www.techingames.net - A Game Feature Tracker and Comparison Database

@Arwin i registered, confiremed the email, but cant login. "
  • Invalid login attempt."
i wonder what i did wrong

EDIT:
lol i put email instead of username. Now i can login but got thies error

Server Error in '/' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
GameTech.Helpers.DataObjectHelper.Stamp(BaseObject& obj, String actionName, IPrincipal user) +295
GameTech.Helpers.DataObjectHelper.HandleReputation(IPrincipal user, String objectType, DataObject objectToAudit, String actionName, Boolean IsVerified, ApplicationDbContext db, ApplicationUser appUser) +997
GameTech.Controllers.<Login>d__4.MoveNext() +1557
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) +144
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) +84
System.Web.Mvc.Async.TaskAsyncActionDescriptor.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +143
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass37.<BeginInvokeAsynchronousActionMethod>b__36(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +23
System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncInvocationWithFilters.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__3d() +112
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass46.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__3f() +452
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass33.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__32(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +15
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass2b.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1c() +37
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass21.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1e(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +241
System.Web.Mvc.Controller.<BeginExecuteCore>b__1d(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ExecuteCoreState innerState) +29
System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +111
System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecuteCore(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +53
System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +19
System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ProcessRequestState innerState) +51
System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +111
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.OnAsyncHandlerCompletion(IAsyncResult ar) +282

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18447

Strange - something going wrong with the automatic assignment of Reputation. I'll look at this ... I've done it manually for now. Could you try to login again?

EDIT: I think it's fixed.

Last edited:
I've been working a bit on making an html embed easier to handle as well, which could be less work in some cases. For instance, http://www.techingames.net/Games/Ga...l=false&categoryName=Graphics&platformTag=PS4

Should basically use only stylesheet http://www.techingames.net/Content/techingames.css

Which uses only prefixed style names (tig_) so risks at conflict is minimal and you can choose between taking the default techingames.css and tweaking it for your own needs or making your own, much easier.

I've had to enable cross-site stuff to allow iframes, so I've done that, and I've also learnt that style sheets don't travel across iframes so I've created a special light layout page for the embedded pages, and these have hard links to the site opening in a new page/tab.

I've also created an as yet much less pretty but compact table view:
http://www.techingames.net/Games/Ga...anLegends&partial=false&categoryName=Graphics

Attractiveness of the table embed slightly improved. May look into creating a more compact version of the badges too, and perhaps one that gives a bit more overview of the game, its latest version, etc. Perhaps also something with collapse built in, since iFrame is the only option for this really anyway. And I just discovered the detail tag, and really happy, and then that IE doesn't support it. Oh MS ...

I've just implemented the platform filters. If you now go to platforms, select, say, Windows, XboxOne or PS4, and then under User Filter choose add new filter, it will setup a filter automatically to include this platform in your results. This will then apply to game searches, the front page, your Report in your User Panel on your favored features, etc. (I will at some point probably add a 'favorite' button for adding or removing this filter)

I've now also implemented the feature filters for value entry, and cleaned up the feedback on entered values. You no longer get a popup, but color coded feedback on the value that was updated, and if there was a (validation) error, you get to see that message too.

For instance, here I've added same device multiplayer to my user filters, and because I have a feature filter, it will default to showing the filtered list here.

As the Same Device also has child items, the tree appears as usual for me to expand.

ajax_update_with_feedback.png

Together with this I've also made some efficiency improvements when entering a new game, it will forward you to the new version page, showing only your favorite platforms if you have any, and filling in all the default information so you basically only have to check the region and the releasedate. After that, it will go straight to that version's features so you can enter those. Once that's done you can do sync or copy to create the other versions and tweak those values from there.

After having done some data entry, that last change is very, very nice. I've also cleaned up the embedding by now having a single point of entry for it and cleaning up the parameters. So www.techingames.net/embed?id=RaymanLegends&platforms=WiiU,Vita etc.

Also changed the cross platform sync to show in the version overview, changed its default behavior to no longer create versions but just sync the feature values, added a cross-gen sync (currently defaults to gen 7,8). Creating the versions is then done by just using the Copy option.

Added shortcut icons for adding/removing platforms and features to the user filters and fixed an issue with adding game versions not always returning the correct view.

Created an embed for Features. Will eventually get more data, but it's a start. Just added an image for this one now for testing - it's waaaay late for doing more than just this one. ;) The rest has a placeholder logo right now.

http://www.techingames.net/embed?feature=Playstation Move

I've also put these in the Details tab panel for the Feature on the site itself.

