Xbox 360 Video Interview - Scott Henson

rabidrabbit said:
True, it'll be interesting to see how Sony manages this, considering that Microsofts solution isn't very elegant, and MS should have the edge in OS development.

The Guide as a solution is very elegant, and I hope the PS3 has something like it...

But yes, sometimes it is a bit slow.

rabidrabbit said:
The Blade OS is a bit slow and juddery if brought up in the middle of a game.
It was a demo pod I experienced this so I'm not sure if it's a feature.
No, this is how it happens in a lot of games, though typically on ones that are really stressing the system out (or perhaps doing a ton of IO on the DVD). I don't recall ever experiencing it from an Arcade Live game. I would imagine Sony would have similar problems; it seems to be the cost of doing a giant context switch...

The 360 is designed to go into people's homes. The PS3 is designed to have peoples homes built around it.

I don't think that people will want to build their homes around something like the PS3. That means, for 99% of users, no double HDTV setups, not using most of the 7 USB sockets, using their wireless router as the home network hub, and putting their HD satellite or cable tv into their TVs HDMI socket rather than the PS3*.

Blu Ray playback is an important feature no doubt, but it doesn't require being a dual HD, massivly USB'd network hub. Still there's lots of stuff they can cut off the PS3 when they want to release the PSThree at least! ;)

*If one of the PS3's HDMI sockets is a pass through, that could be one way to gain control of the TV. Or are dual HDMI TVs common now? Anyone? Or maybe the HDTV boxes will have passthrough...

rabidrabbit said:
You can't pull up the Blade OS in the middle of a game....:?:

All you can do is open the guide menu, which is a little stuttery since it's running with very little ram presumably. Also, it only stutters as slides open, after that it's smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidrabbit said:

True. In time I'm sure even 360's OS will improve but right now there is a noticable delay in the initial functionality during Next Gen gameplay. Some games auto-pause when pulling up the guide as well.

Which leads me to believe that all this talk of multitasking while a game running is just a bit premature. ;) I'll be shocked if this turns into a multitasking beast that some of us are envisioning (during gameplay).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back