Game Engines: Too specialized for one game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we sure R6V uses UE3? I could have sworn someone here said Rainbow 6 Vega uses a heavily modified UE2.5.

BTW, I heard Tenchu IV on the Wii uses Gamebryo. I don't think the game looks anything like Oblivion at all. I know the engine is very scalable, and is even used in Playboy game on the PS2. These games have really nothing in common graphically or gameplay wise.

Slightly off topic, but can anyone actually look at a screen shot and reliably tell whether a game is using normal mapping or bump mapping? It looks like the guy's face is normal mapped, but it's hard to assume when it comes to the Wii. Usually, you'd be lucky if it didn't look like diarrhea, let alone have normal mapping.

t6.jpg

Err... unless you are a mutant you aren't counting the number of games using UE3 on one hand! :LOL: Since you aren't very familiar with the games using the engine I guess that is an arguement for the point that games using an engine don't all look alike. Because, if they did, you would know there were more than a handful ;)

*looks at list*

Red Steel Sequel!? There's your first ugly as sin UE3 game.

To be fair to psorcerer, he was responding to this:

UE3 has tons of games (even big budget ones) that look completely different than Gears.

So I don't think any list containing UT3 and Gears itself really counts. :D

Also, MoH:AA is Quake 3 engined :LOL:

Yes I did, thanks.

I guess all this thread has left to offer is a wee bit of nitpickery. ;)

@catisfit: This thread is not about being different than Gears. It's about the ability of one engine to work with different art styles or effects/technical directions. List provided by bigtabs features a bunch of games running on one engine, games that utilize it in a variety of ways. The only cherry picking I see is your approach to disprove an argument by filtering the original statement so it doesn't make sense anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cat, I merely responded to the question 'what games are released using ue3, i doubt ill need more than one hand..'

The list given was off the top of my head. A simple google search rewards those interested with around 30 released titles with another 50 or so in development.

Is your discussion relevant and/or at all interesting? Im all ears.

To be fair to psorcerer, he was responding to this:

So I don't think any list containing UT3 and Gears itself really counts. :D

I dont think you understand what this thread is about.

UE3 has tons of games (even big budget ones) that look completely different than Gears.

This means that there are tons of Unreal Engine 3 based games, that look different that Gears.

I dont know what your on about.

@ConayR and bigtabs - You both seem to have missed that psorcerer's quote was in direct response to Ostepop's statement about games looking different to Gears. It was quite clear as he quoted it right there (look at #57 again). That's the context, which everybody else seems to have removed it from.

Not that it really matters in a thread about whether it would be better for AAA developers to make their own engine fine-tuned to their own game and art style rather than licensing one. Agreed on that point ;)

I dont think you understand what this thread is about.

As ConayR quite rightly said, "This thread is not about being different than Gears". You dragged it there in the first place :smile:

The way I understand:
Err...UE3 has lots of games? Mind to point out on the released ones? I suppose I'll need only one hand to count these "lots", but maybe I'm wrong...
Is: "there are few games on UE" and not "there are few games on UE that look unlike Gears". :) But yeah, you can probably interpret it in many different ways.

@ConayR and bigtabs - You both seem to have missed that psorcerer's quote was in direct response to Ostepop's statement about games looking different to Gears. It was quite clear as he quoted it right there (look at #57 again). That's the context, which everybody else seems to have removed it from.

So what, everything he said was completely wrong, and ended with a rather humuristic closing argument.

Not that it really matters in a thread about whether it would be better for AAA developers to make their own engine fine-tuned to their own game and art style rather than licensing one. Agreed on that point ;)

Id say the thread was just as much about his theory about all the UE3 games being alike as the engine discussion.

The engine discussion is obvious, making your own engine is obviously better if your developers have the talent, but it costs more $ and has more risk involved. Aspecially if your exclusive to one platform, using these multiplatform engines isn't exactly optimal.

As ConayR quite rightly said, "This thread is not about being different than Gears". You dragged it there :smile:

The topic creator, talked about how he thought all UE3 based games looked the same as UT3\Gears (put in a few simple words), which isn't exactly the reality. Look at post 55 first. Pscourcerer is trying to contradict what i say there, hes saying that there are few games that are even running on UE3. He is not saying that there are a few games that look different. Hes trying to make a point of how few titles that are released on UE3 (i dunno how many there are, but i bet there is atleast 70 that are released\in development).

Beforewe get back to the topic, mind you explain what your "defending psourcerer" from? Atleast in pm.

I dont get it, all his responses thats broken out point by point are wrong. What do i have to do with this. If you read the entire thread, the topic is about the claim that UE3 titles look like gears\ut3, for pretty much all of first posts. I did not start that discussion, the thread starter did when said ue3 titles look the same. Which was his theorem of basing the rest of the stuff on.

Pscourceres claims, are obvious if you read all his posts. Only one way to comprehend his posts if you read all of them.

Thread closed as all the intelligent points have been made, and people can read and form their opinion from the existing discussion. No need for future debate/bickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back