Battlefield 3 announced

It most certainly wasn't. I went straight for hard mode and it truly is unforgiving!

One thing though, if you're playing 1080p 2 feet from a 24" monitor this game (in SP) is not designed for a higher FOV than the default.

I upped the FOV from 70 to 75 before playing and then forgot about it, figuring I'd probably raise it again later if it bothered me. It wasn't that bad until Operation Guillotine which is basically unplayable at the higher FOV in hard mode as some guys who your really need to kill before you move up are just few unnoticable pixels in extremely poor visibilty conditions.

The default of 70 actually seems fine though, from the point of view of comfortable playing, so it's not a problem.

Apparently gamepad support is bad, button prompts don't change so it makes the campaigns many QTEs impossible with it.

Apparently gamepad support is bad, button prompts don't change so it makes the campaigns many QTEs impossible with it.

It takes the default Keyboard assignment.

Despite the "Hold ESC to clear" you can't actually clear a binding other then through the .ini files.
This let to quite a frustrating first hour of gaming as crouching wouldn't crouch without me double clicking etc.

And on hard mode, you get about 1 to 3 hits before you're down. close RPGs do it in one shot.
If you remember the part where you have to pick the LMG from the bridge? the trailers showed it as running there, picking it up and mowing the street.

Reality is.. your hiding from fire, slowly going up the stairs. sprint to the lmg and at the first hit immediately prone (i actually keep wanting to type Z instead of prone)
you fire at some positions, hopefully killing some peeps (still prone) but when you're hit again, sprint back down to street level and hide somewhere.. anywhere..

So Easy= Console/COD mode, medium, haven't tried, Hard= PC mode..

Damn.. I seem to love dieing...

Everyone, be sure you update Origin AND your GPU drivers. New WHQL's were released today, and I'm sure ATI released equivalent drivers. I've been waiting for this day since high school.

I'll see you on the battlefield!

P.S- I changed my Origin name. You can find me under the moniker of HadesRising.

And repi, congrats on the massive launch and great reviews, already! I can't wait to test out the fruits of your labor in it's finalized version. Tell everyone at DICE to pop that bottle of champagne you've all been saving, you definitely deserve it :)

Highest VRAM usage I've seen so far: Thunder Run: 1920MB :) 1920x1200 everything @ Ultra (no MSAA, no AO)

Last edited by a moderator:
To the ones playing today: I just want to say that I hate you all. :)

I'm not playing, the games playing me and beating my ass to bloody pulp.

Edit: Rock and a hard place : 2036MB. man, 1GB cards are so fuuuu--- in this game.

So I get this email from EA telling me that the release date has changed to the 24th. That's today! So I start it up and it says "Silly rabbit, the game doesn't start until tomorrow!"

EA is taunting me.

Okay well ima have my copy in 90 minutes. If I can't play it tonight I will commit jihad against EA.

^lol I hope I didn't just put us on a terrorist watch list :runaway:

So I get this email from EA telling me that the release date has changed to the 24th. That's today! So I start it up and it says "Silly rabbit, the game doesn't start until tomorrow!"

EA is taunting me.

They moved up the release date on me too, but didn't notify me. But I can play now :p

Edit: also, applied for platoon as Otto_Dafe.

I'm guessing it detects VRAM capcacity and has a good streaming system as I'm not noticing any hitching on ultra with my 470 that only has 1.25GB.

The MG on the bridge from the fault line trailer? After 6 attempts I went up the right side instead and didn't even bother going for the MG - that thing was a death trap.

Got my russian key through from Direct2Play, added it to Origin, all good.

Now I just have to upgrade to windows 7 in order to play it :???:

is there a cmd for fps limiter? running with a gtx 460 and q9650, runs ok with ultra preset but no playable in actions for my taste.. it dips mid twenties at second level, so i lower the msaa 2x it is good now worst case 30s generally 40-50FPS(playing at 50Hz).. cpu usage %50-70 in sp and solid %99 for gpu, no cpu bottleneck here..

edit: turned off msaa + post aa and used fxaa inject with sharpening filter.. now i get solid 50FPS vsynced and dips mid 40s at intense moments so far..

msaa is definitely the performance killer

I've dropped to all low settings apart from ultra shadows for low latency multiplayer fragging.. amazing how nice it still looks. In the fray I barely notice the loss in IQ.

all aboard! the B3D platoon

Anyone noticed some delayed texture streaming each time after re-loading a save point? I guess the 1.28GB of video memory on my GTX570 isn't quite enough for Ultra settings, but nonetheless the game runs smooth without any stuttering. The only other minor bugs I've noticed are the occasional seams and "white" dots on some surfaces, but those are rare enough to care much about.

Back