XP usefull functions......

micky

Newcomer
Apart from defraging, what other features available within XP are usefull/recommended to be run quite often.

Don't know a great deal about XP so wanted to make sure anything I can do which may improve speed/reliability etc can be done..easily.

Type "msconfig" at the Start > Run prompt and then choose the Starup tab. Then go through and disable all the crap that gets installed that runs on startup. Google the processes first before arbitarily disabling any, though, as some are useful (such as virus scanners etc.)

If you use IE as your main browser then running spyware scanners is also recommended periodically.

i wish blackviper.com weren't down... does anyone know of a mirror of his info? it was very good information abot windows proceses. I disabled about 1/3 of the ones on my old box with ZERO problems! :D

A very interesting thing to take a look at, is the Windows logs. Especially when something strange happens. It more often than not can tell you what is happening on your computer. And it is a great way to check if everything is functioning as intended when you switch off as many services and other things as possible with msconfig.

The windows key+R brings up the run dialog. Type gpedit.msc and hit enter. You can customize alot of various windows settings with this, almost all of which come with detailed explanations.

Typing in services.msc will bring up the services dialog which allows you to configure, yup you guessed it, all windows services. There is alot of unnecessary stuff running by default, disabling alot of these will speed up your start time considerably and free up system resouces. There are plenty of sites around that describe these services including which are ok to disable and which aren't.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Disable as many services as you can, except for essential ones.

one said:
Disable as many services as you can, except for essential ones.
Unless you are absolutely sure what the services do and you understand their dependencies then it's far safer to disable one service at a time, reboot, and check that everything works.

silence said:
nlite is for new instalation, but what if i wanna get rid of some parts on existing instalation....

or i got something wrong?

No, you got it right. There is XPlite which is shareware that works after windows is installed, I'm not aware of any other such programs. I read XPlite causes some problems and doesn't remove many files it should when you select the components. I prefer nLite exactly because it removes stuff even before they are installed (or even present on the CD).

My c: partition is dedicated exclusively to Windows and programs and it's only 8gb. With the amount of dross I remove from windows (my CD source is reduced to ~150mb) installation is quick and unattended while through nLite's built-in patches and reg tweaks I get windows folders/startmenu/etc. setup as I like. I actually have it set it up right now where most of the "small" programs I use are installed in unattended mode right after the first boot so aside from Visual Studio and Office I get windows looking and behaving exactly like I want on the second boot probably taking less time than it would defragging my whole drive and without the need for extensive backups (since almost all my files are left intact in the D: E: and F: partitions anyway). YMMV of course, and if you have a c: drive mixing windows, programs, games, personal files, etc. then backing everything up for a reinstall is probably not something you'd enjoy doing and nLite may start to lose its appeal.

Back