XB360 Price drop announced!

Guys, if you really want to know if peripheral prices are a deterrent for purchasing a system I think you really need to ask consumers that buy at the $200US or less pricepoints. Personally I don't know of anybody else in this forum other than myself that does in fact have such a low income where they have to wait till the $200US or $150US pricepoints. Before the Xbox 360 prices were announced I told myself that I would consider buying one at launch if the package came with a hard drive and wireless controller and was priced at $300US. No other peripherals were considered. So, naturally I didn't get one and I still won't get one till a price drop. Anyway, like other people I know, most buy the one system package with 1 or 2 games and never considers any additional peripherals. With that said it's both the $300US and $400US prices that are the deterrent, not the peripherals. Peripherals are something that can be gradually purchased over time and not something they have to have on day one of their system purchase. Personally I never bought any additional peripherals for my first Xbox until about 8-10 months later.

Anyway, I can't personally fault Microsoft for their 2 SKUs and 2 pricepoints. I initially hated the 2 SKU approach, but after some time I understood it. So now I like how they're able to give customers different choices on how to get their system. As for the pricepoints, again I understand it even if I don't like it. I personally believe MS knew that with first mover advantage that they could get away with $300US/$400US pricepoints for the first year or so. They knew that even when Sony did launch their system, that Xbox 360 at $300US/$400US would still be cheaper. Had Sony lowered their prices I don't think we would see Microsoft at $300US/$400US. I hate to blame Sony for everything, but I seriously can't see how Microsoft could get away with their current prices if weren't for the fact that Sony comes out a year later and costs $100US-$200US more.

I feel next spring when Sony is able to start meeting demand, you'll see Microsoft really get serious about dropping prices. Be that the systems or the peripherals. Till then I don't blame them for taking advantage of the current prices they already have in place. Hopefully by the time I get my tax refund back next Spring, Microsoft will have made those price drops. ;)

Tommy McClain

So you based your entire decision on the inclusion of 2 peripherals?

Yes, you did make the correct distinction here: INCLUSION in the bundle. My point is that people like me who buy a system do not usually buy EXTRA seperate peripherals at time of first system purchase. They spend that money on games instead. So like Rancid, I don't think dropping the price of the individual peripherals is enough to spur much more sales. Dropping the price of the actual system packages will do more for that. In fact, IMO they could leave the peripheral prices the same and drop the Core and Premium $50 and spur much more sales.

Tommy McClain

Yes, you did make the correct distinction here: INCLUSION in the bundle. My point is that people like me who buy a system do not usually buy EXTRA seperate peripherals at time of first system purchase. They spend that money on games instead. So like Rancid, I don't think dropping the price of the individual peripherals is enough to spur much more sales. Dropping the price of the actual system packages will do more for that. In fact, IMO they could leave the peripheral prices the same and drop the Core and Premium $50 and spur much more sales.

Tommy McClain

That's only because your magic number is $300. For someone else, it might be $350 or whatever, and they could go with the Core package if it weren't for the overpriced harddrive.

I don't really view memory storage as an 'extra' peripheral, and the fundamental problem is the pricing of the memory storage which renders the core package next to useless.

£199 GBP is still $375 USD

That is still A LOT for the core pack. You can buy the Premium pack in Japan for only $299 right now. Poor brits are getting the pole.
Bear in mind that the prices quoted for the UK always include the 17.5% VAT - pre-tax price is the equivelent of $309 USD (at todays exchange).

Pretty much all of Europe is getting the short stick usually with console prices. Lets take a look of PS3 price for example. 599$ (I won't count taxes on this one) thats 469€, but instead we have to pay 599 (Probably 650€ with taxes, which is 829.725$) in Finland for the "Heavy" package. :LOL:

€599 includes VAT, or is there an additional tax on top of that in Finland?

€599 includes VAT, or is there an additional tax on top of that in Finland?

Oh I didn't know that. Better for me I guess! :D

Don't think there's anything else, if I recall correctly.

So its 599€ then. Not that shocking cause the PS2 was 3000 Finnish marks in launch (Which is equivalent to 500€). :)

Probably closer to 600€ if you count the inflation. :)

Back