www.techingames.net - A Game Feature Tracker and Comparison Database

Somewhere over the next few days the site will start supporting https, and once everything works correctly probably also require it. So you may see some hiccups and oddities here and there in the process. Not only doing this for security, but also because it is necessary for Beyond3D integration.

In addition, I've started working on creating an update feed that will list all additions and updates in the database. I was already tracking all that from day one, but now using that to generate a feed. You can see it in action on the main page under the new Updates tab, but I will also integrate it in various other places over time. Admins can also verify the updates immediately from that feed, making that process much more efficient.

Site is now live with https!

Also, I've improved the Update feed, and also added it to the game details page as a tab, so you can get all updates about that particular game.

Great stuff! I see the TechInGames entry appears under game entries which is quite cool. However, the aesthetic doesn't quite work, perhaps especially on the dark theme. We get a bit white rectangle with the rounded boxes, and rather chunky text. The overall effect is kinda overpowering. Could you refine the in-line graphics to be a lot simple, making direct quoting in discussions more natural? Something more akin to a table view perhaps with a reference to the game and properties?

tig_compact is a table. Dark theme issue is listed under known issues already, I was using it myself ;) we'll definitely be refining thingd, keep the input coming!

Great stuff! I see the TechInGames entry appears under game entries which is quite cool. However, the aesthetic doesn't quite work, perhaps especially on the dark theme. We get a bit white rectangle with the rounded boxes, and rather chunky text. The overall effect is kinda overpowering. Could you refine the in-line graphics to be a lot simple, making direct quoting in discussions more natural? Something more akin to a table view perhaps with a reference to the game and properties?

Aparet from the compact view as mentioned above, as you can see and mentioned elsewhere, the background color issue was fortunately easily solved by setting the background to transparent, and the bottom tag has now been changed to one that fills the width and fits a bit better (didn't know it would have the full row available when I designed that badge initially). Keep the suggestions coming!

I've just done some fixes and updates:
- adding links now uses a facebook style 'grab ograph or whatever information' automatic collecting of link information such as name, description, screenshot, source, etc. So you now only generally have to add the actual link and it will fill out nicely. It's not yet live how facebook does it, but just paste the link, save, and that's generally it.
- changed the layout of links to reflect the above, for the site and for embedding
- fixed an issue with user review scores not updating when deleting items
- fixed an issue with review scores not updating when deleting items
- added a duplicate Hashtag check for adding Games
- youtu.be paths are now parsed correctly for embedding

That's it for now

Quick test/demo:

EDIT: got a little more layouting than I bargained for, maybe not yet ideal, but need sleep now. ;) Not all these links are updated yet btw.

Last edited:
arwin,i just added pach for destiny but i noticed that the patch notes box is very small. maybe make it as pop up hover-tooltip or "click to expand" (like youtube comment or play-store description) ?

I use Chrome, which just allows you to resize that box by dragging the corner. Highly recommended ;)

Will look at what I can do for other browsers though.

Last edited:
Updated the site so that review links now also process the name, description, imageurl, and sitename automatically, and reordered the create link form so that those come at the bottom with indication that they will be automatically filled when left empty. Also updated the layout of the reviews, links and embedded versions a little to be a bit more clean and compact, and to show an imageurl if a site provided one where I hadn't already.

EDIT: and when testing, discovered that some sites don't actually have wisened up to the whole metadata thing, so although they deserve to be ignored, for now I'm automatically constructing a publication name from the site link.

Last edited:
Just heard Jeff Gerstman say on the Bombcast that he thinks reviews should go back to quoting the version that was reviewed. Finally! Hope they do. It was very interesting to hear that Gamespot used to do this way back when. It explains the api setup, that I've looked at.

I've opened up the OData interface so external clients can read data from it, meaning that you can now easily write clients for consuming data from there ... I'm learning a tonne of new stuff about web programming at my current job, so to exercise that a bit outside of work I'm writing an AngularJS client for consuming the data and will make that into a full CQRS setup. Just doing it as a training exercise, so not sure how far I'll take it, but it's starting to work quite well - I have a simple search for games and links working against it in AngularJS already, and it's certainly faster, and easier this way to control caching, make more involved client logic etc. So we'll see where this ends :)

So it didn't go very far just yet, did it? ;) Been too busy learning new stuff and not enough public interest I guess. Anyway, I do occasionally still add stuff when DF covers something, and recently noticed that when adding 4k stuffy for PS4 Pro, I realise we really need to have a more involved resolution support setup, because you need to be able to track 1080p framerate as well as 4K framerate, and then there is 30fps modes and 60fps modes in some games as well. So in some cases we'll need to support multiple display profiles.

While working on another project, I've also thought that it could be really nice to put this information into WikiData somehow. That would expose it better and to more people, and make it more reusable in the end probably. So that's something to look at, and perhaps also worthy for other people keeping track of this kind of information ...

Not sure where to post this, but VGTech did an analysis of the Destiny 2 beta for PS4 and PS4 Pro.

CBR dynamic res (3072x2160 - 3840x2160) on Pro with downsampling on 1080p displays, and native 1080p on standard PS4. Framerate seems pretty solid on both, but there appears to be some framepacing issues?

Back