Console pricing thread

Yeah, I know about Nordisk Film, but Sony could move their business anytime if they wanted to, so I find it hard to believe Nordisk Film is cutting 20% inbetween.

Do the official bundles cost more than 479 € in Finland?

Hmm now that I did some looking around, it seems that the standard 80Gb model is going for about 399€ and the bundles are between 450-480€, so the price has come down a bit.

About Nordisk Film, I have always understood the situation that Sony doesn't distribute Playstations in Scandinavia and uses Nordisk Film for that. 20% is not that much really and Nordisk film also does localisations to some of the games that are released here. I doubt Sony could find a better partner to do that job, or they would have done it already and it seems that five small countries are not enough for them to start their own operation.

These are actually official bundles. The Media Market dea which I've just looked at in more detail is actually one of these official bundles, and then adding one Sony title (Resistance 2, LBP, Buzz, MotorStorm 2, or any of 4 SingStar PS3 discs) for free.
Last month in mediamarkt there was a local action and they had the following bundle

* PS3 80GB
* 2 sixaxis controllers
* 5 games (LBP, R&C , AC, NFS and I think fifa)

439 euro

consoleshop.nl/consoleshop.be also has a bundle PS3 80GB + LBP + motorstorm 2 for 399 euro or PS3 80 GB + LBP + Motorstorm 2 + Mirrors Edge for 439 euro

It seems that a lot of shops have PS3 bundles at the moment.

Quick question. Are PS3 games region free?

Warning though - DLC, updates and such often aren't. So say you had a Japanese Bioshock in your U.S. PS3, then you'd need to buy the Japanese Challenge rooms pack for it also. And say that the Japanese version only gets an update fixing the blur filter months later, you'll have to wait. And if you can't buy anything from the Japanese store (because you don't have a working credit card for that region, or can't get prepaid cards for it) then you can't buy DLC for your games altogether.

That's the only limitation currently, but it can sometimes be a bit of a bother as some people here can probably affirm.

Warning though - DLC, updates and such often aren't. So say you had a Japanese Bioshock in your U.S. PS3, then you'd need to buy the Japanese Challenge rooms pack for it also. And say that the Japanese version only gets an update fixing the blur filter months later, you'll have to wait. And if you can't buy anything from the Japanese store (because you don't have a working credit card for that region, or can't get prepaid cards for it) then you can't buy DLC for your games altogether.

That's the only limitation currently, but it can sometimes be a bit of a bother as some people here can probably affirm.

There's also an MP limitations, for a selected number of games.

Basically this, I'm in the UK right now and see amazon.co.uk has LBP for 23 pounds and would like to buy it. Would I be handicapped in anything? I assume the US and UK versions are identical?

Basically this, I'm in the UK right now and see amazon.co.uk has LBP for 23 pounds and would like to buy it. Would I be handicapped in anything? I assume the US and UK versions are identical?

LBP DLC is region-locked. Creating a European PSN account is trivial, though, if you want to get the free stuff.

HS
Same question about the 360
/hs

The 360 isn't region-free but most folks don't bother region-locking their games. The exception, of course, is Japan. Some smaller Japan-only releases are region-locked, possibly to encourage having these games localized (and relicensed by a western publisher).

OT
Thank you both of you (Arwin and Obonicus) but in fact as I don't own the system I'm not sure I understand properly the "region locking" concept.
My question is more like " if I buy a 360 in Europe will I be able to play a game from US? (say a present by my wife's parents). If yes "region locking" is related to some live features?

Between I've the same question in regard to the DSl, my wife's parents will offer her a DSl for chirsmass will she be able to play games bough in Europe?

(Sorry for the HS but I don't want to create a thread for such "tiny" thing)
/OT

Last edited by a moderator:
HS
Thank you both of you (Arwin and Obonicus) but in fact as I don't own the system I'm not sure I understand properly the "region locking" concept.

It's like with DVDs; region 1 DVDs won't run in, say, a region 4 player. But you can also have DVDs that will run in any sort of player.

My question is more like " if I buy a 360 in Europe will I be able to play a game from US? (say a present by my girlfirend's parents). If yes "region locking" is related to some live features?

If you're asking about specifics, it's hard to say with the 360 because it's not part of MS' policy to have region-free games. But so far, I think most, if not all western games are region-free. Now, I don't know how this works for server-based games like, say, Battlefield Bad Company. I seem to remember that those were, at least at launch, restricting their online gaming to a specific region (I don't know whether the console or the game determined this).

Between I've the same question in regard to the DSl, my girlfriend's parents will offer her a DSl for chirsmass will she be able to play games bough in Europe?

The DSL is region-free. You can play a game from any region on it. The Wii is not, and I think that there games are actually heavily region-restricted, like with the PS2.

(Sorry for the HS but I don't want to create a thread for such "tiny" thing)
/HS

Sorry, but what's 'HS'?

Thanks that's clear now :)
For HS well it's a mistake I'll edit it stands for "hors sujet" in french I forgot to use OT

I didn't realise most Western games are not region locked on the 360, thanks for correcting that obonicus.

My first (and soon only) Sony Rewards card bill came, $221.79 ($150 reward included). That was for the 80GB PS3 and four BD movies from Amazon. Time to close the account, mission accomplished.

I sold my 60GB for $500. So my plan to get the latest ultra-quiet PS3 and some guilt free cash for games was pulled off quite well.

Good price on the 60 GB.

I wouldn't mind a new one but I'll wait for what they call the Slim.

That's probably at least a year out, by which time they should have 160 GB drives?

Back