Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been following to closely, but I would think the range for Durango would be 1.5~3 TFlops.

From the MDX link:

8000+ gnc 2.0 "Venus XTX" based gpu 20mn
8 core Richland x86 cpu With 8000 core series hd apu 28nm
8 or 6 gig of ram
Reports are 4.00+ TFLOP of graphics processing power.
Misterx: ok, by my own words:

- Next xbox x86 officially
- Next xbox will be 4T+ in power. 5T reports are true.
- Next xbox will have 8 to 6 gigs of ram. Sony now target 4gb.
- Sony and MS had phone calls not to put next gen at E3 in order to delay it and make Nin look absolete. after Nintendo changed their 5000 specs to 7000 series specs.
- MS changed 70% of their gpu/cpu design recently after that.
- MS should not delay xbox next
- Next xbox will be a moster for a console. the price should be around $450 but that is not a fact for now.

A 5 Tflop Xbox 3 would be (BS multiplier here) roughly, more than 20 times more powerful than the 360, not counting the extra efficiency from the GCN architecture. That is not even something I can dream of.

Looking at the specs of some of the above it looks like they are willing to make a big loss on the hardware again to get the fastest machine.

8 core CPU could well be an AMD Piledriver CPU with 4 modules which despite having 8 threads is a slow CPU in thePC world, wonder how it would stack up in a console.

I really did expect Sony to use a newer version of Cell in PS4, how are the current revisions of Cell going compared to what's on offer form AMD and Intel?

An 8 core Piledriver with no L3 and half size L2 (we know the modules can ship with 1MB) should be well under 200 mm^2 on 28nm, I reckon, which would make it smaller than RSX or Cell and somewhere in Xenox/Xenos territory (or less?).

Cell is stone cold dead and has been for some time, as far anyone seems able to tell.

8000+ gnc 2.0 "Venus XTX" based gpu 20mn
8 core Richland x86 cpu With 8000 core series hd apu 28nm
8 or 6 gig of ram
Reports are 4.00+ TFLOP of graphics processing power.
Misterx: ok, by my own words:

- Next xbox x86 officially
- Next xbox will be 4T+ in power. 5T reports are true.
- Next xbox will have 8 to 6 gigs of ram. Sony now target 4gb.
- Sony and MS had phone calls not to put next gen at E3 in order to delay it and make Nin look absolete. after Nintendo changed their 5000 specs to 7000 series specs.
- MS changed 70% of their gpu/cpu design recently after that.
- MS should not delay xbox next
- Next xbox will be a moster for a console. the price should be around $450 but that is not a fact for now.

If this was true.....

Well...back in January shockingalberto on GAF said something about MS listening to the big publishers about releasing a beast console, but even for an optimist this is wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can any factory even produce 20nm variation of Venus series [8900, default one has 5.1 BILLION transistors]? That guy is russian, his english is not good, maybe he wanted to say 28nm? :D

I wish it wasn't so, but those "specs" are fanboy masturbatory fantasies, nothing more... IF ONLY wuu would get a 7000 series GPU, but alas that is (as close to as you can get) unpossible. The rest of that list collapses under its own weight of unlikeliness.

Can any factory even produce 20nm

I wouldn't expect volume manufacturing until late 2014 at the earliest for TSMC; Intel is obviously out of the equation. Even then, at best it'll probably be as "volume" as 28nm is this year. It might be 2015 by the time it's viable/mature for console costs - TSMC is only expecting to enter risk production stage in second half of 2013.

TSMC is only planning one type of 20nm process as well, so there may be even more competition for fab capacity with the mobile sector and not just the folks (AMD/nV) who usually compete for the HP process.

TSMC is only planning one type of 20nm process as well, so there may be even more competition for fab capacity with the mobile sector and not just the folks (AMD/nV) who usually compete for the HP process.
GlobalFoundries is doing 20nm too, not just TSMC

Looking at the specs of some of the above it looks like they are willing to make a big loss on the hardware again to get the fastest machine.

8 core CPU could well be an AMD Piledriver CPU with 4 modules which despite having 8 threads is a slow CPU in thePC world, wonder how it would stack up in a console.

I really did expect Sony to use a newer version of Cell in PS4, how are the current revisions of Cell going compared to what's on offer form AMD and Intel?

why would you use piledriver when steamroller will be out around then?

The guy who posted that on his blog is full of crap.

This.

I don't understand why people quote this russian kid again and again, it's ridiculous. Has anyone read his blog? Shit is intense... I feared for my own sanity after 5 minutes of browsing his blog.

The guy's probably a mythomaniac. Can't help himself from believing the shit he makes up himself.

GlobalFoundries is doing 20nm too, not just TSMC

GF still haven't moved onto 28nm so 20nm is years away. It wouldn't be surprised if GF go belly up before they release 20nm. The company hasn't delivered a good node in about 8 years, 90nm, and they have no experience in bulk so it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Why would anyone use an AMD CPU in their console? Surely if MS wanted to go with a x86, for Windows support, then why not going with Intel? Or Intel not interested in something that probably wouldn't be very high margin, or even volume for a company of their size?

I wish it wasn't so, but those "specs" are fanboy masturbatory fantasies, nothing more... IF ONLY wuu would get a 7000 series GPU, but alas that is (as close to as you can get) unpossible. The rest of that list collapses under its own weight of unlikeliness.
I'm sure many of us here agree with you, and I would also add to that that Nintendo fans deserve a medal for their infinite patience regarding the Wii. If you look at games like FIFA 12 on the Wii and see those models that look like they belong to a game from the year 1999 or so, you realize what they had to deal with.

WiiU is not the most powerful hardware judging by the leaks and the specs, developers comments etc, but it's certainly a huge step forward compared to Wii, which is imho, an overpriced console that seemed to be created to become a printing money machine.

I think it was unfair for its users to get mediocre ports of fabulous games just because that was as much as the Wii could cope with, and having to pay almost the same for games than other consoles fanbase.

Two things I was wondering about.
I haven't heard much talk of the possibility of 3rd party WiiuPads. I"m surprised since we have already seen a 3rd party Pro controller. I don't believe the rumor of $150 for a WiiuPad but certainly I could see $100 which should open up a big market for 3rd parties.

Also what about the possibility of an accessory that extends the range of the WiiuPad.
Like a repeater of some sort. Would that even be possible at a mass market price. Something that could extend the range so you could be anywhere in your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back