X1800XT and 1366x768 resolution through DVI?

After playing with this for couple days I must say I'm very pleased. Only problem I have is that X1800XT's fan is too loud so I have to replace it.

I'm running Media Center and playing everything through that. Ffdshow is used to postprocess xdivs etc. and imho the image quality is really really nice. I can't get ffdshow to work with dvds, but that is solvable with ThermalTek's dvd software.

I tried Dark Messiah demo yesterday and damn, it's quite a different experience to play games through 37" tv rather than 17" monitor.

Hmm. Haven't got the DVI-cable yet, the component gives a picture streched over the edges of the screen a bit. Why doesn't the "old" ATI control center offer the screen size adjustment? That sucks.

Hmm. Haven't got the DVI-cable yet, the component gives a picture streched over the edges of the screen a bit. Why doesn't the "old" ATI control center offer the screen size adjustment? That sucks.

That is because HDTV modes have to have overscan. This is compliancy thing from old CRT versions, where you were basically forced to have overscan, which led to minimum and maximum overscan limitation between the broadcasters and manufacturers. (this is for that no one should see black borders and still everyone should be seing at least same picture area. again broadcasters left minimum overscan amount of black borders to picture, to ensure that everyone can see almost same image. While LCD's could now display full picture, there's enough HDTV CRTs in use to keep already defined overscan values.)

WHat a messy explanation, but hopefully you got the clue. :)

oh btw, I have 1366x768 pixel perfect with 6600GT AGP. while it used to take about 2-4 hours to hand tune that resolution with powerstrip after each driver install, I was suprised since updating to 90.xx series, because now the mode was already there. I don't know if drivers left user modes untouched this time or if they automaticlly based on EID information added those user modes in the list...

go figure... Still I am happy that it works. :)

Pixel perfect but not with component I suppose? AFAIK with DVI it should work flawlessly (I ordered a DVI cable already, just not here yet).

And the GF offer screen size adjustment, so it's a no-brainer. ATI control panel doesn't (won't use CCC).

Pixel perfect but not with component I suppose? AFAIK with DVI it should work flawlessly (I ordered a DVI cable already, just not here yet).

And the GF offer screen size adjustment, so it's a no-brainer. ATI control panel doesn't (won't use CCC).

afaik, getting 1366x768 with DVI looks like to be really rare feature. I actually don't have any reliablity in few finnish forums, because no one seems to believe I have that as pixel perfect.

1360x768 works quite good in most cases though, but there's some models that don't take anything else than 720p50/60 or 1080i50/60 from DVI/HDMI connector. everything else is just stupidly centered next bigger one of those and then downscaled to panel. (so while trying 1366x768, you get image with HUGE borders on every side, because of moronic "center to bigger and then scale" design. :(

and reason for this? at least Samsung tech support stated that Digital Connector (DVI or HDMI) is for only HDTV sources and not for PC use. grrr...

LG supports PC through DVI and VGA at full resolution (except for those 3 lines of pixels at each side)

most TV's only support VGA and some only up to 1024 (bravias and many others)

OK, with DVI it works fine, pixel-perfect and all. Another problem: all font-AA is gone! Even after enabling clear-type, the system dialogs are just too thin/small. Does anyone know how to make it look better? I mean for example the dialog you open with desktop --> right click --> settings. The font in there is just 1 pix thick and really unreadable from more than 1m.

..playing live for speed right now at 1360x768 with 9800pro through DVI to my HDTV LG 32LX2r

im having 1:1 mapping. The card reads the Tv information just fine.

the tv res is 1366x768, DVI only see's 1360x768, but my TV DOES NOT strech the image to fit those extra 6 pixels, so its perfect :)

Curious. I've just bought one of these TVs (32LX2R), and it doesn't have a DVI input. At least nothing that resembles the sort of DVI connector I'm used to...

I tried using a DVI->HDMI cable but all I get are some weird interlaced modes (I have to create a custom 1360x768 resolution). Under Linux the NVIDIA drivers refuse to believe that the panel is capable of anything above 720x480.

EDIT: Yep, looks like they've stealth changed the specs, even though the website still explicitly says DVI-I and HDMI. Bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a phillips pf9731d/10 32" and it doesn't support anything other than 720p or 1080i over hdmi. In vga is even worse as it only supports 1024. Everything above that gives you a nive out-of-sync blue image. But I don't really care as movies and such look great and games too.

Btw, I have a x1600pro in my htpc, and it doesn't support 1366x768. The closer I got was 1360x768, but then it switched to 1080i and resized the image to fit the screen :???:

Back