Windows 98 problems

linthat22

Regular
Today when I started up my computer I notcied Windows will not boot up. The splash screen comes on and then it goes away with a message. The message basically said that a certain file is missing and to hit another key to keep booting up windows. Well, it's 3 files and they are all .VXD files. Also, I noticed somehow my autoexec.bat file got trashed, luckily I found a back up for that on my hard drive. What I don' t understand though is that yesterday it was fine and I know for a fact neither me or my wife deleted anything, especially in the Windows folder. Windows will let me in safe mode, and scan disk won't run. And also it doesn't show my CDROM drive, so I can't try to install my video card drivers or at least DirectX. That is all I can think of, any takers out there?

Well, the .vxd files were vgartd, gckernel, and something else. But like a dumbass, what I did was, was restore my old regestry from 1.2 years ago. VERY BIG MISTAKE. Eventhough I have to reinstall almost everything so that Windows will recognize it, Solitaire and Freecell started to work again. What I did to fix it was, going into the registry and deleting to 3 static .VXD files that were coming up missing and then everything was fine for me. I didn't delete anything or move anything. Trust me I've had a computer since the Apple II days, so I know not to delete anything that will not effect anything else. But I really do the response, eventhough they were questions, lol. But in all honesty thank you.

Back