Battlefield 3 announced

Yes in SP I've noticed the slight load-in, it seems very quick though, and as you say only after reloading a save.. same amount of VRAM here.

msaa is definitely the performance killer

I've dropped to all low settings apart from ultra shadows for low latency multiplayer fragging.. amazing how nice it still looks. In the fray I barely notice the loss in IQ.

all aboard! the B3D platoon

So you have both AA options off BT? What GFX card are you running? I'm thinking I may be playing beyond my means here...

Played the first few campaign missions. 1920x1080 all ultra on a 580 and performance is just fine.

Playing on hard. It's been an emotional rollercoaster. I went from "omg wtf holy shit this is amazing" to "what the fuck is this cod infinite spawning invisible enemy killing you from all directions before you can see them bullshit". that's not hard, just fucking annoying just like it was in cod.

Anyone noticed some delayed texture streaming each time after re-loading a save point? I guess the 1.28GB of video memory on my GTX570 isn't quite enough for Ultra settings, but nonetheless the game runs smooth without any stuttering.

Yes. I notice it too but it's near instantaneous in SP. Also it doesn't seem to be related to video memory in use. video memory usage is typically between 1350 and 2050 MB depending on the map.

At one point in the game I suddenly saw a crazy crazy spike in temps this was during the night missions where I guess any GPU's shaders will be wipped into shape.

The only other minor bugs I've noticed are the occasional seams and "white" dots on some surfaces, but those are rare enough to care much about.
None whatsoever. I do see the occasional geometry error or tree stumps getting rock textures applied but all-in-all the game feels very polished on the graphical side. heck even the ~console looks like it's from 2011! :)

Worst part is the skymap in the F/A-18 mission. Guys, it's really not okay to use a 8 bit texture for a sky. the colorbanding was awful.

Playing on hard. It's been an emotional rollercoaster. I went from "omg wtf holy shit this is amazing" to "what the fuck is this cod infinite spawning invisible enemy killing you from all directions before you can see them bullshit". that's not hard, just fucking annoying just like it was in cod.

I read this in reviews too, but so far I haven't seen any of that. When AI's spawn it's always from a logical direction. it's not random like in COD so after a reload you know exactly which door or which alley way will have baddies running out of them. this saves a lot of frustration. Also, I haven't noticed any "invisible tripwire" stuff. It's literally clearing an objective that is set or killing all enemies in a certain area.

Worst part about the AI is them hiding on the wrong side of cover.

one good detail, when you're scoped and strafe left or right your scope will actually tilt, very nice detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I haven't noticed any "invisible tripwire" stuff. It's literally clearing an objective that is set or killing all enemies in a certain area.

Yeah the former is similar to a "tripwire" cause they keep spawning till you reach a certain point on the map. On hard you can take about two shots before dying so it gets annoying real fast trying to move through a never-ending hail of gunfire.

So you have both AA options off BT? What GFX card are you running? I'm thinking I may be playing beyond my means here...

Multiplayer settings ?FPS Smooth as hell and no perceptible lag, not even bothered to measure. I'll do that in a bit though and edit this post. I downgraded the settings not for framerate directly so much as input latency.
Singleplayer settings 30-45 FPS

Audio I have on Home Cinema with 5.1 headphones.

system: (no overclocks)
Q9650 @3.0
4 Gigs @1066
GTX470 1.25GB
120hz 1920x1080

Pretty midrange-ish set-up, but SP is good enough at those settings. Would be nice to use MSAA but the game is so pretty I'm enjoying what I've got.

Yeah the former is similar to a "tripwire" cause they keep spawning till you reach a certain point on the map. On hard you can take about two shots before dying so it gets annoying real fast trying to move through a never-ending hail of gunfire.

which mission? I play on hard and for me it's just kill the enemies, I haven't seen any unlimited respawns so far.

Multiplayer settings ?FPS Smooth as hell and no perceptible lag, not even bothered to measure. I'll do that in a bit though and edit this post. I downgraded the settings not for framerate directly so much as input latency.
Singleplayer settings 30-45 FPS

Audio I have on Home Cinema with 5.1 headphones.

system: (no overclocks)
Q9650 @3.0
4 Gigs @1066
GTX470 1.25GB
120hz 1920x1080

Pretty midrange-ish set-up, but SP is good enough at those settings. Would be nice to use MSAA but the game is so pretty I'm enjoying what I've got.

Thanks, I'm going to turn off msaa and switch on post. I'm pretty sure the beta defaulted to post on / msaa off with my card, whereas with the retail it was the opposite. Having tried it out for a while I think you're right about msaa being a performance killer.

Guillotine, storming the building.

I got sooo stuck on that bit. I thought it was a good idea to let my guys go in first (they seemed to want to). Trouble is if the first dude gets over there and you're not on his tail there's no way to get past the gunfire, at least on hard mode.

For ages I was trying to jump over the left wall that was just a wee bit too high; I thought the game was broken.

Speaking of broken.. I'm still finding places to drop through the floor on Operation Metro.

Speaking of Operation Metro. What a let down the conquest map was. It's pure infantry! What good is INF Only mode if a bunch of the maps are inf only anyway? As an inf map it's awesome IMO, so still a blast playing it.

Speaking of blast... BF3. It is one.

My copy was shipped today. Hopefully it comes tomorrow, but I doubt it.

Yep you do.

Had a fun death reason given. A car blew up that I was hiding behind. see pic

If you want to rank up quick: Grand Bazaar on conquest mode should've been called Operation Point Harvest. Seen a few people with 10k on there, think I maxed out at around 7k.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...as-a-single-player-campaign-unfortunately.ars

Bummer that the SP is kind of weak. I really enjoy SP too. Only saving grace is the rig they played on will be weaker than mine in a month or two :D

Play it on hard and not ONE second you feel like your waiting for a next event to trigger because you're too busy not to die.

There's also plenty of paths to take, sure the goal is the same, but if you need to storm a villa, you can do what is expected (enter through the front door) hold a firefight there or .. circle around a balcony. and be greeted by enemies. why? because it's ultimately still an open world that has been filled with scripted enemies because the devs thought about it.

Back