55M Xbox 360 consoles shipped in 6 years

Won't the Ps3 handily beat that and at much higher price point to boot? I don't find that, that impressive...just...middling. And didn't the PsP do just about that and people called it a failure?

Won't the Ps3 handily beat that and at much higher price point to boot? I don't find that, that impressive...just...middling. And didn't the PsP do just about that and people called it a failure?

The ps3 is the sucessor to the 150m + selling playstation 2 and the 100m + selling ps1.

The xbox is the sucessor to the 25m selling xbox.

As you can see MS double xbox sales with just 2 extra years and sales are still climbing with the 360.

When the ps3 hits 55m it will have done just 1/3rd the sales of the ps2 and in some markets the sales are slowing.

I'm not sure how you get middling from the xbox 360. Going from third place to second place and gaining is a good jump in a single generation and the xbox 360 should continue to sell well into its 10th or even 12th year of life at this point , esp if its the premier MS console into 2013 .

I'm not sure how you get middling from the xbox 360.
That's easy - it's all relative. Relative to XB's performance, XB360 is a great achievement. Compared to other non-leading consoles it's very good. PS3 compared to PS1 and PS2 is poor, but compared to other non-leading consoles is pretty good. Then again, compare sales to price, and PS3 is outstanding, shifting as many units as it has at its price. Alternatively, consider the business aspect, profitability of these devices, and XB360 is doing okay, brilliantly compared to XB, atrociously compared to the market leader, while PS3 is doing dismally in every way! :mrgreen:

It's all relative, hence why PSP is talked of being a failure all too commonly. For a typical console I think 360's done well for itself and MS. It's been a good platform, a growth platform for the brand, selling good numbers and maintaining growth, especially with Kinect's second spurt, although it's still been costly to MS. There have been far better consoles out there, and far worse, regards both sales and profitability. From that interpretation it can be rightly called middling, but MS should be pleased at the results.

Getting nothing from Japan is hurting them. It makes me wonder whether a larger focus on Europe over Japan early on would have been a better bet. They did get more Japanese game development from their efforts there, though. That's something, I guess.

I'd say the late inflection point in the sales and continuing sales growth over all 6 years are fairly remarkable. Most systems have peaked by this point in their life.

I'd say the late inflection point in the sales and continuing sales growth over all 6 years are fairly remarkable. Most systems have peaked by this point in their life.
True. Isn't that down mostly to Kinect though, and so there's no comparable history? My sister, with no interest in games prior to this gen, was asking about Kinect, and I had to warn her that her house was too small! But that shows Kinect has helped, basically offering a new 'console' in terms of experience midlife, that just happens to ride the same original hardware. In a way, classic 360 could be tailing off, but it's got a new lease of life - that's one way to help extend your platform! Also XB360 and PS3 launched high and price dropped fairly slowly, so they may still have the majority sales later on than is typical. PS3 sales are still climbing thanks to reducing price, so I think this generation is that much longer with the sales curves stretched accordingly.

That's easy - it's all relative. Relative to XB's performance, XB360 is a great achievement. Compared to other non-leading consoles it's very good. PS3 compared to PS1 and PS2 is poor, but compared to other non-leading consoles is pretty good. Then again, compare sales to price, and PS3 is outstanding, shifting as many units as it has at its price. Alternatively, consider the business aspect, profitability of these devices, and XB360 is doing okay, brilliantly compared to XB, atrociously compared to the market leader, while PS3 is doing dismally in every way! :mrgreen:

It's all relative, hence why PSP is talked of being a failure all too commonly. For a typical console I think 360's done well for itself and MS. It's been a good platform, a growth platform for the brand, selling good numbers and maintaining growth, especially with Kinect's second spurt, although it's still been costly to MS. There have been far better consoles out there, and far worse, regards both sales and profitability. From that interpretation it can be rightly called middling, but MS should be pleased at the results.

