Console pricing thread

whats the average install time for those games ? I hear dmc4 is 20 minutes ? If so I don't think many people would be happy having to constantly install and uninstall games

Thank god that's not average. DMC4 is pretty much the worst case there is. MGS4 installs roughly the same amount of data in 5 or 6 minutes for example. (and the brief pre-chapter installs are more like slightly uncomfortable load times really. You have to take a mandatory 1-2 minute break before each new chapter)
GTAIV install took around 7 minutes if I remember correctly.
Quite a few of the more recent games have very little (Mirror's Edge, Little Big Planet), optional(Valkyria Chronicles) or no installs (Dead Space, Silent Hill Homecoming, Golden Axe)

I am sure the arcade unit does make a few customers pissed who want to play online and find out the hard drive is pretty much a requirement.

Not sure what you mean by this... any storage unit will suffice to play online, it doesn't have to be a hard drive.

I don't understand why console manufacturers don't have temporary sales to boost #s. Just like other electronic devices?

A month long sale of PS3 at $350 should move a decent amount of units.

The next year of sales will tell who was right. If the sub 200 dollar arcade unit leads to good sales MS was right. If the sub 200 dollar arcade unit does not sell then the developers were right.

It's more or less already selling.

It's been said to be the best selling 360 sku in Australia for some time (even before the latest round of price cuts) officially by MS.

It's probably the best seller in Europe.

And my wild guess is it's gone from being fairly irrelevant to 30-40% of the 360 market in USA after the latest pricing.

The bottom line is theres surely many 360 owners out there who wouldnt be if there wasn't an sku at this price. Even when it was basically a failure compared to other sku's, that was still true.

$249 Ps3

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/11/24/get-your-own-playstation-credit-card/

We’ve even sweetened the pot with a special introductory offer. Starting today until December 31, 2008, you could save $150 on the purchase of a PLAYSTATION 3 this holiday. There are a couple ways to do this. You can go to to www.sony.com/newpscard to get instant approval for your card, and an immediate $150 credit when you purchase a PS3 directly through the website.

Or you can go www.sony.com/getpscard to apply for the card and upon receipt of the card, use it at any authorized PlayStation retailer to purchase a PS3. The $150 credit will show up on your billing statement.

Credit cards for price reductions ? I hope those buying can pay it off or they may get it from behind later on

How do people buy 360s, MS Points?

Perhaps. Or bottle caps .

I'm speaking more to the point of opening up new lines of credit. Having to many lines of credit open at one time can lower your chances of getting loans or mortages in the future. Also having multiple cards with multiple due dates can cause many to miss payments. Thats on top of other issues like what hte interest rates they will charge you with that card.

You can get similar deals with say the chase freedom card which is actually tied to a bank where you can go in person to get support and you can also tie a chase bank account to that credit card to insure at least the minimum payment is made on time each month.

If you haven't noticed at least the Americans are not very responsible when it comes to credit and carrying debt. Just look at our President elect and how much more debt he wants to pile onto this country.

Good points, but it's no different from buying other goods (like a 360) using a credit card. In this case, just use a different credit card with a $150 credit. In fact, I just applied for it :)

As always, be responsible and pay it off in one go. If people can't pay off $249, they certainly shouldn't consider PS3 or the higher end 360 SKUs. Remember there is no network subscription fees.

I've done this with my TV as well, also for a 150 euro discount. I just never activated the card, and after a year (now basically) I cancel the card. And I payed for the TV at the first opportunity (it wasn't charged until three months later). This kind of deal is worth it if you can afford the PS3 at 249 anyway, but if you can't and think you'll be able to pay it off later, you start paying interest, get tempted to run it further into debt, etc. Don't go there. That's basically what they are after, like a Mob scheme to get you into (favor or cash) debt and never out of it. :p

Good points, but it's no different from buying other goods (like a 360) using a credit card. In this case, just use a different credit card with a $150 credit. In fact, I just applied for it :)

As always, be responsible and pay it off in one go. If people can't pay off $249, they certainly shouldn't consider PS3 or the higher end 360 SKUs. Remember there is no network subscription fees.

Its a world of diffrence if your using a preexisting one or opening one like the card I listed above. The one I listed above gives cash back at all stores and more at the 3 places you shoped at the most that month (or whatever ones you set)

The sony card listed here has a default apr of up to 29.99% variable. Your also charged up to $39 for late payments

I just don't know if the cons out weigh the reward of $150 off. Of course someo f us are responsible enough to buy items and pay them off at the end of each month , but not everyone is able to do so.

