Windows XP hangs on startup, help please.

Se7en

Newcomer
I just switched from 98 to XP and all the software is loaded, but everytime I start the system it hangs at the "Welcome" screen. Can't access any programs and the CMOS has a password on it that I didn't put on. (I'mt he only person who accesses my computer) Help would be good, mockery wouldn't be unappreciated.

Nope, my PC is a PC. It's pretty old, 5 years, but it surpassess all of the systems requirements. My theory is that perhaps it had viruses that didn't affect 98 because they were designed for XP but now that XP is on there they're shutting it down.

What brand or where did you buy your PC? Most places do bios lock their PCs with a very simple password to keep people from breaking their own PCs, if you call their tech support number they'll tell it to you.

Erm, it was put together by hand. I won it at a silent auction to support school charities several years back.

Se7en said:
Erm, it was put together by hand. I won it at a silent auction to support school charities several years back.

normally, there's a jumper on your motherboard that resets the CMOS password. If your got the manual or at least know the model and brand of your mb, you can find the right jumper.

Back