Your family members' reaction to your gaming

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Do they feel gaming is a worth activity, or do they feel it is completely useless activity and a waste of time? Atleast my family members get irritated whenever I switch ON my PS2. :)

My wife plays PC games nearly as much as I do (albeit they're mostly puzzle games); my brother-in-law got into games thanks to me too. Rest of the family think they're a waste of time though.

I remember my mother developed this hate (real hate) towards videogames, so much so that just thinking about turning on whatever console i had at the time, drove her insane. Started screaming, throwing chairs at me, sometimes knives, sometimes scolding hot frying oil.

Those were the good times.

I almost stopped gaming in the last few months, but before that there were no objections except that my former gf was sometimes irritated because I devoted my time to something else than her. Now I live alone again, so no problems.

noone around here has any problems with gaming.... my mom (65) plays Mahhjong every day. that aint gaming like COD or UT or W:ET, but when you look at it, there isnt that much of difference either..... it something to do if you are bored and its fun (certainly beats TV)

I have a buddy who owns 1 original Gauntlet arcade cabinet and 2 original Gauntlet 2 arcade cabinets (they all weigh like a hundred kilos each, or close enough to it anyway), he also has a Ti99 8-bit computer, several Atari 8-bit computers, several flavors of Atari STs (regular, STe, and a Falcon), plus several PCs, including one pretty high-specced one with a Radeon X800XT in it and at least one 486 dedicated to DOS games. He is also looking at the auction sites for a collector's box of WoW for around US$150 simply because he wants a DVD copy of the game rather than one that comes on 3 or 4 CDs... So you might say gaming is pretty important to him... :p

His g/f simply has to accept all this, because HE will never change. I don't think he'd change even if she threatened to take his less than 2 y/o son and leave him, hehehe.

I don't game a lot but I'm always at a PC, when I tell people the hours I spend at my PC they're like "HOW?!" but then, I don't watch TV much at all.

My girlfriend regards it with the same bemusement that I reserve for when she watches 'Big Brother'.

london-boy said:
sometimes scolding hot frying oil.
"BAD OIL! BAD!" ;)

My wife doesn't care too much, though we try to find other active things to do. (Gym, running, etc)

My sister, however, is discovering that her youngest son is made in my image: fixated by computers, and hyper. She's not terribly excited by that.

My whole family games, they got no problem with my hobby and I think they're all pretty glad to have me around to make everything work goodly. :)

Back