Windows Vista comes in 7 flavours

Rumors are floating around that there will be up to 20.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Media Center Edition!!! REDUX!!!

Guden Oden said:
I don't even want to think about how expensive that ultra uber super ultimate edition's going to be... :rolleyes:

I think there labeling that version as Media Center Edition!!! REDUX!!! (GUI is supposed to be named Aeros Diamond). This is a theory..but this may be how the pricing goes.....

• 1.) Base Price for OS: $200
    2.)$50 for every device connected to your Media Center
    3.)Microsoft will start charging for Patches - $10/each
    4.)Changing your Screen Resolution will now set up back 5 cents
    5.)If your system blue screens out, Microsoft will blame you and make you buy Media Center Edition!!! REDUX!!!....again.

Of course...this is all subject to change
shiftyeyes3d.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
geez what if you wanted it for just gaming...and maybe a little dev/mod work, but aren't into all the dvd burning, music downloads, etc, etc. sounds like game tweaker (whatever that is) is only in the ultimate (extreme) version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll think positive and hope that there will be a thinned-out version just for usual home use (gaming, movies, TV, mail, internet, burning - just the most basic stuff) for maybe $50-$70. I'd be perfectly happy with a stable simple gaming/basic media system with no extras. Basically not much more than the upcoming consoles, but with all standard x86-Win software available.

_xxx_ said:
I'll think positive and hope that there will be a thinned-out version just for usual home use (gaming, movies, TV, mail, internet, burning - just the most basic stuff) for maybe $50-$70. I'd be perfectly happy with a stable simple gaming/basic media system with no extras. Basically not much more than the upcoming consoles, but with all standard x86-Win software available.

Well, there is the starter edition which allows you to run a maximum of three programs simultaneously.
icon_smile.gif

$50-70? heh, I think that's very unrealistic when we take current pricing into consideration. For example WXP Pro OEM costs here $180 and the retail version sits at $420 - wow, and they wonder there's such high rate of piracy here :rolleyes:

Thats why bill invented 7in1 cd's

I do like that I read MCE can be both a OS and an extender.

Hopefully the extender is like Vista Lite or something with bare neccesities needed to be run as a mce extender. That be cool for using older hardware as an extender box.

Well,it is very irritating and will certainly confuse the customer.
I think that Starter and Home Basic versions are jokes.
No Aero GUI ?
Why not stay with XP in this case ?
For me things are pretty clear.
There are only 2 versions which interest me:
*Home Premium
*Ultimate
And i will more likely buy the latter.

It seems has this OS their releasing...its not that much different than XP. Just more secure. So to differentiate the OS from XP...they want to release as many GUI's as possible to confuse the consumer. Make them believe their getting a whole new OS....thats part of the reason they probably changed the start menu as they did (the Programs list is a little disettling). The ONLY good thing I see with Vista is UAP and that probably could have been implimented in XP as a service pack or patch of some sort.

BlueTsunami said:
It seems has this OS their releasing...its not that much different than XP. Just more secure. So to differentiate the OS from XP...they want to release as many GUI's as possible to confuse the consumer. Make them believe their getting a whole new OS....thats part of the reason they probably changed the start menu as they did (the Programs list is a little disettling). The ONLY good thing I see with Vista is UAP and that probably could have been implimented in XP as a service pack or patch of some sort.

urm.....DRM?....rings a bell?
other then that...7 is too much, 20????...fuck thats idiotic....

silence said:
urm.....DRM?....rings a bell?
other then that...7 is too much, 20????...fuck thats idiotic....

Well i'm talking from a user perspective. What exactly is in Vista that will benefit the user? Nothing that i've seen so far...some connection stuff that could be installed on XP as a separate functionality (like Media Connect). I also hate the fact that I have to get Media Edition just to get the full functionality of the OS. Just release two OSs Business and Home..thats all thats needed.

DRM I see as a hinderence to the end user. I would actually like it to dissappear...

BlueTsunami said:
What exactly is in Vista that will benefit the user? Nothing that i've seen so far...some connection stuff that could be installed on XP as a separate functionality (like Media Connect).

Well, there is a hefty list of supposed new features, some of which actually seem decent. However, whether or not the upgrade is justified and MS can deliver on their promises is another thing altogether.

Maybe I get excited too easilly, but simply reading Paul Thurrott's review of Beta 1, made me want to get in on the action now.

I havent ben disapointed one bit(except when my AV software hosed the installation)

IE7 alone was worth the install, much less the other features which I'm still exploring.

Sorry if I'm a putz for not snubbing this OS, like most people are....I simply wanted something new to play with, and beta 1 delivered.

Back