Haswell vs Kaveri

As I suggested in the other thread, the A6-5200 (Kabini) would beat the A4-6300 (Richland) in graphics. That's very close though. I wonder if that's 18W or 25W Kabini...

That'll be enough to pretty much equal the i3 3220 in most of the cpu benchmarks the 5800K lost before while laying a huge smackdown on igp.

I haven't seen CPU Benchmarks yet, PC Mark 7 is highly dependent on storage speeds. 11-12% refers to Vantage and 3dmark11.

If the 6800K gets some 25% headroom for overclock with a cheap aftermarket cooler like most unlocked Trinity APUs, then AMD should finally have a worthy competitor to all those locked i5 and i3 out there.

Maybe, but the really important part is the 25~35W notebook chips, at least financially.

Honestly, if they couldn't do it with Trinity vs. Ivybridge then I think that's a lost case..

I think he means that AMD in general can't compete with Intel no matter how good products they launch. I mean people's general attitude is that laptop and an AMD processor are two
inconsistent things.

Yap, that's it.

LV/ULV Trinity was much better placed against Ivybrige for ultrabooks - since it had superior GPU performance and good-enough CPU - and all it got was a couple of design wins that don't even appear in most stores.
All things point to Richland having a GPU performance similar to Haswell's GT3, where CPU will be a major step behind.
OEMs even preferred having an Intel LV CPU + discrete nVidia GPU for "3D performance-conscious" ultrabooks, even when the resulting gaming performance was similar to a single Trinity APU.

If OEMs dumped Trinity in favor of Ivybridge for all their ultrabooks, why would they ever choose to adopt Richland instead of Haswell, or even Ivybridge + discrete nVidia?

Yap, that's it.

LV/ULV Trinity was much better placed against Ivybrige for ultrabooks - since it had superior GPU performance and good-enough CPU

This is wrong. The 17W ULV GPU from Trinity isn't faster.
All things point to Richland having a GPU performance similar to Haswell's GT3, where CPU will be a major step behind.

I don't know how ULV GT3 will perform since low power models are usually TDP limited but the higher TDP GT3 variants from Haswell are surely much faster than Richlands mobile top GPU.

Yap, that's it.If OEMs dumped Trinity in favor of Ivybridge for all their ultrabooks, why would they ever choose to adopt Richland instead of Haswell, or even Ivybridge + discrete nVidia?

Yeah it s shame if AMD can't get any traction with Trinity which is a great product (as was Llano before it). Richland should be out 3 months before Haswell though and 3-6 months after that we'll have Kaveri which has HSA as a selling point so will hopefully see more success - although performance wise it will probably be at a bigger disadvantage (or small advantage depending on how you look at it) vs Haswell than Trinity is vs Ivybridge

I don't know how ULV GT3 will perform since low power models are usually TDP limited but the higher TDP GT3 variants from Haswell are surely much faster than Richlands mobile top GPU.

Not really. The top end GT3 with edram is only expected to be about double the performance of the HD4000 which puts it in the ballpark of Richland A10-6800K.

Not really. The top end GT3 with edram is only expected to be about double the performance of the HD4000 which puts it in the ballpark of Richland A10-6800K.

A10-6800K is desktop only. Mobile variants are much slower, so not really a useful comparison. If you say GT3 will double then Richland is far away from this.

If we talk about GT3, we talk about mobile, easy as that.

I hadn't realised GT3 was mobile only. That's pretty crap and basically eliminates Intel as any kind of competitor to AMD on the desktop APU front.

EDIT: put into perspective GT2 will probably be competitive with Llano on the desktop which in turn will likely only be around half the speed (maybe a little more) of Kaveri but without the full HSA implementation. Blugh!

Back