Windows XP and how it handles RAM

mkillio

Regular
My sister has a Gateway laptop, the MX3230 to be exact and it only came with 256mb of RAM. After a lot of time and tons of frustration, I finally found some RAM that worked for it, I ordered a 1GB stick but windows and CachemanXP only recognize it as 512mb (it's CL4 btw, also frustrating), so I'm assuming they sent me the wrong ram, it does say 1gb on the stick though.

Any ways, she only does your basic e-mail and web browsing so with all things being equal, will she see a performance increase with the 1gb? i.e. does Windows XP Home Edition, use more ram if it's available?

The bottom line is, should I return the RAM and get 1GB or should I just say forget it, stick with the 512mb and have them credit my account?

It only holds one stick, another horrible design flaw.

Standard Memory 256 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory 1.0 GB
Memory Expansion 1 socket
Memory Comments PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMMs.
CPU Type 1.5GHz Intel Celeron M 370
Model Comments 400MHz FSB, Via VN800 Chipset

Zaphod said:
Are you using both sticks (does it even have two)? I can't be bothered to look up the specs of that Gateway, but it probably doesn't support more than two banks of RAM and/or doesn't recognize the second bank on your double sided (I assume, since it sees 512MB) DIMM. Try it with only the new stick (in both slots if needed). That might give you 1GB at least.
It only holds one stick, another horrible design flaw.
Yeah. I was just about to correct that assumption when you posted inbetween. (A quick google got the better of my "can't be bothered" attitude... ;)) One slot and one bank, apparently. You'll need a 1GB single sided DIMM.

There's no guarantee it will work. Plus I already have a history with gateway now and either need to return it or at least get some money back.

Double sided DIMM (as in two banks/ranks of 512MB each, not necessarily chips on both sides). The computer supports only one bank of RAM. Here, the DIMM probably have lower density memory chips, which from the memory controllers POV is the equivalent of of two single sided/bank DIMMs.

Depending on the motherboard design, we can run also out of "banks" before we run out of physical slots. In this case, I'm guessing Gateway saved a couple of cents by not routing some traces to the one slot they do provide (the chipset claims support for 4GB). According to the Crucial memory configurator, a compatible 1GB DIMM seems to be eight 128Mx8 (or four 128Mx16) memory chips yielding a 128Mx64 (bits) DIMM module (1GB). I'm guessing the offending DIMM has eight 64Mx16 chips.

Back in the day, this used to be a similar/opposite problem with (what was then) high density chips caused the memory controller to address only half the available rows.

Apologies for any inaccuracies. It's been a while.

There's no guarantee it will work. Plus I already have a history with gateway now and either need to return it or at least get some money back.

What do you mean "there's no guarantee it will work"?

That's the whole point of using Crucial's memory configurator. THERE IS A GUARANTEE.

And I can guaran-damn-tee you it's gonna be cheaper than what Gateway will charge.

;)

The Crucial RAM runs about $15 more than the Gateway memory. Also I used PNY's memory configurator and the ram I used didn't work. Obviously PNY is not nearly as good as crucial but the point still stands.

Back