PS3 System Update 3.30

patsu

Legend
The 3D gaming patch is out:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/04/21/ps3-3-30-system-software-update/

in our continued effort to provide the best, most comprehensive entertainment experience possible, we’ll be adding a few new features to PlayStation 3 (PS3) via the latest system software update, which is a mandatory update and will be available shortly. Most notably, you’ll see some new sorting options within Trophies that make it easier to claim bragging rights among your friends on PlayStation Network:

* Trophy enhancements –- Now you can more easily sort trophies in the [Trophy Collection] and [Comparing Trophy] sections. Sorting can be done with [Trophy Collection] in the [Game Category] and also when comparing trophies with your friends in the [Friend Category]
o Trophy Folder (Title List) can be sorted by game name/ by title according to the date in which you earned your last trophy (ascending/descending)
o Add-on list (Group list) can be sorted by original/the date in which you earned your last trophy (ascending/descending)
o Trophy list can be sorted by original/trophy name/grade/date of obtaining the trophy (ascending/descending)

In addition, this update preps the PS3 system for some upcoming new features, including 3D stereoscopic gaming, which is coming soon to PS3, in time for the launch of Sony’s 3D BRAVIA TVs.

So does "mandatory" update mean that you have to update it otherwise not be able to use your PS3. I haven't update mine yet, but was going to when I returned home in 2 weeks.

I thought it was always optional in the past unless you utilized PSN.

So was the update that took away the OtherOS not mandatory?
If this is mandatory, and you didn't install the Linux destroying update, will this mandatory update do that anyway?

The other update is optional, but I suppose this one will require 3.21. If you don't have 3.21, me think it should not force you to update.

Some are saying they improved Flash in this update.

Qriocity may be in too, since they sent out an EULA update yesterday about it. For the uninitiated, Qriocity is Sony's multi platform video streaming service (Think Bravia Video Link).

Someone on GAF also mentioned that this update fixed region free Blu-Ray support for EU.

Every time I turn my PS3 on, there's a friggin new firmware update... Yeah I don't game as much as I used to, but it certainly takes some time to get into the title screen these days.

3.30 also supports RemotePlay on VAIO PC. Now I wouldn't mind someone hack this to allow other PC, Mac, Android, iPad and iPhone support. :devilish:

May be I have found my brain wave controller killer app. :LOL:

So was the update that took away the OtherOS not mandatory?
If this is mandatory, and you didn't install the Linux destroying update, will this mandatory update do that anyway?
Mandatory updates are required for signing in to PSN (online gaming, store etc).
Optional updates are offered for those who want them. You can continue to sign in with the last [mandatory update] FW version.

If you stay away from the store and PSN, you can ignore either. You can continue to use your PS3 as is, offline.

I think minimal required firmwares are distributed on game discs, though I don't know how that works. I always fetched the new firmwares from the internets way before a game could make me install them.
But if you decide to stay on a particular version forever, this will be a problem. You won't be able to play releases after that point, lest they smuggle in/require a later firmware to run.

This one kind of came outta the blue. I'm most pleased about 3D... now if only I could purchase a 3D set. :|

3.30 also supports RemotePlay on VAIO PC. Now I wouldn't mind someone hack this to allow other PC, Mac, Android, iPad and iPhone support. :devilish:

May be I have found my brain wave controller killer app. :LOL:

How does it know that a PC is a Vaio? Couldn't you get the app on a regular PC and try it out?

Update: This 3.30 update is more than meets the eye. The PC remote play is supposedly for future VAIO models, but I still the PC software to be hacked and made available to any PC.
3.30 also apparently updates the Flash plugin for the PS3 browser, as well as adding a Bitstream(mix) audio output option for optical digital connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one kind of came outta the blue. I'm most pleased about 3D... now if only I could purchase a 3D set. :|

I believe Sony mentioned that the 3D update would come in June. Surprised to see it in April. May be Nintendo's accelerated plan and Panasonic's 3DTV sales prompted them to speed up their pace.

I wonder if something else might be coming in June.

I believe Sony mentioned that the 3D update would come in June. Surprised to see it in April. May be Nintendo's accelerated plan and Panasonic's 3DTV sales prompted them to speed up their pace.

I wonder if something else might be coming in June.

E3? PSN Premium? ;)

A thrilling set of new features, clearly what I wanted in new FW.

I don't think we can expect anything that gamers really want (like cross game voice chat, party chat, etc) from the sony's new firmwares until ps4 comes out.

Sony firmware team is pretty bad. They are still using like 50 megs of ram and adding voice chat and such would probably increase it more.

What is with these guys? someone needs to tell them that the 360 uses 32 megs, then they'll see that its actually possible and try to rewrite/organize their libraries.

While you may not be interested in 3D stereoscopic gaming, I am. It's a gaming feature alright. 3D Blu-Ray is coming later. Trophy sorting/organization is also a gaming feature.

They have already mentioned that cross game chat is being worked on. A NaughtDog dev leaked it accidentally. So other gaming features may still be coming.

I'd say Sony's firmware team is excellent but has too many things to do. Their Blu-Ray stack and the XMB chartroom are awesome !

Last edited by a moderator:
While you may not be interested in 3D stereoscopic gaming, I am.
I dare say you're in a very small minority though, and far, far more PS3 gamers would prefer to see cross-app chat. The fact ND leaked its existence only infuriates more, because the tech exists, only Sony aren't rolling it out. I can't remember the last FW update I applied where I was pleased with the advances. I suppose the iPlayer one was nice in that it added a feature that was worth using. Don't you think that cross-app chat is a more important, more desired thing to release than 3D gaming?

Back