ELSA hints GT206 and GT212

"tons of OEM design wins we have on desktops and notebooks"

Is this their way of saying:

"We've lost many OEM deals because we messed up last year and can't get 40nm products out until September"

I know TMSC's problems are AMD problems too ... but, at least they have an 40nm product on shelves now.

Anyone knowing hows AMD doing with design wins?

I know TMSC's problems are AMD problems too ... but, at least they have an 40nm product on shelves now.

Not as far as I can see. A month after launch and it's out of stock everywhere with lead times up to two weeks at some retailers. So far RV740's woes are corroborating Nvidia's side of the story.

Haven't heard anything about OEM design wins for AMD's 40nm products but that could be because they don't toot their own horn nearly as loud as the competition.

Well AMD used to tout design wins with Puma, and at the end it was rather non-existant (the Neo on dv2 alone probably did better than the whole Puma ordeal, and Neo only has 2 design "wins" AFAIK, HP and MSI)

So design win touts could mean anything, I suppose.

For something that's supposed to go into mass production in August, seems rather unnatural that it'd score large sums of wins now, too. WRT AMD's 55nm mobile parts though, the 40nm nVidias could do quite some damage, so we aren't really too sure what's the clear line out of this.

I think he's seen the same info that I've seen... he specifically mentioned something I didn't... which is that the prices quoted are FOB, which means that end users will have to pay more in the end.

He did however make the same mistake as I did by calling the lowest part GT210 instead of G210, so I think he just has to read the slides a bit better.

Just looking at the semiaccurate article it might be worth abandoning the GT21X code names and substituting the NV21X style names instead.

The clash between the retail style name and internal code name is kindof confusing, especially if not following too closely. Secondly not really sure how much tesla these mainstream parts will have.

Trying this now:
How about a hint about what if anything, NVidia will be showing at show this week.
They are supposed to announce(or maybe only show in private not sure) the NV216 and NV218 chips. Also an outside chance of samples of the NV214/215 also being on show, though likely not announced. If you are interested in the high end i think it is also the official announcement of the GTX275. There is also quite a bit of ion stuff + 3d glasses to appeal to ordinary people.

Last edited by a moderator:
:LOL: "We admit it's good and crunchy" -- Nvidia finally embraces DirectX 10.1

So, the mobile GT2** would be a test vehicle for the NV's DX10.1 impl?

This is Nvidia's first 40nm chip and it's DirectX 10, but there is a big chance that it even supports DirectX 10.1. Unfortunately, we cannot confirm this at press time.

It will also come with DX11, or it might not. It might also ship with a picture of JHH's abdomen, or .. it might not.

Next news they'll post is that GT216 has 48 SPs and GT218 has 24 SPs. And then it's the clockspeeds (600-650 for GT216 and ~600 for GT218)... and finally a newsarticle with the Vantage scores (~P3xxx & ~P1xxx)... that way they'll have news and hits for the next couple of days. ;)

Next news they'll post is that GT216 has 48 SPs and GT218 has 24 SPs. And then it's the clockspeeds (600-650 for GT216 and ~600 for GT218)... and finally a newsarticle with the Vantage scores (~P3xxx & ~P1xxx)... that way they'll have news and hits for the next couple of days. ;)

You caught on to them too eh? Funny how they can post the same article three times and no-one seems to notice.

Everybody noticed long ago and we all bitched about it back then too.

24 SP's = uninspired GT200 clones? Meh.

Does 1 GB of memory even make sense for an approximately 50 USD chip and the performance it would theoretically be capable of?

Is this possibly just Nvidia trying to offload more inventory? I'm just struggling to see how 1 GB would be useful on a low end budget chip.

Regards,
SB

So is there any credibility to the idea of a DX10.1 part?
If so the parts must surely be very late with DX11 due out in only a few months o_O
Or they are actually DX11?!

I now have 3 different unit counts for GT218 - 16,24 and 32, and still 2 for GT216: 48 and 64. If GT216 is released at only 48shaders think might be a bit of a gap above it to the G92 or GT214/215(supposed to be 128SPs). The more aggressive unit counts were early before nvidia perhaps saw the lay of the land at 40nm.

Re Fudzilla 'GT210' name turns up again, what a virulent meme.

Does 1 GB of memory even make sense for an approximately 50 USD chip and the performance it would theoretically be capable of?

Is this possibly just Nvidia trying to offload more inventory? I'm just struggling to see how 1 GB would be useful on a low end budget chip.

Regards,
SB

It all depends on the application; GTA4 is an extreme sample, but in benchmarks made by iirc quite reputable site (which name i can't recall atm, but i think it was some german site) HD38-series card with 1GB mem actually was faster than HD48-series card with 512MB mem when the textures were set to high(est) quality

Back