The G92 Architecture Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lower port has got a big chip. This one is also connected to the D-Sub 15 pin adapter... Could it be possible that the lower chip has got more functionality for connect to analog port? (Might be wrong) or the lower port may contain the HDCP?

Just my guess..

That does not make much sense, in this case NV would made a special 6 TCP-gpu (like NV41 was the special 12PP-design).

By highest volume I hope you mean with its segment, because no G80 chip is high volume compared to G84/G86.

No I keep thinking that G92 is the replacement for G84 for some reason. I guess the theory that G92 is a RV670/8800GTS class chip and the high-end is going to be G92x2 is just too clunky for my subconscious to accept.

So not only is it a multi-chip thing, it's another ugly slapped together dual-PCB monstrosity too?!

:cry:

Monstrosity ?
The 7950 GX2 was the size of a 8800 GTS or a HD2900 XT, and smaller than a 8800 GTX/Ultra.
Perfectly within acceptable limits, IMHO, unless the aesthetics part is of utmost importance to you when you peek through a case window during gameplay... ;)

No I keep thinking that G92 is the replacement for G84 for some reason. I guess the theory that G92 is a RV670/8800GTS class chip and the high-end is going to be G92x2 is just too clunky for my subconscious to accept.

Doesn't seem right to me either........

Hmm.. I see a pattern... G92 GX2 vs RV680 (2x RV670)?

"Known" since months... ;)

But RV680 sounds a bit wrong for a high-end-part, I would prefer something without the value-V:
amd2cb6vo8.jpg

The 7950 GX2 was the size of a 8800 GTS or a HD2900 XT, and smaller than a 8800 GTX/Ultra.
Perfectly within acceptable limits, IMHO, unless the aesthetics part is of utmost importance to you when you peek through a case window during gameplay...

The noise-level would not match to the silent high-end-SKUs in recent past, but probably NV improved this point.
Maybe something like this:
eax1950produal3ni9.jpg
eax1950produal1in6.jpg

-> ASUS Dual X1950Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. I see a pattern... G92 GX2 vs RV680 (2x RV670)?

Doesn't make much sense, why would nV drop a process node and not increase performance on a single die chip and then double up where they have alot of leeway to increase performance and increase performance (not purely clock speed increases), . AMD doesn't really have a reason to do it either. More PCB and RAM increases cost too.

It's getting rather difficult to tell at this point... I find it interesting that both IHVs arrived at the same solution seemingly independently at the same time. Doesn't bode well for the rumors of collusion and the DOJ investigation, IMHO.

It's getting rather difficult to tell at this point... I find it interesting that both IHVs arrived at the same solution seemingly independently at the same time. Doesn't bode well for the rumors of collusion and the DOJ investigation, IMHO.

Well, they've both been telegraphing it for the last 3 years or so! Anybody who is surprised. . . shouldn't be. Disappointed, maybe. Unhappy. Other verbs, perhaps. But not surprised.

Well, they've both been telegraphing it for the last 3 years or so! Anybody who is surprised. . . shouldn't be. Disappointed, maybe. Unhappy. Other verbs, perhaps. But not surprised.

I know they've been pushing AFR for quite some time now, so it is the expected outcome at some point, I just didn't expect it until next generation. It makes sense to do so given the recent process shrinks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back