wmp11 as mp3 encoder

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
hi,

is wmp11's mp3 encoder good enough for cd ripping?

are there better alternatives?

I'm talking about 320kbps mp3's.

thank you.

It is the Fraunhofer Professional encoder so it is probably pretty good. Even BladeEnc was kinda good at 320Kbps :D

Better alternatives? Foobar2000 and LAME? Does it have to be MP3? Foobar2000 and Oggenc2? Foobar2000 and Nero ACC encoder?

There are many alternatives, but if you like WMP11 and you want MP3, you should just use it..

Does WMP11 start quicker than versions 9 and 10? Coz those have pretty horrible startup times (and memory use).

I don't undertand how a simple media player can require so much in the way of resources.. Thgat's not progress..
Peace.

For me WMP11 starts up just as fast as ZoomPlayer.

I use the /Task:NowPlaying command line parameter in the WMP11 shortcut because I don't use it for anything else than playing videos.

I'm guessing WMP11 has gotten so big because of the library system, the rip, burn and sync stuff and the DRM system. :D

Does WMP11 start quicker than versions 9 and 10? Coz those have pretty horrible startup times (and memory use).

I don't undertand how a simple media player can require so much in the way of resources.. Thgat's not progress..
Peace.

WMP11 is a HUGE MASSIVE ULTRA improvement from WMP9 and 10, at least in my experience. I actually find 11 useful and neat, the past two..... not so much. I use Foobar however for my music after finding a amazing custom interface someone created. My player history has went as so: Winamp -> Foobar -> Winamp -> WMP11 -> Foobar.

Foobar however can be a real pain for a novice and without any add-ons its basically useless. Once you learn the scripting language and experiment with add-ons however it really can be anything you want.

Foobar (...) without any add-ons its basically useless.
I would totally dispute that. The built-in masstagger is awesome and the CD-ripper is great (CDex-ish). Also some of us don't need a pretty interface, it just needs to be functional; I have my Foobar minimized to the systray for most of the time. :)

I would totally dispute that. The built-in masstagger is awesome and the CD-ripper is great (CDex-ish). Also some of us don't need a pretty interface, it just needs to be functional; I have my Foobar minimized to the systray for most of the time. :)

Lol. Well yeah, there are a lot of great features to Foobar (and its so tiny!) but for my own use I find it rather clunky till I at least get Columns UI installed and some various configs going.

For those interested, here's a link to the setup I use.

Back