Will Ps3 non-gaming features bottleneck gaming?

internetboy said:
I opened my Windows task manager. All tasks simultanous.

1 IE6 to Sony Connect takes ~40mb
Winamp5 128kb Mp3 takes ~9mb
Windows Media Hd 1080p takes ~25mb
Msn Text Chat takes ~16mb

I think it is a risky to have bloated Os vs your games when your enemy have the same RAM footprint out now.

This is true but don't use Windows as a reference. PS3 has an embedded/closed system OS which is typically lean. It has no legacy Windows OS features to support. Its design goals and application architecture are also very different from Windows.

Finally it depends on how your apps are written. If they run on .Net/C# stuff, it will be hefty. Even if you use MFC vs ATL, you can do the same thing in 5 Mb ATL compared to 13Mb MFC.

EDIT:
Since we are dealing with HD content (e.g., recording HD broadcast), the memory foot-print of the data should be the bigger than the OS code (How much memory to decode 1 1080p frame while the other is being compressed and written to disk)... assuming PS3 allows you to run PVR functions in the background.

Last edited by a moderator:
DarkRage said:
C for core, I guess.
C0 = main core in 360, 100% available to the developer. C1 and C2 have some power reserved to the OS (<5%)

C1 &2 are reserved by 10% each by the OS, according to that well known Dev. paper released by MS.

Maybe it will be like PCs where some people will run slower than others. If you have a TV show being recorded while you’re gaming then it will slow your game down. Hopefully not by to much but never the less it will have an effect. I like this idea better than always reserving resources for the OS even when they are not being used.

Back