You like silicon based products and cheese? Pizza Hut mixes both for your pleasure!

What you think is largely wrong, then. Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa John's all do that. They may have things like their thin crusts which actually develop the glutens a little more, but they're only exceptions because they have to be. Domino's does a little more working of the dough than others, but that's only because they have a policy about fitting the dough into the pan by hand rather than by rolling. Papa John's or Round Table have a few specialty crusts which are handled a little differently, but they're still not really the main lines of sale. Pizza Hut also briefly offered something that had a partially yeast-risen crust, but it was short-lived for various reasons (among which was that it was harder to maintain the consistency demanded by being a chain).
And all that is very different than "like a pancake". I've never had any pizza (sans frozen supermarket pizza) with dought that had the consistancy like a pancake.

And all that is very different than "like a pancake". I've never had any pizza (sans frozen supermarket pizza) with dought that had the consistancy like a pancake.
Like I said, when you take it at a purely technical level about the dough, you can categorize it together with pancakes. And xxx's pancake comparison seemed to be mainly about the spongy, squishy nature of the inside of the crust, for which the closest quick-bread analogy he seemed to be able to find was a pancake (which is indeed spongy and squishy on the inside). Pizza Hut's pan pizza is actually a pretty good example of this when you think about it. The not-like-a-pancake part of the texture is the outer "crusty" part which is primarily only true because it gets deep-fried in grease. Seems like the only thing to complain about is the choice of target for his analogy.

The not-like-a-pancake part of the texture is the outer "crusty" part which is primarily only true because it gets deep-fried in grease. Seems like the only thing to complain about is the choice of target for his analogy.
Deep-fried in grease? Like, baked in a pan or such? I don't think I've ever seen that done in any pizza restaurant I ever visited. They are all made on the spot and baked dry in an oven, as they should be.

Then again, the few American pizza places I visited (had to try it, didn't like it), didn't visibly bake them on the spot, as far as I remember.

Pizza Hut's "Pan Pizza" is an anomoly. Everybody else bakes on the spot in oven. (Not usually brick ovens, but conveyor ovens, but still)

Thanks, it sounded like a really strange thing to do to a pizza, and not very appetizing.

Back