I really need to re quote this post. I never understood the exagerated enthusiasm about of 360 selling. I mean, 360 going really good & impressive in usa & uk but in the rest of world not seem nothing of incredible to me, consider the level of the past leader & the actual concurrent price/ level of sales. The real great success of 360 on ps3, is sell more in the two biggest market on the world, where ps3 not going so good; probably this is the real trouble of sony, but said bad even of sony it's unfaith considering the actual level of price & terrible beginning...I think to consider 360 a great success in usa (& uk) it's undeniable & a great achievement for microsoft (although I'm not so surprise, watching the understimate past success of xbox in the collective imaginary of the americans) but talking of a general perspective of WW sales, we can't ignore how microsoft struggle to catch the different 'culture' of gamers population. So, it's more perspective in this generation than the others....

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need to re quote this post. I never understood the exagerated enthusiasm about of 360 selling.
Or indeed any exaggerated view of any console. All too often they are called winners/successes and losers/failures, but the real situation is lots of shades of grey between these polar opposites. PSP is a success in some ways and a failure in others. Just like 'best console' arguments, there are always different ways of looking at things with different interpretations, so simple labels like best, successful, mediocre, worst should be avoided, and qualifiers provided - best at its price point; most successful growth between generations; mediocre sales relative to other consoles; worst sales of any system they've made.

I really need to re quote this post. I never understood the exagerated enthusiasm about of 360 selling

Oh please, all console fanboys do this, PS3 and Wii is no different. :rolleyes: For me it's kind of good to hear good news because if you just look at forums like neogaf long enough you'd probably think the Xbox 360 was constantly on it's deathbed (from, RROD, to, no exclusive games, to, MS only cares about Kinect and casuals now being the latest talking points).

That said this announcement is a little odd considering they just announced 54 not long ago. Hey I'll never begrudge more sales data though. It tells us 360 shipments are 1.4-1.5m for April and May. Which is pace for a 2.1 or 2.2 quarter (unless like I think they announce a price drop at E3 and perhaps June shipments are higher). All good to know.

The only thing I can think is Microsoft just getting the typical sales bragging portion of E3 pressers out of the way early with this announcement? More time for everything else maybe? Somehow I still expect E3 conference sales crowing though...

Oh please, all console fanboys do this, PS3 and Wii is no different. :rolleyes: For me it's kind of good to hear good news because if you just look at forums like neogaf long enough you'd probably think the Xbox 360 was constantly on it's deathbed (from, RROD, to, no exclusive games, to, MS only cares about Kinect and casuals now being the latest talking points).

That said this announcement is a little odd considering they just announced 54 not long ago. Hey I'll never begrudge more sales data though. It tells us 360 shipments are 1.4-1.5m for April and May. Which is pace for a 2.1 or 2.2 quarter (unless like I think they announce a price drop at E3 and perhaps June shipments are higher). All good to know.

The only thing I can think is Microsoft just getting the typical sales bragging portion of E3 pressers out of the way early with this announcement? More time for everything else maybe? Somehow I still expect E3 conference sales crowing though...

I don't understood your regret about my comment :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
If i take the PS1+PS2 into context and look at the story i think the 360 has done very good. Microsoft had one target, to beat Sony and they did if only by a few %. And they burned alot of dollars to do that with the XBOX setting the needed foundation. Sony came to the fight with arrogance and to little to back it up and got the needed beating to maybe be more humble next round?

Taking into this generations context i think Microsoft did ok and Sony did recover from "omg" to "ok".
Nintendo on the other hand came from out of "nowhere" and simply owned both Microsoft and Sony.

Next round is imho Microsofts to win (or loose), they have more cash and the needed momentum, i expect Nintendo to put up a fight but not to win again. Sony on the other hand can only surprise :)

I really need to re quote this post. I never understood the exagerated enthusiasm about of 360 selling. I mean, 360 going really good & impressive in usa & uk but in the rest of world not seem nothing of incredible to me, consider the level of the past leader & the actual concurrent price/ level of sales. The real great success of 360 on ps3, is sell more in the two biggest market on the world, where ps3 not going so good; probably this is the real trouble of sony, but said bad even of sony it's unfaith considering the actual level of price & terrible beginning...I think to consider 360 a great success in usa (& uk) it's undeniable & a great achievement for microsoft (although I'm not so surprise, watching the understimate past success of xbox in the collective imaginary of the americans) but talking of a general perspective of WW sales, we can't ignore how microsoft struggle to catch the different 'culture' of gamers population. So, it's more perspective in this generation than the others....

