YouTube advert inflation and Premium costs *spawn

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
I'm thinking I'm going to bite the bullet and start paying for Youtube Premium. I use the site enough and consume so much content on it that it's about time I started paying for it in all honesty. I don't want to sit through ads.

Semi-related.. I was watching Twitch the other night while drifting off and when I woke up, the stream started an ad roll..... 9 freaking ads.... They're getting WAYYYYY too comfortable... 2 or 3 I can handle... 9 ads? Nah.. not happening.

But can't users monetize their own productions by taking a slice of that advertising revenue? I'm not sure exactly how it works but if that's the case then that's pretty reasonable. I don't know what the split between YT and content creators is though.
They can and they do

Mr beats made more than 50 mln in 2021.
I think the reason why is it so expensive for premium no ads is simply somebody sit down and calculated how much we need to charge per user to not lose any money by not showing ads. YT is in top 5 or 10 most visited sites globally.
In Sweden YouTube premium costs more than Disney and Amazon prime combine. And they also need to have infrastructure, storage, network bandwidth what not. And on top of that they pay for the actual content.

Speaking of "Why we have dedicated handhelds instead of just phones": Rich is just gushing over the new OLED Steam Deck. Tons of improvements aside from the screen - better battery life, slight uptick in performance due to faster LPDDR5, easier repairability, new trackpads, etc.
I pre-ordered the original SteamDeck but cancelled it once reviews of the screen came out and really wished they had launched an OLED version.. seventeen months ago. Now it's that old Zen2 core so I'll wait for the inevitable Zen4 update, like the chip that's in the ROG Ally.

You're kind of exactly proving my point - you expect that Youtube should be some free service ran by pixie dust.
I was paying for YouTube Premium. How is that somebody who expects something for free?

There was no evaluation made here, it's just, "I am used to getting such an incredibly rich online service for free, and so am very sensitive to any degree of increase in ad saturation".
For fuck's sake, I said I was paying for YouTube Premium. You pay money for that. How the is that free? Inside a year YouTube Premium went from costing less per month that Netflix to costing almost 15% more than Netflix. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But can't users monetize their own productions by taking a slice of that advertising revenue? I'm not sure exactly how it works but if that's the case then that's pretty reasonable. I don't know what the split between YT and content creators is though.
The ad revenue that creators see from from YouTube, whether from basic ads, what was Red and now Premium has massively cratered over time. Creators that talk about the business side of their channels have been talking about this for a few years because the drop-off started during lock-down, but it became really bad earlier this year, with ad revenue dropping off by up to 90%. You can also google it.

This is why Patreon support and merchandise is much more important to many creators. I favour Patreon as many creators share their content their directly, and generally at better quality than YouTube serves.

Blimey. The WSJ bot(s) have latched on to this thread.

Personally I see the "your subscription is used to support content creators" line in the same vein as "won't somebody think of the children".

OK Google, how about you tell me what percentage of my putative £12/month goes to the CCs and how it is divvied up between those that run the channels that I watch?

What's that you say? Complicated? Difficult? Dynamic/agile/free-range? Commercial secret? Fine I'll stick to Patreon. You can target your ads and I can target my money.

I pre-ordered the original SteamDeck but cancelled it once reviews of the screen came out and really wished they had launched an OLED version.. seventeen months ago. Now it's that old Zen2 core so I'll wait for the inevitable Zen4 update, like the chip that's in the ROG Ally.

Valve claims they wanted OLED at launch too, but it just wasn't possible to get manufacturers on board for a custom solution at that price point as the market for PC handhelds had yet to prove its viability. Now that the Deck has seen success, they were able to go back to OLED makers and get an affordable option.

Now it has started to appear in embedded video too, with the caveat that you can't pause the ads, you have to reload the whole page to stop it or wait for it to end.

Semi-related.. I was watching Twitch the other night while drifting off and when I woke up, the stream started an ad roll..... 9 freaking ads.... They're getting WAYYYYY too comfortable... 2 or 3 I can handle... 9 ads? Nah.. not happening.
Ah, the TV model of minimal ads at the beginning of a movie and tons of them at the end when you were committed to seeing it through.

Just a thought, I had some ad supported games (iirc gametap) but I didn't get any ads, my theory was this was because they hadn't sold any ads in my country I'm wondering if you sign up to youtube from some small obscure country
if you would get less ads?

Just a thought, I had some ad supported games (iirc gametap) but I didn't get any ads, my theory was this was because they hadn't sold any ads in my country I'm wondering if you sign up to youtube from some small obscure country
if you would get less ads?
I don't think I had ads on Gametap. But it was a paid subscription when I was on it. Did they ad a free tier later in life?

Yes I dont know if the free (ad supported) tier had all the games the subscription had.
found this post of mine from 2008 (post doesnt mention if it was from gametap)
Dont exclude a game just because it is ad supported, i downloaded psi-ops and what happens is when i run the game is I get a 10 second movie trailer first and the same trailer plays when i exit the game,
and this post from Richard in 2009
Gametap has announced it is moving several of its free games to its subscriber model on January 22nd. Since they are now effectively, timed free games, I removed these from the list. They also forgot to include Blood Omen 2 and Tomb Raider in that list but their site lists these games as becoming subscriber-only after Jan 22nd so I also removed those.
I dont know if the games you had continued to work after this date, since I have every file I've ever downloaded from the internet saved on cdr/dvdr's all cunningly labeled backup with the date so I can immediately tell at a glance what's on them I guess I could find out ;)

Last edited:
I used to live with the occasional YouTube ads (of which next to nothing goes to creators,

Just watched a video in this video they posted their youtube analytics
1699698890908.png

Right, so 0.1 cents per view. Compared to $13/month for premium.

By any measure of how many videos I watch a month very little of that is going to the content creators.

Those 361k viewers would be paying $46M per month if they all had premium.

So yeah Google is not thinking of the children here.

i always lived the youtube ad life, no ad blocker on youtube on pc and i used the legit mobile app too so there was a lot of ads.

and then earlier this week i looked by accident on the usage stats of my youtube account and it was well, a lot, so i just bit the bullet and went for premium and i dont regret it

I've had YT premium for probably over a year now. I watch a lot of YT so to me it's definitely worth it. I don't agree with how much it costs, nor how little the premium and ad money seems to go to the creators though.

An Experiment :
Trying to test my theory that ads are sold per country.
Do you have a vpn ?
if so, logout of youtube, clear your browser cache and cookies. Then in your vpn slelect a location that is obscure and has a very small population I know that Nord vpn allows you to log in from Christmas island (population 1,400) although it is a Australian dependency so maybe Australian ads get shown there maybe you can come up with a better location. then visit youtube (dont login to it or gmail/google ect) see if you still get the ads.

Back