I couldn't actually find the layout suggested by orangepelupa, or I would have based it on that more precisely probably. ;)

Some small updates, among others embedding for Credits and cleaning up the layout of credits, and a new front-page layout (still clearly not definitive) that I think looks better.

I've also been experimenting with creating some videos about the site. This is just a first test, but I do think it already gives you a pretty decent overview of the basics. Will go into more depth and create better videos, with voice overs, later.

Although I primarily work on PC, I have an old Mac Mini that I bought to try out iOS development originally, and a little while ago I updated it to Yosemity. Today I learnt that this together with its version of QuickTime allows you to report your iPad output over Lightning to USB very easily, works great.

Been down with the flu for a week, but managed to do some small fixes yesterday (more didn't work properly in some places). Have to get back to making some more videos.

Quite little actually (, or an enormous amount if I were to fully describe a game to the last detail). I think I optimized the UI quite well now. By far the most time is for getting the information, for instance some DF articles are more vague than others, sometimes wiki provides more sometimes less.

So the only real answer would be depends on the details. I can get a DF article covered in minutes, add a game, some versions and a few features in under 60 secs. But sometimes my only access to release notes is from typing them over from my PS4 ...

So far I've preferred to spend most time on the programming side. ;)

How much time does it take you to add the details of a game?

So updating the Last of Us to get all the available info in there correctly was a bit more time, reading the various Digital Foundry articles, linking them, etc.

I am struggling a tiny bit with how to properly handle things like remasters and HD versions. Should they have a separate 'Game' entry or just appear as a separate version only? Not 100% sure about this. It works ok now that if they are a child of another game, that game will show the version information of any child in its Overview for comparison. But the synchronisation options and such then do not work yet. So either they should be versions. But they should also have a 'release' name. Perhaps the first version of any release should have its own game name as an additional option - games sometimes have different names in different regions as well.

What I think you need is a selection system where a user can select specific titles and SKUs with a checkbox and then click "Compare" to see them side-by-side in the overview or whatever mode. So for TLOU, I'd type "The Last of Us" into the search and see both PS3 and PS4 versions, then tick them both and compare. This perhaps should be extended to multiplatform titles, so a user selects which platforms to view? The default could be all of them. This system could be extended to compare titles with the same engine (search for engine, select a few titles based on date maybe to see how the engine has evolved).

My 2c ;)

I think it's ok that if you go to The Last of Us and then Overview, that you see all versions there at once. Then right now, say that you were looking at multi-platform, multi-gen games, and you are only interested in specific platforms, you can go to Platforms and set your favorite platforms right there. Then only these will be shown in the Overview. So I think that's pretty close already?

And if you look from the perspective of a specific feature, like a certain engine, you also automatically get a list of games that use it. The only thing not possible right now, which I agree could be interesting, is comparing completely different titles.

My main problem with the release thing is that there are re-releases and bundles even on the same platform sometimes, with different versions, etc. that make things confusing. Right now a game has a version, and that version can be a different version number (patch), a different region, a different platform, or any combination of those. Perhaps I should have platform, region and distribution bound together as a 'release', to which versions are then tied.

Currently it all pans out ok - it doesn't matter if feature values is tied to one platform version or the other really - I just combine feature values from all of them for the game and regroup them under a game's platform, otherwise you'd have a lot of duplicate data. But that could clean things up - generally a game eventually keeps the same version numbers across regions, independent of release dates and small differences that sometimes exist (typically just content, censorship, etc.). But creating a 'release' object level would clean this up, and the release could then get a different name in a different region, etc. So I could simplify versions to just be attached to game and platform, and a games' region and specific name could go to the 'release' object level.

A good example why versions should still be platform bound is GTA V on PS3 vs PS4. Version numbers here aren't synchronous - e.g. version 1.20 is basically the same as 1.06 on PS4. Again though, from a features perspective it doesn't really matter.

So you could get something like Franchise (don't have this yet) -> Game -> Release (Don't have this yet) -> Version -> Feature values, and you would want to be able to search top level on Franchise, Game, Release, or all three at once.

Thanks, I've updated it. Anyone any input on what the AF level is? Or what level I should put in if it's not clear? Should I default to 16x or 8x (as I've done now).

Site went down just after I updated the F1 2015 information and just before I wanted to add the Project: Cars release date. Hosting partner site is also down, so it's clear where the problem is ... Hopefully it won't be long before everything is back up.

Back