Xbox 360 controller and Vista: A missed opportunity

pjbliverpool

B3D Scallywag
Legend
I recently purchased the xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows allowing me to use my wireless 360 pads with the PC. Its obviously a great wireless pad, the best available for any system IMO but I there is so much wasted potential there in the way it interfaces with Windows that I almost want to cry :cry:

The most glaring missing feature to me is a complete lack of functionality in Windows Media Centre. As far as im concerned thats a complete no brainer, it should interface with MC in exactly the same way as it does so when running MC through a 360 as an extender. There's simply no excuse for this IMO, MS puts pressure on game devs to include compatability with the pad in games but where is the example in their own apps?

Next is less of an ommision since its a bit unusual but I think the pad should be able to control the windows desktop as standard. This would be such a huge step toward giving PC's console like games functionality that im suprised MS hasn't implemented it already.

The buttons IMO should map by default on the windows desktop as such:

left stick - mouse
right stick - scroll up/down/left/right
triggers - left/right mouse button
d-pad - arrow keys
start - Start/Windows button
back - alt+F4 (close window)
A - enter
B - escape
Y - start media centre
X - hmmm.... suggestions?
L/R - forward/back (in explorer)
right stick click - windows+tab (window switcher)
left stick click - minimise window
dashboard button - Open games explorer

Now would that or would that not add MASSIVE functionality to the 360 controller in windows making it a very useful device for controlling the PC from the couch? (exactly what MS would like to see happen)

I bolded the last item as I think this is absolutely key. It, alonf with the arrow and enter buttons effectively give the PC console like functionality in selecting games.

• Your PC boots up (perhaps from sleep activated by the controller itself)
  • You press the dashboard button taking you straight to the games explorer
  • you select the game you want using the d-pad and start it by pressing green
  • Hey presto your into the game and didn't have to touch the key/mouse once!
If thats not as close as the PC is going to get to console like functionality with current tech then I don't know what is.

Of course some or all of the buttons should be user configurable through the control panel settings but using a default layout like this would make PC gaming much more "natural" to the masses IMO. Using a third party app to achieve this obviosuly wouldn't have the same effect.

Thoughts/comments? Seems to me this would be extremely easy for MS to implement and wouldn't have ANY negative effects since at present, the pad simply does nothing at all in windows :???:

The most glaring missing feature to me is a complete lack of functionality in Windows Media Centre. As far as im concerned thats a complete no brainer, it should interface with MC in exactly the same way as it does so when running MC through a 360 as an extender.

Dont you get a mediacenter remote with WMC? Why want a controller if you can get a remote for 25bucks? I got one and I love it.

Next is less of an ommision since its a bit unusual but I think the pad should be able to control the windows desktop as standard. This would be such a huge step toward giving PC's console like games functionality that im suprised MS hasn't implemented it already.

Why you'd want to controll your pc with a controller? a mouse is faster, more accurate and alot more comfortable.

If thats not as close as the PC is going to get to console like functionality with current tech then I don't know what is.

Why would you want your PC to have console functionality? A mouse and keyboard are about a billion times better than any gamepad for pc things. You'll be in for a real nightmare if you need to browse, chat, type in word, use photoshop, use max etc with only a gamepad. There is only one controller wich is decent at browsing and that is the wiicontroller and only because its more like a mouse than a gamepad. As far as gaming goes, most ''pc genres'' are better playable with a mouse and keyboard so no real need for a gamepad either. Besides, most games support gamepads so you could still use one if you wanted. And yes opening the game explorer with a few buttons might have been nice but I dont think thats something people would really care about.

I agree that it would be nice if I could control some aspects of Windows with 360's controller.

Though there's 3rd party plugin which allows you to use the pad as a MCE-remote. I've tested it with MCE 2005 and it worked and I suppose it should work with Vista too, because it's an external software. I think I found it from The Green Button.

Dont you get a mediacenter remote with WMC? Why want a controller if you can get a remote for 25bucks? I got one and I love it.

Key word here being Vista. In Vista both Ultimate and Home Premium come with MediaCenter. It is not a seperate OS. Neither of these when bought retail come with a remote. Why should I have to spend $25 on a remote when I can spend $50 on a Gamepad that easily handles said functions plus is a great way to interact on my couch with games when I do not feel like being in an uncomfortable position with a mouse and keyboard setup that there's no way of relaxing with.

Why you'd want to controll your pc with a controller? a mouse is faster, more accurate and alot more comfortable.

I put couch in bold for a reason. A keyboard and mouse is much more accurate and at my desk I greatly prefer a keyboard and mouse over a gamepad, but there are certain places where a keyboard and mouse just simply are not at all suited for..... a couch for instance or a recliner in a comfortable position.

Why would you want your PC to have console functionality? A mouse and keyboard are about a billion times better than any gamepad for pc things. You'll be in for a real nightmare if you need to browse, chat, type in word, use photoshop, use max etc with only a gamepad. There is only one controller wich is decent at browsing and that is the wiicontroller and only because its more like a mouse than a gamepad. As far as gaming goes, most ''pc genres'' are better playable with a mouse and keyboard so no real need for a gamepad either. Besides, most games support gamepads so you could still use one if you wanted. And yes opening the game explorer with a few buttons might have been nice but I dont think thats something people would really care about.

As pointed out I believe you clearly missed the point of the post. There are plenty of arguments about which is better a keyboard and mouse, and in my own opinion I'd rather game for accuracy with a keyboard and mouse, however if I were to own an HTPC and wanted to game on a TV instead of at the desk on a monitor I would much rather use a gamepad. I would also much rather have one device that handles all functions. A gamepad while awkward looking as a remote can perform all of the functions just fine, plus it can handle most game genres very well. RPG games, fighting, racing, sports, etc. In those instances it would be wonderful to have a device such as the Xbox 360 controller that can handle everything with ease. I strongly believe one of computers greatest disadvantages in the gaming market is the fact that people feel forced onto their desk, and really they are. Microsoft had a chance (they really still do, its very early and updated drivers is all that is needed) to capitalize on this once fault.

Skrying pretty much answered as I would have however I just wanted to point out a couple of key points in response to your post.

1) Yes the traditional PC genres are better played with a keyboard and mouse, but couldn't that be down to the fact of how poorly controllers are intergrated with the PC? Perhaps with better intergration we would see more variety of PC genres.

2) Putting all the advantages aside that Skrying has already highlighted, the main argument for implementing this is "why not"? Would would be at a disadbantage compared to not implementing it? No one. I personally believe that many people would make great use of this once educated and it would help to improve the profile of the PC as an easy to use games machine greatly if marketed properly but even if its only advantageous to 1% of the PC market, its such a simple addition to PC functionality that it should be worth it.

Back