nintendo does with the old games on newer systems, so they want to exploit that long tail of the PS games library.

Anyways, if not for the PS+ requirement, I'd have preordered. I will wait to see what kind of games come out and user reports on whether PSN on PS4 is better for PSN+ members, like faster downloads and updating process and such.

I have no desire to chat and the PS3 game gathering left a lot to be desired on games like FIFA. Be curious if that improves but my guess is, such things aren't even on their radar.

What about the Gaikai stuff? Is that coupled with PS+ or is that an unannounced separate fee?

Nothing confirmed, but it's likely a separate service fee, perhaps even a per game fee.

If the only gaikai specific thing they announced was PS3 BC, what did they fill the server rooms with? PS3s on a shelf?

I wonder how many millions played PS3 online but never got PSN+ like myself.

I want to know about these additional infrastructure investments.

Are downloads going to be faster and more reliable now? Are most games going to connect to a server or remain P2P?

Are there going to be ads?

I'm probably in the minority but I didn't get PSN+ until I got my Vita; it was free with my laptop and at that time there were a number of games being released for free so it made sense to spend the money on a one year agreement get access to all that content. I don't play any MP, no particular reason other than I just prefer SP gameplay experience. Typically I check to see what is coming out on PSN or GAF and then log in tuesday night and download all the new stuff. I spend next to zero time on PSN but I can say I don't like the layout, I don't feel overwhelmed by ads either for what its worth but its not the most user friendly layout.

[*]Cloud saves remain behind PS+.
[*]Automatica downloads and installs behind PS+.

Cloud saves are (as i understand it, i never used cloud saves on my 360) really backups vs saves on the 360?

When i activate "cloud" saves on my PS3 it creates a copy in the cloud every night. I prefer that one over a save. And it's limited to one machine. Reason why i prefer the backup is simple, i got PS+ primarily to protect my kids from screwing up saves in lego games :)

Ohh and the accidental "look dad i bought all these cars" in GT5 (true stories)

The best would be cloud backup and save.

I just don't understand why they would keep automatica downloads and installs behind a paywall, that is pure Sony for you. One of the often heard complaints i here from friends with the PS3 is that it's like a Windows machine, if you don't use it for a while it will destroy you with updates when you turn it on..

I'd love to try one of those test kits, of any new next gen console.

News:

A new tech demo called Playroom has been shown to emphasize the use of the PSEye and how its tech could be utilized in the next generation.

If I were Sony the camera would be mandatory and bundled with every single PS4.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/12/ps4-playroom-tech-demo-shows-playstation-eye-at-work/

Interesting to see that link. At engadget, there were almost universally positive comments. In this one, it starts with bitch bitch bitch ...

PS+ is a better value than Gold IMO at the moment, the free games are a real bonus. But I've never really understood the resistance to paying the small amount of money involved for either, I pay over 20x that a month for cable TV and I probably spend less hours watching that.

IMO The stupid stuff that's behind the paywall are auto updates and patches, I could live with that if after subscribing it actually worked on all the PS3's in your house, it doesn't. Though I believe that's fixed for PS4.

It's a simple problem: many people just don't play online that much. I can't even remember when I last played a game online ... but I play offline and asynch multiplayer a tonne.

Ohh and the accidental "look dad i bought all these cars" in GT5 (true stories)
Was this followed by:

"Mommy, why is daddy crying?"

I just don't understand why they would keep automatica downloads and installs behind a paywall, that is pure Sony for you. One of the often heard complaints i here from friends with the PS3 is that it's like a Windows machine, if you don't use it for a while it will destroy you with updates when you turn it on..
Yeah, this is stupid. Sony made a huge deal about being able to pickup the controller and just play but forgot to mention "only when you pay us a monthly sub".

I'm a PS+ subscriber for PS3 and Vita anyway but I remember the lost time with firmware and game updates beforehand.

I recently picked up a
%21C%21W-UVgBGk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21jgEzr-EqM+1BNCnPPGb,Q%7E%7E0_35.JPG
but i do not believe the PS4 supports composite cables.

Can anyone bring me up to speed on the audio options.
I use my PC monitor and it has no speakers, will i be able to use my PC speakers(usb+auxiliary plug) via an adapter?

I recently picked up a
but i do not believe the PS4 supports composite cables.

Can anyone bring me up to speed on the audio options.
I use my PC monitor and it has no speakers, will i be able to use my PC speakers(usb+auxiliary plug) via an adapter?

Just curious, have you checked your monitor for a stereo audio out port (probably standard 3.5mm connector)? Even without speakers, they tend to have them with hdmi in.

Just curious, have you checked your monitor for a stereo audio out port (probably standard 3.5mm connector)? Even without speakers, they tend to have them with hdmi in.
Just checked and yes it does. can i just plug my speakers into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back