Critical PS3 internal clock error and its aftermath

Seriously, we should consider 2/28 a PS3 holiday. PS3 developers go on vacation while the the dev kits shut down for a day automatically. Then we all count down to the next day. That GAF thread is so funny.

I think we still need a patch of some sort.

We basically conclude that PS3 can "time travel". With that, I think Kutaragi has delivered all his claims. v_v

Seriously, we should consider 2/28 a PS3 holiday. PS3 developers go on vacation while the the dev kits shut down for a day automatically.
/draeneilaugh
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dammit man, I've had a seriously crappy day (for reasons unrelated to the PS3 issues) and you have to say something like that to screw it all up? Hehe, thanks. Had a good laugh there.

And yea, my phat unit is working fully again. Dunno what Sony did - if anything - but it works...

/draeneilaugh
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dammit man, I've had a seriously crappy day (for reasons unrelated to the PS3 issues) and you have to say something like that to screw it all up? Hehe, thanks. Had a good laugh there.

And yea, my phat unit is working fully again. Dunno what Sony did - if anything - but it works...

Didn't have to do anything.
Just let the internal PS3 clock roll over to 2010/03/01 from the nonexistant 2010/02/29 then the PS3 OS will work fine again.

Don't know if it is fair to say that it just "works". The date is still wrong, mine says it is February 28th instead of March 1st and that is obviously not the case. Who knows what ramifications this will have as far DRM issues go.

Cheers

Just sync with the Internet time servers again. GAF people have already done that. If you have time to waste, try the GAF thread here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388872

I hope they archive the thread.

EDIT:
... and I just turned on my office PS3. 16 people online on my friends list.

london-boy is still playing R&C: Tools of Destruction (since like last night ?). :LOL:
He didn't barge from the meltdown.

Next year is gonna be funny! :LOL:

Probably not, since last year was fine. It appears tha the internal clock sets leap years to once every 2 years, leading to this year's problem.

It should happen 4 years from now if they don't fix it, since two years later is a proper leap year, and I suppose they will.

Probably not, since last year was fine. It appears tha the internal clock sets leap years to once every 2 years, leading to this year's problem.

It should happen 4 years from now if they don't fix it, since two years later is a proper leap year, and I suppose they will.
I just ment in terms of people waiting to see nervously like the millenium bug or something, i doubt we will see any more of this issue now known to Sony.

I'm just thinking for people whose PS3 model suggest they should be affected and yet weren't, may be the internal clock was reset at some point for unknown reason. In that case, your day of APOCALPS3 may still come at a later date if Sony doesn't fix it before then.

While I'm not a GAF member, I have to say the thread over there is truly epic and funny. :LOL:

I'm amused by the whole experience to be honest. I've not seen anything quite like this in consumer electronics before, though studying Computer Science you'd hear similar stories on a much larger scale financially (e.g. leaving out a semicolon in some simple bit of code means your satellite overshoots Mercury and you lose a few hundred million dollars).

It does make me a little wary on what is going to happen in 5-10 years when internal batteries start dying on these machines. No more games at all, including disc-based games?

i doubt we will see any more of this issue now known to Sony.
Surely this was already known chip errata beforehand, considering Zunes and other devices have been hit by similar problems in the past. One has to wonder why Sony wasn't more proactive in fighting this matter. This is gonna cost them, in badwill and hard cash as well.

Stupid, really.

Personally I don't see it hurting them in the least. It was one day of downtime. People will have forgotten about it by the end of the week.

Tommy McClain

Yap ! Will cost them dearly in marketing. They will somehow need to plug a hole in their process.

But you gotta admit it's rather cool to fix this without patching the PS3s though. I expected the PSN to suffer congestion when all the PS3s came alive at once too. But it didn't happen. Pretty impressive.

Back