I've done this with my TV as well, also for a 150 euro discount. I just never activated the card, and after a year (now basically) I cancel the card. And I payed for the TV at the first opportunity (it wasn't charged until three months later). This kind of deal is worth it if you can afford the PS3 at 249 anyway, but if you can't and think you'll be able to pay it off later, you start paying interest, get tempted to run it further into debt, etc. Don't go there. That's basically what they are after, like a Mob scheme to get you into (favor or cash) debt and never out of it.

In the states to get the discount you have to charge the item to your credit card. So there is no way around activating it and charging the account. Also aside from intrest this is still an open line of credit on your credit reports.

ook if you have $250 plus tax to buy the ps3 then go for it , its not a bad deal. But just think twice about it , its not a free $150 bucks and it can end up costing you much more in the future even simply by increasing the rates you can get on loans. Even .1 % increase on a mortage would be much mre than you saved on the ps3

Second, how in the hell did, "don't use credit" turn into a fucking console war!?!

I don't think it did, at least not until you typed this line. Discussing the positive and negative aspects of credit is and really should be fine in a console pricing thread.

First, I would say that someone who could get approved for credit in this current market probably has no problems paying either $399 or $249. Second, how in the hell did, "don't use credit" turn into a fucking console war!?!

It never did. First off you can still get credit cards in the current market. They will just give you a lower spending limit and a hire interest rate. Secondly there are some who may think of using this just as a coupon and I issued a general warning that there can be consequences that end up costing more than you saved in the first place and that people should be aware of opening a credit card for a discount on a singular item can be a poor choice for many out there.

This isn't like the dell coupons i've pointed out before or other deals , this has consequences that are long lasting and can be a negative or postive thing.

I don't understand why console manufacturers don't have temporary sales to boost #s. Just like other electronic devices?

A month long sale of PS3 at $350 should move a decent amount of units.

That's more the purview of the retail chains, no? If MS/Sony had a 50$ drop in vendor price for one month the retailers would stockpile for a year and make a killing.

Its a world of diffrence if your using a preexisting one or opening one like the card I listed above. The one I listed above gives cash back at all stores and more at the 3 places you shoped at the most that month (or whatever ones you set)

Sure and that's all great. But it doesn't give you $150 discounts for a PS3 purchase right ? The cash backs are usually meagle.

...blah...

ook if you have $250 plus tax to buy the ps3 then go for it , its not a bad deal. But just think twice about it , its not a free $150 bucks and it can end up costing you much more in the future even simply by increasing the rates you can get on loans. Even .1 % increase on a mortage would be much mre than you saved on the ps3

Opening a new credit card will cause you a few points at first, but if you pay on time, it helps to build your credit history, and hence a better loan in the future. There are always positives and negatives for everything. Even if you keep your current credit cards, you are still liable for scoring badly. The only real point is to be responsible to your finance.

Now if it's a great deal, I don't see why it's suddenly all doom and gloom to take advantage of it as long as you are as diligent with the new card as your old cards.

Sure and that's all great. But it doesn't give you $150 discounts for a PS3 purchase right ? The cash backs are usually meagle.

and aside from the $150 ps3 discount you will get nothing else from the card except the max spending limit listed as debt on your credit report. Many cards offer first month bonuses when you first sign up. Cards that offer general cash back on purchases including every day purchases can easily make you back that $150 by just buying items at shoprite or stop and shop. And will continue to provide you cash back for months and years to come.

Opening a new credit card will cause you a few points at first, but if you pay on time, it helps to build your credit history, and hence a better loan in the future.

That isn't how it works actually. First you will be polled for your credit which is a negative when other companys are looking into your credit. Secondly having an open line of credit is considered a debt when other companys check your credit report. They will consider the max line you can get from that credit card as debt. So if this card gives you a two thousand line of credit , when someone polls you to buy a new car or a mortage they will consider you as having a $2000 debt and may pass on you . The more open lines of credit the worse off you are. Its recomended to only carry 2-3 credit cards and that they shouldn't be store cards. Also thinking that you'd just open it and then pay the bill and close the credit line wont work either as you will take a negative hit on your credit score.

Your right that eventualy you can build your credit , however it would be much easier with other cards that are part of your bank. Normaly with a linjked credit card from a place you have a savings account you can get a lower apr.

Now if it's a great deal, I don't see why it's suddenly all doom and gloom to take advantage of it as long as you are as diligent with the new card as your old cards.

I never said it was doom and gloom. I only pointed out that this isn't a coupon and there are strings attached adn the strings can be negative

Sony may not do a price cut but it may do discounts through selective outlets.

Similar to the X360 deal through Microcenter last year or the year before.

Amazon is offering a limited number of PS3 bundles at $199.

Back