A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Yes, but MS's native media server should be a good choice for 360 too (depends on your setup).

360 support for PMS is rated as low priority by the author at the moment. He commented that he may not have enough time to maintain both. For the most part, it does work with 360 and PS3 at the same time. Don't overlook the native media server from MS though. I have heard good things about it too.

I finally got round to installing PS3mediaserver on my little box and wow, I'm impressed. It works great, no problems at all setting it up and it does as advertised. I had a HD mkv container going that peaked at 70mbit without a hitch, and everything looks pretty in the XMB too. It even remembers where to resume, which is awesome.

The good thing about PS3MS is, that it only remuxes compatible streams (i.e. if the stream is h264, even with incompatible header, but the container is mkv, it simple edits the header and remuxes the stream, so the PS3 plays them).

PS3 does not play mkv files directly.

PS3 Media Server supports mkv remux out of the box, so you should be able to play one up to 720p. I heard 1080p playback over DLNA to PS3 is not reliable.

Playing mkv files on 360 should be easy via a DLNA server too. I have no experience there, so may be someone else can chime in.

1080 works without any issues for me.
Since PS3 Media server was introduced it has turned out to be my major link between the PC and the PS3. I record TV (SD) with Windows Media Center , mostly kiddie stuff, transcode to "pure" MPEG2 and can bring up 100´s of recorded shows for the kid to enjoy. The HiDef stuff i have tried have so far worked flawlessly, and i generally only use 1080i or 1080p

I got a beefy i7 so those that may have problems may be CPU bound?

The good thing about PS3MS is, that it only remuxes compatible streams (i.e. if the stream is h264, even with incompatible header, but the container is mkv, it simple edits the header and remuxes the stream, so the PS3 plays them).

Yeah, I got that. I also found a little utility that can just turn them into the AVCHD that the PS3 supports, may do that later also and play them from my portable HDD (more energy efficient than having both the PC and the PS3 on at the same time).

Still, it's a great bit of software with lots of high-quality features, and I think a testament to its quality is that four of my colleagues started using it before I did.

1080 works without any issues for me.
Since PS3 Media server was introduced it has turned out to be my major link between the PC and the PS3. I record TV (SD) with Windows Media Center , mostly kiddie stuff, transcode to "pure" MPEG2 and can bring up 100´s of recorded shows for the kid to enjoy. The HiDef stuff i have tried have so far worked flawlessly, and i generally only use 1080i or 1080p

I got a beefy i7 so those that may have problems may be CPU bound?

I think people experienced instability when forwarding and rewinding long 1080p movies on DLNA server. The web browser seems to be better at doing so. No idea if 3.0 changes anything (if the network stack has been optimized).

I use mkv2vob to convert mkv into mpg files the ps3 can play. It takes 1 minute for a 720p mkv, 2-3 minutes for a 1080p mkv on a 1.6 ghz dual core machine. Since the PC can also play the mpg's, I just keep them that way. mkv2vob can also split into 4GB chunks to put them on an external fat32 drive.

If it takes that short, then won't they usually be AVC files/mpeg4?

I use multiAVCHD, by Dean Kasabow. So far very happy with it - both methods (this and PS3mediaserver) are perfectly viable for me, but this method uses a bit less power. ;) (don't have to have my computer on)

I use multiAVCHD, by Dean Kasabow. So far very happy with it - both methods (this and PS3mediaserver) are perfectly viable for me, but this method uses a bit less power. ;) (don't have to have my computer on)

Yes, it only transcodes the x264 and dolby digital/dts stream into a new container.

Nitpicking, but its remuxing an old container.
transcode = change AV stream formats, this may affect the quality
remux = change container format, keep original AV stream formats. Quality should stay identical.
mkv2vob
mkv2avi
MultiAVCHD

PMS is still pretty awful for me on the Mac. I have gone back to normal upnp apps. Previously, I was using Connect360 and MediaLink but have now switched to Playback since it allows me to add multiple folders (unlike Connect360 but similar to MediaLink) and I now only have one app spamming my network with broadcasts instead of two, lol. I don't get any transcoding but I don't have any mkv files anyway.

It works rather well on my Linux system (I even tried running it on a ARMEL system, and it worked (though TXMuxer doesn't, and the 400Mhz CPU is too slow :D), but needs some additional packages to work better.

I have many mkvs, so I need the remuxing options that PS3MS gives me. I love that mpeg2 doesn't need much CPU and that the PS3 has Gbit... thus you can transcode "lossless" 1080P at over 200mbit/s over the network, with no HDD space lost.

Tried PS3mediaserver for the first time yesterday and im very impressed! Things have come a long way since i last looked into media streaming. All my 1080 and 720p mkvs worked without a hitch.

PS3 and 360 both worked great using it. Only problem i had was 360 would only output 2ch sound, PS3 was outputing 5.1 AC3/DTS with the same settings. Is this a limitation with the 360 or with PS3mediaserver? Or have i just not set things up correctly?

Based on earlier conversations and posts like this, it seems that 360 does not support 5.1 AC3 with H.264. It can play them separately though. Don't know if this has changed recently.

EDIT: You need to use WMA Pro with VC-1 or H.264 instead.

I have been using the method of remuxing .mkvs to .mpgs/.m2ts with mkv2vob. Does multiAVCHD offer any advantages over this? It seems to offer more control. What I want to know, is what container is AVCHD in? Or if that is the container, then what is the filesize difference compared to the original if any?

It works rather well on my Linux system (I even tried running it on a ARMEL system, and it worked (though TXMuxer doesn't, and the 400Mhz CPU is too slow :D), but needs some additional packages to work better.

I have many mkvs, so I need the remuxing options that PS3MS gives me. I love that mpeg2 doesn't need much CPU and that the PS3 has Gbit... thus you can transcode "lossless" 1080P at over 200mbit/s over the network, with no HDD space lost.

This is great. I tried the Linux version a year back but wasn't very impressed. Guess I have to try it out again and see if I can ditch my webserver interface. I was waiting for rygel to be properly released, but now I guess I can pit it against something....

I have been using the method of remuxing .mkvs to .mpgs/.m2ts with mkv2vob. Does multiAVCHD offer any advantages over this? It seems to offer more control. What I want to know, is what container is AVCHD in? Or if that is the container, then what is the filesize difference compared to the original if any?

No difference in size. They become .mts files. I don't think there are many advantages purely for that, as your tool should do the same, since there is no re-encoding of the file (or else it would have taken longer ;) ). It does put it in a format that seems to support burning to a DVD-R or BD-R though.

What I like about it basically is that I can easily select files, select an output location and then just choose Playstation 3 with a big button to make it ready for the PS3. Really easy to use and if I need more functions that seems to be easy enough.

None of the 720p WMV game videos from Microsoft sites (Turn 10, Bungie) work properly on my PS3. Video is fine but the audio codec doesn't work. Forcing me to watch them on my 360 (which is annoyingly loud)

Is MS deliberately using an audio format unplayable on PS3?

Are you downloading them and then playing them from HDD, or are you streaming them? I haven't tried any of those videos directly from their site, but I did watch the Turn 10 video on my PS3 (the one that starts with the yellow, ehm, I think it was a Supra?) and had no problems.

None of the 720p WMV game videos from Microsoft sites (Turn 10, Bungie) work properly on my PS3. Video is fine but the audio codec doesn't work. Forcing me to watch them on my 360 (which is annoyingly loud)

Is MS deliberately using an audio format unplayable on PS3?

It may be MS's WMA Pro audio (Container format is WMV-HD). PS3 uses 5.1 AC3 instead, which is what everyone else uses for multi-channel audio.

Back