Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Durango and Orbis end with 3TFLops GPUs and WiiU GPU is -500GFLops, can Wii U get ports from PS4/720?

NO and it doesnt matter if its 700 glfop vs 1.5gflops. It such a massive difference with everything it doesnt matter. Now we have report that the cpu is weaker than the ps360. Then you have the massive ram differences.....etc.

What is likely is devs will use ps360 engines to make wiiu games. While the main games are built for engines that can run on high end hardware. So the maddens and COD will use ps360 engines that would be perfect for the wiiu.

Apparently, a spaniard guy has received an email from AMD and they have confirmed that the WiiU GPU is based on the discrete GPU model AMD E6760. Oh yeah, it ain't no fairy tale..

Where did this come from? Someone is trolling wiiu fans hard! lol

While we're all trying to figure out the Wii U GPU, I noticed this on AMD's game blog:

Wii U: Changing the future of gaming & entertainment…with proud technology partner AMD!

As excited as Nintendo may be about this launch, AMD is equally excited to be a proud technology partner and supplier of the GPU technology for the Wii U. This partnership is another example of AMD’s graphics leadership and innovation, enabling the most dynamic, immersive gaming experiences regardless of platform.

AMD congratulates Nintendo on the exciting announcement of their upcoming Wii U launch!

Doesn't tell us anything at all, but it's nice to see, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, a spaniard guy has received an email from AMD and they have confirmed that the WiiU GPU is based on the discrete GPU model AMD E6760. Oh yeah, it ain't no fairy tale...

9qwmiq.jpg

Ok guys listened , that information is NOT a fake.

This is totally TRUE, this come from a spanish forum, iu know the guy who send the email, this is a exclusive world information , I register there because we are giving the information to diferent forums around the world.

The is the link the come from:

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?=1990125

It could be the right chip if say for instance it ran at 400mhz. I think it is quite plausible if you want to try to merge the rumours of 400Gflops and the rumours of using the above E6760.

I discount it mainly because it's straight DX11.

Most rumors say the Wii U GPU is DX10.1. The BG camp claims there's some additional GPGPU stuff bolted on, but even they dont deny the base.

If it was an e6760 the rumors would just say it's DX11.

I think another, lesser reason to discount it is it uses GDDR5 where it's assumed the Wii U uses DDR3. There's nothing to say Nintendo couldn't have had AMD rework the bus, but the RV730 can work with DDR3 straight out of the package.

Also that the TDP is low enough I'm going to assume it's a binned part. Another strike.

And we can go even further, the GPU has long been rumored to be a AMD R700 series, and is even known in Nintendo docs as GPU 7.

"GPGPU stuff bolted on" is inaccurate. The VLIW architecture is not as efficient as GCN with compute, but it can handle it. There have been customizations made to the GPU, I am just not personally sure what the heck they are.

Embedded also doesn't mean it's a binned part. In fact, embedded chips are made so they don't fall into the same trap that mobile parts do.

I discount it mainly because it's straight DX11.

Oops!!

Well how about a Xenos vs RV730 comparison?

RV730:

512M transistors.
320 Stream processors.
32 Texture units.
8 ROPs.
600-750Mhz
384-480Gflops??

Xenos:

232M transistors + 100M daughter die.
192/240?? equiv Stream processors.
16 Texture units.
8 ROPs (ED-RAM)
500Mhz
240Gflops

Wouldn't a ~600Mhz RV730 fit with the rumoured specifications, especially given the fact that the Wii U CPU is unlikely to assist with rendering the same way that Xenon did for Xenos in the Xbox 360, actually it is expected that the GPU will help the CPU.

I suppose perhaps I am willing to believe GPU 7 is based on a modified RV730 customized with some extra bells & whistles that Nintendo requested, plus edram. ...I love the mystery.

This is an exciting time IMHO. Nintendo is about to jump from graphics technology originally designed in 1998-1999 to a modern rendering pipeline. I for one cannot wait to see what, ahem, 'Super Mario Universe' could look like. I cannot believe this console comes out in less than two months.

Ok guys listened , that information is NOT a fake.

This is totally TRUE, this come from a spanish forum, iu know the guy who send the email, this is a exclusive world information , I register there because we are giving the information to diferent forums around the world.

The is the link the come from:

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?=1990125
It looks very fake to me. I do not believe technical support will give out processor information on console products. I do not believe any support guy would have access to that info. I do not believe AMD have permission from Nintendo to divulge any such information. Anyone who's sent a support request to AMD would have a template reply they could modify.

If it is a legitimate reply, heads will be rolling somewhere.

Even if the email is genuine, the tech support peon could just be repeating the same e6760 rumor that has been rolling around GAF for a while. If he's high enough to have direct knowledge he's also high enough to know not to answer and email like that with specifics.

General Purpose Registers? What you use to compare CPU instruction sets?
GPU do have register files, but I thought they were all general purpose. Or maybe they don't have anymore, I believe Fermi and up use L1 instead whereas the G80/GT200 generation had register files. For Radeon 4000 to 6000, I don't know.

A quick google says when related to GPU's GPR means

General Purpose Register

And this is the same thing Stevie P said on GAF.

Now why the heck would he tell us that info of all things?

My guess is maybe it's something he deals with in his line of work, so it was the only thing he knew about the Wii U GPU?

It could be this is the part of the R700 Nintendo changed to accommodate more GPGPU?

Googling found the R740 technical evaluation on this very site. According to the article that chip has a total of 2MBs of GPRs shared by 640 shader units. I don't know enough to tell you the advantages of an increase in the ratio of GPRs per shader unit is. I'm guessing this is BG's secret sauce, though. And yet, even the leaker Matt admits this is still sub-Radeon 6XXX level, which is to say any improvement is unlikely to be game changing in terms of GPGPU (let alone enough to propell the part into the 600GFlop range).

Googling found the R740 technical evaluation on this very site. According to the article that chip has a total of 2MBs of GPRs shared by 640 shader units. I don't know enough to tell you the advantages of an increase in the ratio of GPRs per shader unit is. I'm guessing this is BG's secret sauce, though. And yet, even the leaker Matt admits this is still sub-Radeon 6XXX level, which is to say any improvement is unlikely to be game changing in terms of GPGPU (let alone enough to propell the part into the 600GFlop range).

Where did he admit this?

In the above quote:

However, it seems to have fewer GPRs then the E6760

The e6760 is an embedded product based on the Radeon 6XXX line.

Matt also doesn't appear to have much technical aptitude. He previously confused hardware threads with IPC with execution units while trying to reveal hints about the CPU.

In the above quote:

The e6760 is an embedded product based on the Radeon 6XXX line.

Matt also doesn't appear to have much technical aptitude. He previously confused hardware threads with IPC with execution units while trying to reveal hints about the CPU.

Hmm, true but..the e6760 is just one product of that particular product line. Isn't possible that its closer to a slighly lower spec card in that line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back