What were the total sales of the original xbox in EMEA?

I really need to re quote this post. I never understood the exagerated enthusiasm about of 360 selling. I mean, 360 going really good & impressive in usa & uk but in the rest of world not seem nothing of incredible to me, consider the level of the past leader & the actual concurrent price/ level of sales. The real great success of 360 on ps3, is sell more in the two biggest market on the world

If you insist on only comparing 360 vs. PS3 maybe that would be confusing for you, but does one doing well/poorly ALWAYS have to be in relation to the other? Are there no other valid comparisons to be made where it could be said 360 is performing well, even exceptionally so? I'm not saying the two shouldn't be compared, but there ARE other perspectives.

True. Isn't that down mostly to Kinect though, and so there's no comparable history? My sister, with no interest in games prior to this gen, was asking about Kinect, and I had to warn her that her house was too small! But that shows Kinect has helped, basically offering a new 'console' in terms of experience midlife, that just happens to ride the same original hardware. In a way, classic 360 could be tailing off, but it's got a new lease of life - that's one way to help extend your platform! Also XB360 and PS3 launched high and price dropped fairly slowly, so they may still have the majority sales later on than is typical. PS3 sales are still climbing thanks to reducing price, so I think this generation is that much longer with the sales curves stretched accordingly.

Sure, I can agree with that. I don't think any of that make it any less remarkable, though. Especially given the price points are still $399/$299/$199 with most sales at those upper 2 price points.

It's also worth to remember that X360 isn't just selling well, it's making a LOT of money at the same time, whereas the PS3 still isn't that cheap to make and Sony's having something at least as bad as the RROD on their hands at this time with the PSN hacking. Sure it might not be an immediate $1 billion loss but I'd say it'll catch up to that eventually - all on top of the rather huge loss the PS3 has been making from the start.

So in light of these additional details, I'd say it is quite different with MS's console selling 55 million units. Every new console they sell is yet another small money printing machine at this point.

So in light of these additional details, I'd say it is quite different with MS's console selling 55 million units. Every new console they sell is yet another small money printing machine at this point.
Absolutely. But then compared to Wii, it's also rubbish! And this thread wasn't "XB360 is doing great and PS3 is doing rubbish" so such close comparisons aren't really needed. The announcement was just a shipped landmark, which is a lot of consoles. The bragging rights for financials comes in a different thread. ;)

So far this thread is basically noise. Temegen launched with an unqualified "impressive numbers", which Ghostz questioned with some barely qualified reply ("360's selling no better than other consoles, ergo is achieving average performance"), and the rest is bickering! ;)

Perhaps from this point on anyone wanting to say 55 million shipped is good/mediocre/bad should explain in what way, and we'll stick to that.

I wouldn't say the PS3 still isn't cheap to make they have been making money on the thing for over a year now. Sure it's nowhere near the boatloads of cash Nintendo makes on every Wii sold but no one is really near that.

oh i understand , if you factor out the ps1 and ps2 and the dominance that sony had in those genreations and just look at the ps3 from post launch to prior , sony has done a really good job of turning the ship around.

I'm just speaking of why people see the 360 as a sucess and the ps3 as a failure when they are now so close to each other.

The wii can also be seen as a so so sucess. Nintendo sold a ton of units at profit and a ton of first party software . However the wii has now started to die off sales wise in its what 4th year and 3rd party support is also poor and now nintendo needs to correct thier course earlier with new hardware than their competitor

I wouldn't say the PS3 still isn't cheap to make they have been making money on the thing for over a year now. Sure it's nowhere near the boatloads of cash Nintendo makes on every Wii sold but no one is really near that.
they did make $435.5 million profit last year in the games division) including the upcoming NGP R&D costs. Who knows the ps3 may even break even (excluding the blu-ray factor)

Back